Is it worth waiting for Rewrite+ or should I just read the original?

snowbell55

Is it worth waiting for Rewrite+ or should I just read the original?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should I buy Rewrite or wait for Rewrite+ to be released?

• Buy it now
    • Wait for the Rewrite+ release
    • I don't really care about the other options - I'm just here because I love lasagna

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this. I'm really torn on whether or not I should buy and read Rewrite now, or wait for the upcoming official release. I'm going to be reading it at some point anyways (it's one of my most anticipated titles) but I can't decide exactly when. 

The thing is, I read Little Busters English Edition and LOVED it - it's my second favorite VN and (effectively) my first time going through a Key VN so it's become very special to me. I enjoyed it not just because of the characters, but because the VN ran really well and had all sorts of options making it a pleasure to read. That seems to have been done by Visual Arts themselves, and not SP, so I'm not sure if a lot of the engine, UI etc improvements will come into the SP release (I can only compare with Clannad which wasn't as good in that regard). 

I've found a physical copy of Rewrite though, and I do want to collect physicals where I can so that'd be really nice to have. It'd also mean I can read it earlier, which would be an obvious benefit. 

If I wait, I could presumably get extra content like the fandisc and who knows what else (IMO the EX routes for Little Busters were some of the best). It'd also be on Steam (I assume) which would be more convenient than physical. Plus I do have a bunch of other VNs I want to read (and reread) so I could read those in the meantime. The big con here is I don't know how long it'll take to release. 

Any idea which would be the better option? Thanks for any votes and/or responses :D.

Edited by snowbell55

I'm waiting for the official one. My backlog is long enough ;)

Maybe my impressions are wrong, but I'm wary of Ixrec's translations, cause, from what I gathered, he seems to, ekhm, rewrite a lot.

1 hour ago, snowbell55 said:

That seems to have been done by Visual Arts themselves, and not SP, so I'm not sure if a lot of the engine, UI etc improvements will come into the SP release (I can only compare with Clannad which wasn't as good in that regard).

OTOH - Clannad was better translation-wise.

Edited by adamstan

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

I'm wary of Ixrec's translations, cause, from what I gathered, he seems to, ekhm, rewrite a lot.

It's one of the better Ixrec's translations though. I read it way before I started to care about translation quality at all, so it doesn't say much, but I honestly don't remember having any problems with with it. I definitely do have problems with some of his other translations, like the first Muv Luv and Cross Channel.

I still expect Conjueror to do a better job on it, obviously.

2 hours ago, snowbell55 said:

I'm really torn on whether or not I should buy and read Rewrite now, or wait for the upcoming official release.

Overall, I recommend waiting, but you'll probably have to wait for quite some time. According to the last update, Rewrite+ is still being translated, so it might take a while before it's released.

My suggestion here is just to read it as it is now, because Sekai was the one who got Rewrite+ license and seeing them we wouldn't know when they'll release it, especially in admist ton of OELVNs and not to mention several big title license under them (It's at 35% retranslated as of now in regard of Rewrite+ by the way). Also from what I heard, apparently the improvement was not as massive as Little Busters. Speaking about Little Busters, yeah the engine improvement was done by Visual Arts themselves so we can expect that Sekai would probably let the interface for Rewrite as it is.

As for the translation, since you want to buy I would suggest you to check the LP video at the beginning of the common route, then make your own conclusion whether the translation is good enough or not and make your decision from there. Of course, if you still decided to buy it later, then feel free to do so.

tldr - I'm more leaning toward just to just buy it now, but I'll leave the decision to you.

Edited by littleshogun

12 hours ago, adamstan said:

I'm waiting for the official one. My backlog is long enough ;)

Maybe my impressions are wrong, but I'm wary of Ixrec's translations, cause, from what I gathered, he seems to, ekhm, rewrite a lot.

OTOH - Clannad was better translation-wise.

XD. And LOL at the Rewrite comment :P. 

Hmm. And that's the other thing - I still need to read Clannad... 

10 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

It's one of the better Ixrec's translations though. I read it way before I started to care about translation quality at all, so it doesn't say much, but I honestly don't remember having any problems with with it. I definitely do have problems with some of his other translations, like the first Muv Luv and Cross Channel.

I still expect Conjueror to do a better job on it, obviously.

Overall, I recommend waiting, but you'll probably have to wait for quite some time. According to the last update, Rewrite+ is still being translated, so it might take a while before it's released.

Sounds like it's readable then? 

And tbh that's the big concern. Like, I was honestly disappointed to find out that it's only at 35% done after all this time. I am admittedly being impatient (and greedy) here (especially considering there are multiple other VNs to read in the meantime) but I don't want to just keep putting it off and not being able to read it. I think I'd feel more comfortable it was released - that way I would then be able to purchase it in my own time, and read it in my own time, but if it's still being translated I worry that maybe something might happen and the release date never gets announced or keeps getting pushed back and back and back. 

3 hours ago, littleshogun said:

My suggestion here is just to read it as it is now, because Sekai was the one who got Rewrite+ license and seeing them we wouldn't know when they'll release it, especially in admist ton of OELVNs and not to mention several big title license under them (It's at 35% retranslated as of now in regard of Rewrite+ by the way). Also from what I heard, apparently the improvement was not as massive as Little Busters. Spealing about Little Busters, yeah the engine umprovement was done by Visual Arts themselves so we can expect that Sekai would probably let the interface for Rewrite as it is.

As for the translation, since you want to buy I would suggest you to check the LP video at the beginning of the common route, then make your own conclusion whether the translation is good enough or not and make your decision from there. Of course, if you still decided to buy it later, then feel free to do so.

tldr - I'm more leaning toward just to just buy it now, but I'll leave the decision to you.

Yeah exactly... I'm not exactly expecting it since it's not the same group, but it'd be really nice if they could bring those engine improvements in too. They were really well done in Little Busters IMO and really did increase my enjoyment of the VN.

Hmm thanks. That's actually a really good idea...

Thanks all for the comments :D. They're all really helpful and appreciated :D. 

For what it's worth, I read through both Amaterasu Translations's ENG version of the original version, and the CN one for both the original and Rewrite.

The 1st point of difference of Rewrite+ should be the biggest reason why anyone should wait for it instead of reading the original. Tbh though, Rewrite+ (CN) feels the same to me in this regard (could be the translation's fault but I hardly doubt it).

So personally, I don't think you should purposely wait for Rewrite+ :) 

Edited by phantomJS

8 hours ago, phantomJS said:

The 1st point of difference of Rewrite+ should be the biggest reason why anyone should wait for it instead of reading the original.

Actually, from what I've seen, the changes in Rewrite+ are minimal. They added a few extra scenes to the true route, added a new CG at the very end, and added some really unnecessary changes to some existing CGs. The biggest difference though is that the new version will include the fandisc as its part, and it wasn't available in English before, so it's still worth picking up even if you read the Amaterasu version.

13 hours ago, snowbell55 said:

Sounds like it's readable then? 

It was for me. I'm not sure about other people, but I don't remember seeing a lot of critique about it, so it looks like most people who read it are okay with it.

Well, a few months ago, before the figure of 35% was revealed, I'd definitely strongly recommend you to wait, but now it looks like it's still going to be a while before it's finished. Plus it will also need editing and all that stuff. So, do as you want, really.

Edited by Dreamysyu

Any version you choose, be prepared to expend some months. I played it whole in two different, consecutive years because Lucia's route barely killed my interest in the game. I still don't rate it highly, and find that, like most of recent Key works (anime and VN), it has almost as many good things as bad things. Harmonia is an exception, because it's a simpler and cleaner story.

You can definitely enjoy Rewrite, but you probably won't rate it a masterpiece. There are some facepalm moments too -like that "famous" Kotori quote, what the hell were they thinking?

16 minutes ago, Okarin said:

Any version you choose, be prepared to expend some months. I played it whole in two different, consecutive years because Lucia's route barely killed my interest in the game. I still don't rate it highly, and find that, like most of recent Key works (anime and VN), it has almost as many good things as bad things. Harmonia is an exception, because it's a simpler and cleaner story.

You can definitely enjoy Rewrite, but you probably won't rate it a masterpiece. There are some facepalm moments too -like that "famous" Kotori quote, what the hell were they thinking?

It's subjective though. I personally rated Rewrite higher than most earlier Key works for various reasons. And, according to vndb, it looks like most people rate it quite highly.

Well, it's Key making non-Key for people who don't like Key works.

Like Pillars of Sawyer Eternity and Baldur's Gate.

Not a lot of surprise here.

PS: In VNDB lots of people rate games like they're the best ever, even if they're crap or horribly generic.

Edited by Okarin

5 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Actually, from what I've seen, the changes in Rewrite+ are minimal. They added a few extra scenes to the true route, added a new CG at the very end, and added some really unnecessary changes to some existing CGs. The biggest difference though is that the new version will include the fandisc as its part, and it wasn't available in English before, so it's till worth picking up even if you read the Amaterasu version.

It was for me. I'm not sure about other people, but I don't remember seeing a lot of critique about it, so it looks like most people who read it are okay with it.

Well, a few months ago, before the figure of 35% was revealed, I'd definitely strongly recommend you to wait, but now it looks like it's still going to be a while before it's finished. Plus it will also need editing and all that stuff. So, do as you want, really.

Wouldn't mind a cg with the good ending that the anime had. Better than the utsuge like ending the original had.