Kara no Shoujo is now available on Steam!

Dreamysyu

7 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

alright, for all the shit steam gets, good on them for allowing vns to be fully uncensored now. :yumiko: 

I agree, but I still wish more VNs would hit GOG. It probably seems silly, but I'd be more likely to buy things knowing they'll allow me to burn or back up a copy and have laying around "just in case", rather than forever depending on Steam and my crummy internet service provider.

AFAIK some VNs on the Steam are also in fact DRM-free - that means, if you copy it somewhere else from the Steam folder, it will run standalone. In that case Steam serves just as a fancy launcher.

I'll try to check it with my Steam VNs, and report back.

Edited by adamstan

As promised, I checked all my Steam VNs. Here's the list of the ones that worked without Steam client:

Chrono Clock
Dal Segno
Enigma
Fureraba
Himawari
IMHHW/Konosora (with Retranslation patch)
Koi ni kanmi wo Soete (Love sweet garnish)
Princess Evangile W Happiness (base Princess Evangile didn't work)
SakuSaku
Grisaia Trilogy (Kajitsu, Meikyuu, Rakuen)

I suppose that Retranslation patch for Konosora replaces game's executable file, as other Pulltop titles refused to run steamless.

Edited by adamstan

18 hours ago, Hetzer123 said:

Here is the explanation about drm-free games on steam.

https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

That seems weird that they wouldn't just label the drm-free ones drm-free. It's all news to me though so thanks.

20 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

doesnt steam let you play games offline? like itll still try to connect to steam but if you dont have internet itll give you the option to just play offline. ive done it before.

As far as I know it needs to check a minimum of like once a week or something. Maybe someone else knows the specifics.

30 minutes ago, ciel_yuri said:

That seems weird that they wouldn't just label the drm-free ones drm-free. It's all news to me though so thanks.

It's not like these companies need to do something specific to make their games DRM-free. It's actually the opposite, it means that they just don't care about DRM in this particular game, so they don't add it. Even if you add Steam standard DRM, it will still require additional work, like testing, and it means additional expenses, and not every developer is ready to do that, especially if the game is old and everybody who wanted to pirate it already did it, or if the developer itself is very small. They don't advertise it, because Steam by default just isn't the correct platform to publish games this way. If you care about the lack of DRM, you go to GOG, not to Steam.