VNs with other couples?

Corrupted

Just curious, not really looking for a recommendation, but it didn't feel right to post an outright question like this in the normal VN discussion forum.

Are there any VNs with preestablished couples, or couples that don't involve the MC and form over the course of the game?

All that comes to mind for preestablished couples is Saya No Uta (not really a dating sim though) and for establishing over the course of the game is School Days (this game breaks convention in tons of ways already).

Ace Academy and Crystalline - in AA nearly every heroine gets into a relationship if you don't hook up with her and in Crystalline two characters of the main cast always get together. SoulSet has a slightly similar mechanic as AA, although to a lesser extent and you can even actively bring some characters together. CUPID is all about a tragic relationship that isn't protagonist's. 

In general, I think EVNs are more likely to treat heroines as actual characters and less the protagonist's playthings that will stay forever alone and miserable unless he/she notices them. :P

Hmm I don't know if it counts, but in ef - a fairy tale of the two you actually play from the perspective of different main characters, which in turn means that once a couple is formed, you move onto the tale of another couple, while the first couple still appears on stage and keeps on developing. Furthermore, you actually get to see things from the perspective of a female MC, which let's admit it's quite uncommon in romantic VNs, as they are targeted primarily towards a male demographic. 

Just now, TheCrimsonFucker said:

The only one that comes to mind is Edelweiss from Overdrive. I was surprised when one of the MC's friend got a girlfriend even before the MC

This was my first VN I thought of

While it seems like it'll be a joke couple I actually really like how it happened

I think it's fine if it happens and a good thing as well.. As long as it doesn't involve the main heroines :P What they do after the course of the story is unknown, but them hooking up with your best friend etc during the story makes doing their route somewhat unappealing. Twisted way of thinking i know, but i can't help it. Would be especially bad if it was difficult for the protag to establish a relationship but somehow the friend ignored the troubles and easily got in a relationship with her. Well, i think it's best that the friends find side character girlfriends.

On 10/27/2018 at 9:33 AM, Stormwolf said:

I think it's fine if it happens and a good thing as well.. As long as it doesn't involve the main heroines :P What they do after the course of the story is unknown, but them hooking up with your best friend etc during the story makes doing their route somewhat unappealing. Twisted way of thinking i know, but i can't help it. Would be especially bad if it was difficult for the protag to establish a relationship but somehow the friend ignored the troubles and easily got in a relationship with her. Well, i think it's best that the friends find side character girlfriends.

We've got plenty of games where MC is a romance singularity. I'd love for more realistic scenarios like that you mentioned above to exist. Fail to date someone due to reasons,  then watch them hook up seemingly without complication with a friend? That's real life for you. Obviously it wouldn't be for everyone, but variety would be nice. So far the most weirdly realistic VN for me relationship-wise was School Days (even if obviously there's still plenty of unrealistic parts).

7 hours ago, Corrupted said:

We've got plenty of games where MC is a romance singularity. I'd love for more realistic scenarios like that you mentioned above to exist. Fail to date someone due to reasons,  then watch them hook up seemingly without complication with a friend? That's real life for you. Obviously it wouldn't be for everyone, but variety would be nice. So far the most weirdly realistic VN for me relationship-wise was School Days (even if obviously there's still plenty of unrealistic parts).

Dont think many who reads vns read them for being overly realistic.

2 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Dont think many who reads vns read them for being overly realistic.

It's probably not very common as you say, but I definitely enjoy when I can tie in something from a VN to a real life experience. I feel like it helps me enjoy both the VN and the real life memories more when I can tie them together like that.