I wrote up a Top 10 Recommended Visual Novels on Steam List for GameFAQs (aimed for a mix of popularity, variety, and ease to get into)

NowItsAngeTime

Very specific recommendation adressing the 1,5 people who care, I unironically recommend the Nekonin Exheart series. These titles are very competent on the technical side, as far as screen effects and fluidity of the motion picture goes. It's a good example of "all the money is on screen". Granted, there is not much else going on. 

@the list: Konosora is unreadable without the restoration patch. Make sure to mention that.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice list of solid titles... except Doki Doki, which really stands out from the list as a "Meme VN/Joke VN". I don't know. The production quality of that VN just isn't comparable to the rest, especially when you put something like Muv-Luv at the end.

Still, it does provide me with a few recommendations I haven't got to yet. I added Root Double and Dies Irae to my wishlist yesterday while searching for thriller VNs like 428 Shibuya Scramble, so I'm definitely looking forward to those. I'm a bit iffy towards My Heart Had Wings since that seems a bit too sappy for me. Still, I might give it a look some time in the future.