"It" Director To Direct a Live Action Attack on Titan Movie

mitchhamilton

so, uh, yeah. 

i mean, im not too surprised really. not sure how i feel about this. my first thought isnt "OH MY GOD! HOW COULD THEY DO THIS SA.GJL;DAT;L" but im just shell shocked, i guess. im curious how theyll handle this for sure. i mean, the good thing about aot is like theres only one character whos japanese so no real white casting. BUT what i am worried about is casting other races. other races in the aot universe were mostly wiped out. but they can simple overlook this and not even mention it in the movie and cast erwin or hannes black or something. you know, dont wanna be called racist.

anyways, im getting off track. so, there you go... i mean, i hope they dont fuck it up but i wont be surprised if they do.

Lol, already talking about race, really? I'd be more worried about the formula itself, AoT is extremely over-the-top and unrealistic with its main premise and the way people fight the titans. Such things, while can work in anime or video games, don't translate well into live-action. It'll either deviate a lot from the source material to accomodate for that fact or will turn out to be an obnoxious mess - either way fans will be mad about it. :P

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Lol, already talking about race, really? I'd be more worried about the formula itself, AoT is extremely over-the-top and unrealistic with its main premise and the way people fight the titans. Such things, while can work in anime or video games, don't translate well into live-action. It'll either deviate a lot from the source material to accomodate for that fact or will turn out to be an obnoxious mess - either way fans will be mad about it. :P

Not much different than a spiderman movie, anything will work nowdays in live action, provided the money invested is enough to deliver "cool" over the top fights.

Just now, WinterfuryZX said:

Not much different than a spiderman movie, anything will work nowdays in live action, provided the money invested is enough to deliver "cool" over the top fights.

Spiderman is a superhero, plus most of his enemies were somewhat doable in life action. AoT is about normal people doing stuff Spiderman would have problems pulling off on a regular basis. You can make anything with special effects, not necessarily make it feel right, especially when it harder to create the suspension of disbelief (like, it's easy to sell such stuff in a goofy Marvel movie that doesn't take itself very seriously and is just for fun, less in a super-grim story that aims at a peculiar kind of realism).

Anyways, I'm just bitter cynic that's sick of live action adaptations of all sorts and the shitstorms around them. Don't listen to me. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Sigh, IT director, huh? Not so sure about this either, considering IT was 1) not a very satisfying horror movie for me, in spite of its praises, and 2) as @Plk_Lesiak has put it, the over-the-top nature just doesn't adapt well in live action settings - especially American live action settings. Look at how Airbender turned out? A mundane and boring screw-up. Sure, it's by another director, a much s***tier director, but sigh, guess it's just the cynic in me talking too. I just don't trust American directors in pulling off the over-the-top style of anime. Most anime adaptations just fail in that aspect...

Well, unless it's the Wachowski Brothers, of course. Speed Racer was the bomb! I LOVED IT! But that's another topic...

3 minutes ago, LemiusK said:

The over-the-top nature just doesn't adapt well in live action settings - especially American live action settings

I think the "All You Need Is Kill" adaption, "Edge of Tomorrow" turned out pretty well. We'll just have to wait and see for this one.

5 minutes ago, 1P1A said:

I think the "All You Need Is Kill" adaption, "Edge of Tomorrow" turned out pretty well. We'll just have to wait and see for this one.

That one was okay, but it's definitely a lot more toned down than "Giant humans attacking the city." I mean, look at Godzilla 2014. Even that was toned down. lol It's freaking Godzilla and they still toned it down to "Include more humans!" What a laugh.

Which is surprising, considering it's Americans we're talking about. Aren't you guys supposed to be bombastic and loud? Where's the explosions? Where's the Michael Bay-style special effects? Gone are those days, huh? Now it's all "Subtle and gritty." Yeesh.

Edited by LemiusK

3 hours ago, LemiusK said:

That one was okay, but it's definitely a lot more toned down than "Giant humans attacking the city." I mean, look at Godzilla 2014. Even that was toned down. lol It's freaking Godzilla and they still toned it down to "Include more humans!" What a laugh.

Which is surprising, considering it's Americans we're talking about. Aren't you guys supposed to be bombastic and loud? Where's the explosions? Where's the Michael Bay-style special effects? Gone are those days, huh? Now it's all "Subtle and gritty." Yeesh.

ill take it. godzilla 2014 lead to some great moments because it was toned down which made some of the monster scenes stand out more. godzilla roars in that movie really gave you a sense that it was earned after so much build up. the way he kills the monster in the end also felt earned and satisfying.

also, michael bay, really? even his most critical movie, pain and gain, still feels the same as any other of his films. there is no subtlety to be found in any of the characters and no realism. it just feels like a michael bay film with his same shit writing. ill take subtle and gritty such as no country for old men over anything michael bay.

2 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

ill take it. godzilla 2014 lead to some great moments because it was toned down which made some of the monster scenes stand out more. godzilla roars in that movie really gave you a sense that it was earned after so much build up. the way he kills the monster in the end also felt earned and satisfying.

also, michael bay, really? even his most critical movie, pain and gain, still feels the same as any other of his films. there is no subtlety to be found in any of the characters and no realism. it just feels like a michael bay film with his same shit writing. ill take subtle and gritty such as no country for old men over anything michael bay.

Well, perhaps it's an extreme example to use Michael Bay, but I was trying to make a point.

I felt like being too subtle can have its negative side. I'm all for deep and mellow philosophical musings but, there is a time and place for that sort of thing. If you're being too subtle in an action-oriented story, that can take away from some of the more energetic scenes.

Of course, you don't necessarily have to dumb it down Michael Bay-style (again, I misused an extreme example back there). Subtlety isn't always smart, and ostentatious isn't always dumb either. You need it to be larger than life, having that epic feel, you know? Grab the audience with showy displays, that sort of thing. Hope my point gets through.

Edited by LemiusK