Good Romance VNs?

Wobin

1 hour ago, Stormwolf said:

Be aware though that people are angered by the protagonist being worthless. Even developers apologized for going too far.

Most of the protagonists has that personality. Why i dunno, by now i cant say anything because im actually reading it. Also u can try with Sharin.

Edited by YomiPlays

1 minute ago, YomiPlays said:

Most of the protagonists has that personality. Why i dunno, by now i cant say anything because im actually reading it. Also u can try with Sharin.

He takes it to a whole new level.

So, yeah don't read Hatsukoi. Or maybe only read a little of it.

Honestly most vns have some romance to them

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate is good.  To Heart 2 is good. Pretty much most of Keys vn works are real good.

Here are some of the ones I've played so far.....

Clannad . If you want something with immense emotional feels. Prepare to shed many manly (yet bittersweet) tears. Some of it's themes about friendship and family are quite profound. It's a rather long read though...

ef - a fairy tale of the two . Comes in two parts and has multiple protags. Various types of relationship drama (and emotional feels).

Fureraba . Maybe not the best in plot, but it's overloaded with comedy and light heartedness. Quite a lot of sex scenes too (if you get the uncensor patch).

Grisaia no Kajitsu . This is the VN that seriously got me hooked on the VN genre. It's writing is fantastic, it's music is great. It somehow manages to be both the funniest VN I've ever read ....... and also one of the darkest (it WAS the darkest I read, until I read Muv-Luv Alternative). Very recommended.

Kono Oozora (If my heart had wings) . Pretty light hearted, with some adventure.

Symphonic Rain . Probably the most unique VN I've read. Has a more melancholic setting, some deep characters, and even some interesting plot twists.

Wagamama High Spec . Like Fureraba, this is very light hearted. Also has the most sex scenes I've seen in a VN.

2 hours ago, Ranzo said:

He takes it to a whole new level.

So, yeah don't read Hatsukoi. Or maybe only read a little of it.

Honestly most vns have some romance to them

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate is good.  To Heart 2 is good. Pretty much most of Keys vn works are real good.

Does the append fix anything? Hear they released a new route for the one that seemingly angers most.

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

To Heart 2 A classic reference charage that defined the modern genre, with 11 heroines and 9 routes.

And (if my memory is correct) with very nice animated opening, rarely found even in newer titles.

Also +1 on KoiChoco and KonoSora. Clannad, while not being strictly romance VN, has many romance elements, and is simply very good VN.

As for Hatsukoi - yeah, protag's behaviour in Ruuna's and especially Yukino's route was really frustrating at times, but I still enjoyed that VN (rated it 8). That frustration was part of the story for me - as the MC was frustrated too. And while from reader's position it's easy to shout at him "You idiot! You should..." - I know that when faced with similar situation IRL I wouldn't do any better. If everybody always acted reasonably, life would be much easier, but we all know that this isn't the case.

BTW - if one strongly dislikes "hopeless" protagonists, then some routes of ToHeart2 may be annoying for them too.

Edited by adamstan

4 hours ago, adamstan said:

I haven't read the last (Yukino's) append yet (only Maya and Kyou), but they're essentially the fancy name for fandisc and are "afterstories" consisting mostly of h-scenes.

Spoiler

Didnt maya end with parting? I usually research a bit when i see a vn getting lots of hate. If so then i guess the afterstory fixes it, but i thought maya was alternate scenario to fix what people were pissed about.

11 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:
  Hide contents

Didnt maya end with parting? I usually research a bit when i see a vn getting lots of hate. If so then i guess the afterstory fixes it, but i thought maya was alternate scenario to fix what people were pissed about.

Spoiler

I had some trouble putting Maya's afterstory on the timeline - it might be kind of alternative scenario. Or not? There might have been some timeskip, so it occurs when she's back? My memories are a little blurry. I have Yukino's afterstory to read, so while I'm at this, I might revisit Maya's to check.

5 hours ago, adamstan said:
  Hide contents

I had some trouble putting Maya's afterstory on the timeline - it might be kind of alternative scenario. Or not? There might have been some timeskip, so it occurs when she's back? My memories are a little blurry. I have Yukino's afterstory to read, so while I'm at this, I might revisit Maya's to check.

This is the info i got about the append routes from vndb forum:

Spoiler

Maya's append is an alternative scenario made to appease the people that hated her route's ending (understandable).

Kyou's append is an extra story set during the summer of the original game.

Yukino's append is an after story.

Kyou's description aligns with my memories. Maybe they're right about Maya's too. I'm curious about the Yukino's afterstory then, as - even though her route has its share of problems - I really liked her as a heroine.

Kyou's and Maya's appends were nice, but I was slightly overwhelmed with the amount of h-scenes.

Edited by adamstan

Yuuma did definitely have some issue, but from what I knew it's only in both of Runa's and Yukino's route in which coincidentally both of theme were childhood friends character. Otherwise, I think he did fine in the rest of other three routes, although since Runa was the longest route (The line count for Runa's route was covering 21% of overall HatsuKoi line count if you curious) it mean that HatsuKoi was already infamous because of that so much that the developer need to formally apologized. Of course like all of the failure story tone work's decided to improve their own writing, and the result was Hoshiori in which the translation for that was currently ongoing. As for Yuma's sins in HatsuKoi, from what I remember he'd grown too spoiled in Yukino's route causing Yukino to break up with him temporarily, and in Runa's route he didn't realize that Runa was already falling for him and decided to goes out with Yukino.

Back to the topic. Other than HatsuKoi, I think for other recommendation here I could recommend Hoshiori although since that the translation project was still unfinished obviously it's still not in English, although if you satisfied with one route only then you can wait until Marika's patch released later (Should be at November beginning if all goes well). In case you want to wait for Hoshiori full patch (Understandable), then I could recommend you some other VNs like YoakeNoble Works, Princess Evangile, Dracu Riot, and Tsujidou. Oh, and you also could try Sanoba in which it'll be released two days later. I hope that my recommendations here would be helpful to you.

On 23/10/2018 at 5:47 AM, ciel_yuri said:

Am I alone in not really liking Grisaia no Kajitsu's protagonist? He's okay, but too many times I feel like he's being a pompous ass.

The thing with Yuuji is that he kinda oscillates between being a very competent, pragmatic and insightful protagonist in some routes and a complete asshole in others. The line is actually thinner than you might expect at first. 

Overall I'd say that I generally don't dislike Yuuji (though I don't think he's necessariliy the great MC that some people make him out to be), but yes, sometimes he's undoubtedly a pompous ass. I still have PTSD flashbacks from Michiru's route, for example.

As for OP's question... I second ef -a fairy tale of the two-. It's my favorite romance VN to this day, so I have to give it the love I think it deserves. Other than that, I also second Grisaia no Kajitsu and I'll add Sharin no Kuni, which is very similar. Then for a less plot oriented stuff, I'll say Chrono Clock, a fun little moege.

Edited by Thyndd

3 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

The thing with Yuuji is that he kinda oscillates between being a very competent, pragmatic and insightful protagonist in some routes and a complete asshole in others. The line is actually thinner than you might expect at first. 

Overall I'd say that I generally don't dislike Yuuji (though I don't think he's necessariliy the great MC that some people make him out to be), but yes, sometimes he's undoubtedly a pompous ass. I still have PTSD flashbacks from Michiru's route, for example.

Michiru's route was the only one I've finished so far, so I'm sure I'll get to know him better. It seems like certain characters he's a lot worse to. I really don't like the way he treats Amane. Hopefully in her route that changes.

14 minutes ago, ciel_yuri said:

Michiru's route was the only one I've finished so far, so I'm sure I'll get to know him better. It seems like certain characters he's a lot worse to. I really don't like the way he treats Amane. Hopefully in her route that changes.

Yorokobe, Shounen, you've already seen the worst Yuuji. In Makina's route and especially Yumiko's he's a gentleman, in Sachi he goes back to being kind of a jerk but much more acceptable than in Michiru's, and in Amane it doesn't really matter. 

16 hours ago, Thyndd said:

Yorokobe, Shounen, you've already seen the worst Yuuji. In Makina's route and especially Yumiko's he's a gentleman, in Sachi he goes back to being kind of a jerk but much more acceptable than in Michiru's, and in Amane it doesn't really matter. 

That's a relief at least. I like that he's confident and competent and everything, but I'd like him more if he was just always more of a gentleman. Those protagonists seem kind of rare to me so far, so it would be a nice change of pace.