Sign in to follow this  
Hetzer123

OELVN (or any non-Japanese) VNs with good gameplay.

I am looking non-Japanese VN that are good at handling gameplay (or those with mini-games) with good story. Any kind of gameplay is fine.

@Plk_Lesiak Is it coincidence that I am more likely to encounter OELVN with gameplay than JVN or not?

Edited by Hetzer123

1 hour ago, Hetzer123 said:

Is it coincidence that I am more likely to encounter OELVN with gameplay than JVN or not?

Nah, I don't think that's true - maybe the JP gameplay VNs get translated less often, but there are tons of them. When it goes to EVNs... Well, Long Live The Queen and Magic Diary: Horse Hall by Hanako have fairly extensive gameplay and both are very competent games.

X-Note has some minigames and is considered very decent, although I didn't play it.

Winter Wolves' RPGs have their sizeable fanbase, but their gameplay is a mixed bag. Planet Stronghold and Loren the Amazon Princess are very clunky, Loren's spin-offs Seasons of the Wolf and Cursed Lands are much better in this regard, but many people liked their stories much less (I actually liked SotW a lot though).

In a similar category, there's Sakura Dungeon with its simplistic dungeon crawler mechanics and the neverending stream of fanservice. It's fun and surprisingly well put together though.

Last, but not least there are the dating sims... And well, I think RE: Alistair and Backstage Pass by Sakevisual are the only ones I can recommend with a clear conscience. You can maybe add A Little Lily Princess by Hanako to this category, but the stat management there is super basic, mostly just a flavour on top of the story content.

EDIT: And maybe also Unhack 2 by InvertMouse should be mentioned - the first Unhack is pretty much a pure puzzle game, but the sequel expanded heavily on the story part.

EDIT 2: Oh, and obviously the Sunrider series, although I recommend sticking to the mainline ones, Sunrider Academy has some really tedious dating sim mechanics, if you're really curious about it you'll be better off just watching a plet's play that cuts off all the gameplay parts and gets right to the story. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

On 10/29/2018 at 3:36 AM, Plk_Lesiak said:

Nah, I don't think that's true - maybe the JP gameplay VNs get translated less often, but there are tons of them.

Thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully they will localize more gameplay JVN.

Edited by Hetzer123