Umineko Gold Edition Kickstarter coming (Delayed to 14 Nov - 14 Dec 2018)

snowbell55

Just seen this on Reddit. It looks like they're going to be including full English voice acting for free to existing Steam owners of Umineko (if successfully funded), as well as PS3 graphics and some new content. 

https://www.umineko.us

Looks like it's been delayed, though :(. 

Edited by snowbell55
Added in to mention that it's been delayed

Oh wow, that's... something :pyaa:

What I heard from the English voice acting wasn't bad at all imo, though it feels pretty weird as I'm already used to the japanese voices. I don't know how to feel about the narrator. I think I'd personally prefer to read the narration and inner monologue to myself... the overly dramatic tone kinda breaks the atmosphere for me.

Anyway, I'm excited about this!

14 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

What I heard from the English voice acting wasn't bad at all imo, though it feels pretty weird as I'm already used to the japanese voices. I don't know how to feel about the narrator. I think I'd personally prefer to read the narration and inner monologue to myself... the overly dramatic tone kinda breaks the atmosphere for me.

english va´s aren´t even neccessarily bad imo, as long as a company won´t go for talentfree bums like many do.

Not a bad dub at all. I'll do a voice comparison later to decide if I want to take the English voices over the Japanese, but I'm definitely not turning it down outright. This may be an effective way to pull in a new audience to visual novels (especially with something as noteworthy as Umineko).

Hmm, I wonder if my mom might like this.

30 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

I was thinking the same thing, actually. I do hope they put in an option to mute the narrator to make the read more immersive.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention how much I love the OP dub. Normally I don't care much for dubbing Japanese songs, but this is damn good.

Edited by Kenshin_sama

This will sound mean but how can you compete with the japanese voices? Specially in umineko where every one is top notch really, specially Maria, Beatrice and Eva (just to name a few) 
Just by listening to the youtube video all the voices sound the same, even hideyoshi which should have some kind of accent sounds neutral (maybe a boston one?)
Battler was the only one that I liked in the video. 
The only way to do some justice would be to hire all the staff from the souls games but that's not going to happen.
Maybe I'm wrong and they will manage to do an awesome job. 

Either way I wish the best of luck to the project and I hope the succeed on their kickstarter (it's umineko so as long as they dont ask for something crazy they will reach the goal)

My main concern is actually the translation. I don't think even the best English voice actors will sound right if they're working off the current MangaGamer script. If you want a dub to sound right, the script has to be written in ways VN translations usually aren't, Umineko included.

Well, this is crazy. The first time I saw this on twitter I literally thought this was just an unfunny joke. I was honestly really suspicious whether the English dub is going to be good enough, but, listening to the voices in the preview... it actually sounds like I might actually prefer this to the Japanese version? :michiru:

I've been pinching myself all throughout the preview expecting to wake up. I'm curious how much this is going to cost to make considering everything down to the narration is going to be dubbed and it looks like they've made some good choices so far for the dub (it's pretty funny and fitting that Eva's english VA did the voice for Chi-Chi ). Am really interested in finding out who's going to voice Beatrice and pretty much any of the supernatural characters from Ronove to the Goat Butlers

4 hours ago, BookwormOtaku said:

I've been pinching myself all throughout the preview expecting to wake up. I'm curious how much this is going to cost to make considering everything down to the narration is going to be dubbed and it looks like they've made some good choices so far for the dub (it's pretty funny and fitting that Eva's english VA did the voice for Chi-Chi ). Am really interested in finding out who's going to voice Beatrice and pretty much any of the supernatural characters from Ronove to the Goat Butlers

It is important to note that the video itself is to demonstrate the *audiobook* that'll be released alongside the dub of the VN, so it's not necessarily different. 

14 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Almost forgot to mention how much I love the OP dub. Normally I don't care much for dubbing Japanese songs, but this is damn good.

The OP is freaking amazing. I get goosebumps every time :isla:

14 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

This will sound mean but how can you compete with the japanese voices? Specially in umineko where every one is top notch really, specially Maria, Beatrice and Eva (just to name a few) 

Yeah maybe, but the way I see it, that's unimportant. We are getting a DUBBED localization of not a random VNs, but an absolute behemoth like Umineko. This is history right here. And the English voices sound really good to top! 

If fuwanovel's motto is "make visual novels popular in the west", this should be a day to celebrate for any Fuwa member :wafuu:

I admit that it's quite interesting that this is the first big VN that got dubbed, and not to mention the VA did have quite well known (I need comprehensive list to check their works later) so it's good. Still thinking that this is redundant though consider that we already have this kind of patch with Japanese voice, but I guess the wide screen support should be enough to be considered as the improvement I guess, and more importantly English voice should be a biggest draw for English speaking people (ie the people who like to watch dubbed anime). Almost forget to say that the opening song was sang in English and it sounds good, so we should say good job to the singer there. Good luck to the campaign there.

PS - Nevermind about 'the first big VN that got dubbed' here, because turned out we got Danganronpa, Ar Tonelico, and Zero Escape that was dubbed. So let me rephrase it by saying that Umineko here is 'the first big Windows VN that got dubbed', and for the info all of the previous examples were for consoles while Umineko here is released as Windows VN for the first release.

Edited by littleshogun

8 minutes ago, Hetzer123 said:

Danganronpa and Zero Escape have English full audio listed as ico_bluecheck.png on steam page. Both of them are released by Spike Chunsoft.

I knew that both of Danganronpa and Zero Escape did have PC release, but the fact that those two did released for consoles (ie handheld one) still remain so it's still right when I say 'the first big Windows VN that got dubbed' because I'd talk about the VN that was truly from Windows as the first release, and both of Danganronpa and Zero Escape didn't count. Oh I also knew that this is not the first VN that was dubbed, but still it could count as big VN here because the previous dubbed VNs were more or less just small VNs (Sonicomi and Taichou Alice, with the latter was infamous because of the dub).

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, Decay said:

My main concern is actually the translation. I don't think even the best English voice actors will sound right if they're working off the current MangaGamer script. If you want a dub to sound right, the script has to be written in ways VN translations usually aren't, Umineko included.

The japanese dubbed version was not rewritten, tho. 1:1 dub. If it works with japanese, it should work with english, theoretically.

Edited by WinterfuryZX

7 hours ago, WinterfuryZX said:

The japanese dubbed version was not rewritten, tho. 1:1 dub. If it works with japanese, it should work with english, theoretically.

It helped that the game was written originally in japanese, whereas the translation is stiff and unnatural fairly frequently. Honestly, I feel like bad translations are the main reason people dislike dubs. A LOT of anime have shitty subs that have to be retranslated for dubs (and even then are often not done well), and a lot of the garbage NISA dubs people complain about are trying to voice awful translations. Not saying a good TL will automatically make a good dub, but even an okay but sometimes weird TL like Umineko can make for a bad dub, which is why I'm weary.

Edited by Decay

On 11/2/2018 at 12:13 PM, Funyarinpa said:

this is fucking madness

we're talking about a game with a script longer than war & peace

fuck

Yeah, I have to agree. This is some insanely ambitious project. lol A single episode alone (out of the eight) would take a couple days to read through, let alone dub through. And you're adding narrative dub at that? Yeah, good luck. lol

Still, I guess it does give me an excuse to reread the thing. It's not too long ago that I finished reading this though. This probably won't rank too high on my priority list since it would just be a reread.