Umineko

Stormwolf

I'm currently reading it and of course it's perfectly enjoyable. Damn, we should be grateful we even have the new sprites; and even then! there's people who actually claim the original, even though way shabbier, were more expressive. I don't know, I for one will stick to the new art :leecher:

From what I know, there are 4 versions currently available in English:

1. The original fan-translated version. It has garbage sprites, no voices and Cg and crappy translation. No reason to read this one. On the other hand, I read this version, and it still became my favorite VN.

2. The UmiTweak version. It added PS3 graphics and voices to the original version. Overall it's a pretty unpolished version, it has some annoying bugs, and the translation is still the same as in the first version, but it's perfectly readable overall.

3. The Umineko project version. It's a direct port of the PS3 game with the improved translation. According to the trailers, it looks absolutely stunning visually, but the downfall, as you know, is that only a half of the game is currently released, and the second half is going to take a while, probably 2 or 3 years.

4. The official Mangagamer version. Again, no voices or CGs, the updated sprites that look better than in the original, but still look like shit, imo. On the other hand, the translation for this version is supposed to be the best.

5. I recall, there also was some movement to add voices and updated graphics to the Steam version. I don't know if it's finished, but if it is, then there really aren't any reasons to wait for UP, because all the additional visual effects don't really add that much at all, and it's still an amazing game even without them. If it isn't, just do what you want.

You need to buy Umineko anyway, so I would suggest trying the first chapter the first episode the way Mangagamer released it. The real mysteries and character development don't start until later so you still can pick the patch when it's completed. I would argue that in Umineko the soundtrack is so present that you don't really need voice acting. It's similar to The House in Fata Morgana in that regard (although most tracks are instrumentals).

19 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Voices is important to me as it adds to the immersion. Seems like ill have to wait for a while. I bet it'll be worth it in the end!

If you need voices, you can also read UmiTweak version.

21 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

But over half is reøeased is it not? 8 episodes and the site says that 7 is around the corner

From what I know, only the first 4 chapters are available. The other chapters will be released only after they finish porting all of them (and they were still at chapter 6 the last time I checked).

> Buy MG's version

> Download the installer in https://github.com/07th-mod

> Enjoy ps3 graphics and voices

you're welcome

Just to clarify, this is a 100% patch, in fullHD, that adds everything available from the PS3 version to Mangagamer's new translation. This is the most complete and recent patch, and it is not UmiTweak nor Umineko Project. The installer is the same for Higurashi, but if you want to see how it works, just click in the Umineko-question and umineko-answer sections.

Edited by Silvz

Thanks. But i must say im confused about what the umineko project brings to the table then

19 minutes ago, Silvz said:

> Buy MG's version

> Download the installer in https://github.com/07th-mod

> Enjoy ps3 graphics and voices

you're welcome

Just to clarify, this is a 100% patch, in fullHD, that adds everything available from the PS3 version to Mangagamer's new translation. This is the most complete and recent patch, and it is not UmiTweak nor Umineko Project. The installer is the same for Higurashi, but if you want to see how it works, just click in the Umineko-question and umineko-answer sections.

Thanks! But i must say im confused about what the umineko project brings to the table then?

The patch does not add everything from the PS3 version to the PC version like Silvz claims. The patch lacks a lot of the animations the PS3 version added, like lip-syncing, animated text in certain spots, screen shaking, rain, etc. There is a lot of rain in the game (a Lot) and the animated rain does add to the mood imo, but it's fairly inessential. There are other PS3 features as well, but they're all minor enough that I've forgotten them.

You can pretty safely play on the MG version with the patch and get like 98% of the experience. Umineko Project will take a while to fully release because they're porting the game from scratch. 

You can play this version https://umineko-project.org/en/ which doesn't require anything to play it, you should theoretically buy or own the ps3 and pc version to play it... but again you don't need them. Basically it was an excuse to release something illegally and make it legal (it's not:ph34r:).

The original art of umineko is charming in its own way and I would gladly play it if there was a way to add the voice acting of the ps3 release.... since I'm a sucker of voice acting I would recommend reading the ps3 port version (either using the MG and the add-ons from the ps3 or just the stand alone version from umineko project)

Lyp-sync is not really a must (i actually don't like it), neither are the effects of rain or the battles, etc. Everything adds to the immersion for sure but IMO voices are a must for this game anything else is not. 

Edited by Deep Blue

2 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

I did add the patch mentioned rarlier, but i think ill use umineko project for the question arc. Reason being that i just dont like the whole screen being covered with text. The other patch does have the advanced text for answers arc though so thats the best way now i think.

the one I linked uses textboxes

4 hours ago, Decay said:

The patch does not add everything from the PS3 version to the PC version like Silvz claims. The patch lacks a lot of the animations the PS3 version added, like lip-syncing, animated text in certain spots, screen shaking, rain, etc. There is a lot of rain in the game (a Lot) and the animated rain does add to the mood imo, but it's fairly inessential. There are other PS3 features as well, but they're all minor enough that I've forgotten them.

You can pretty safely play on the MG version with the patch and get like 98% of the experience. Umineko Project will take a while to fully release because they're porting the game from scratch. 

Yeah, my bad, though most of the features it lacks are just cosmetic and the patch as a whole allows a complete experience as it has voices, sprites, backgrounds, etc from the PS3 version.

12 hours ago, Decay said:

Screen did shake with this patch though. It shook when they tickled george on the bed

As for what Umineko version that you should chose, I think you should chose UmtTweak version seeing that the change in Umineko project was mostly cosmetic/gimmicky, and besides if you understand old translation of Umineko then there's shouldn't be any reason to not pick UmiTweak version. Speaking about the translation, I remember Mangagamer did work together with Witch Hunt to retranslate Umineko so more or less you could treat the old translation as the crude version of Mangagamer translation if you have any problem with the old translation. I also understand that you already decided to go with Umineko project, but if you want to have whole Umineko voiced with improved graphic then UmiTweak version should be the best choice. Have fun with Umineko there.