Uncensoring through neural networks

ittaku

Well, I wasn't really sure what subsection to put this in but anyway it's still relevant to visual novel talk. This software uses a neural network to recreate censored images. There have been previous similar posts from early versions of this software but it's now actually quite usable. See my post here on reddit:

https://new.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/9sjlut/deepcreampy_decensoring_hentai_with_deep_neural/

The long and the short of it is that considering it takes about 10 seconds, it can be used as a starting point for graphic editors to then make a more reasonable decensored image, while still preserving the bulk of the original artist's "impression." No it doesn't look great, but in the absence of original work from the companies, it can be used as the basis for another graphic artist to polish up a decensored version for a localised release.

Here's the only sample I've tried it on, NSFW of course:

Here're some that others have uploaded:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, ShinRaikdou said:

No, it can. Sometimes even better. Here thread on

Spoiler

4ch with examples. NSFW of course.

Oh wow, that's super great. You can even do black/white if you convert it to RGB first. The future has come and so have I.

EDIT: @ShinRaikdou, you may wanna put that link into a spoilers just in case. That's how we do NSFW around here.

Edited by TexasDice

12 minutes ago, Emi said:

I haven't tested the tool. but the neural network used have been used before and usually is pretty slow I believe?

Nope. Admittedly my computer is high powered, but a single censored spot on that first example I gave took only 10 seconds. Even on a slow computer it wouldn't take more than a minute. The more censored spots the longer it takes. It took me about a minute personally to "green out" the mosaiced part so that wasn't a lot of work either. You can get these results in less than 5 minutes per CG then once you are familiar with it.

4 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

As an amateur hobby editor, redrawer and shitposter, I feel like even a bad result from the program would be a better starting point for a redraw than the mosaic.

That was entirely my point and why I think this is more than just fanciful wishful thinking and pipe dreams of software giving us dicks and pussies in place of blocks.

I actually have a mechanism I use that decreases the censorship without any redrawing, but it's labour intensive. I should see what happens if I combine the two processes together to see if the results are any better...

EDIT: I tried, and the two techniques fight each other and the outcome is worse. Oh well.

Just for reference, here is my softened mosaic sample.

16 hours ago, ittaku said:

Here's the only sample I've tried it on, NSFW of course:

Reveal hidden contents

Impressive, from a technical standpoint.  Removing non-random and simple random mosaics has been possible for a while, but re-constructing blocked segments is impressive.

Still, my first reaction at looking your samples pics could be summed up as: "Oh my God!  I thought they were human!"

Considering how little effort most artists put into the parts they know are going to be censored, I'm not sure 'decensoring' is an improvement.