Interest-wise, what part of the VN community would you say you're the most part of?

NowItsAngeTime

Now of course it's possible to be part of multiple but I think in the end we have all of our favorites.

Feel free to choose any I didn't point out but this is my idea of the various subtypes of the VN community can be divided into:
  • People who mostly read VNs that have any type of story. No Charages, moeges.
  • Conversely, the people who basically mostly stick to charages or even moeges (or just for the waifus)
  • The people who only read in Japanese no matter what
  • People who mostly stick to a very specific genre of series like Mystery ones, or Otome/BL
  • People who mostly read VNs for the H scenes
  • People who mostly stick to Original English Visual Novels/EVNs
  • People who mostly create Visual Novels

For example, while I do try to read a variety of VNs, these days I mostly stick to charage/moege, and of course the H stuff...

I usually read mostly charages(don't read moeges).

In fact, since I learned to read JP, I've clearly only played charages and the only story based VN's I played are english and mostly in my english only days. Also since learning JP, It feels really out of place playing english VN's since you can easily notice the difference between the translated text and the spoken dialogue. Sure, the connotation can be the same but it still feels... off.

So yeah in short I'm mostly part of the JP-only and charage community

9 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

The only thing this segregation does is for people to pick one of those and trash all the others and whoever likes them.

Gets ready to toss Maggie into the trash compactor

What? What are you looking at me like that for?

I'm in the vn camp that likes good stories or semblances of stories filled with interesting characters and a protag that doesn't make me want to slit other peoples wrists.

I can fit in most of these, but not really fit in them either. Like, I can read almost any kind of story, but I also like to read character focused titles. I read in Japanese sometimes, but not all the time. Sometimes I can feel like reading more of a specific genre, sometimes not. I also don't mind reading some OELVNs, depends on my interest. I don't create Visual Novels, but I do write novels.

Well, reading for the h-scenes would be the only exception in this list.

1 hour ago, Ranzo said:

Gets ready to toss Maggie into the trash compactor

What? What are you looking at me like that for?

Hidoi desu yoooooooooo

Anyway, I noticed I only snarked and didn't even answer the thread question :leecher:  But I can read really anything that have a good MC, interesting ideas, and it's not too violent/extreme/philosophical if I'm in the right mood for it, be it plotge, charage or nukige.

Edited by MaggieROBOT

Going off of the categories given here, I'd be mostly a person who "mostly sticks to charages or even moeges (or just the waifus)". It's not a strict definition as I do really like the more story-focused (ie option one) VNs quite a lot, and VNs of that type make up my top two (of three) VNs, but on the whole I tend to read VNs of option two more often. 

> People who mostly read VNs that have any type of story. No Charages, moeges.   

> The people who only read in Japanese no matter what   

People who mostly stick to a very specific genre of series like Mystery ones   

If only there were enough of my niche genres to keep me occupied.

People who mostly create Visual Novels

Only in my head, and everyone loves them!

I'm closest to second option - I read mostly charage/moege, but not restricting myself to them (I really liked YU-NO). H-scenes are optional for me - sometimes I really like them (PrincessEvangile, Koiiro, Konosora), sometimes I slightly prefer all-ages version (Miagete) , and sometimes they are crime against humanity (I'm looking at you, Kanon! :reeee:, fortunately there was all-ages option in fanTL patch :P).

I tend to avoid "disturbing" or very "dark" titles, like the ones focused on rape, gore etc. Also, while nakige is fine (and actually my highest-rated VNs are nakiges), I'd rather avoid utsuge (meaning only sad endings).

As for Japanese - I hope that one day I'll be able to read, as there are some VNs I'd like to experience, which probably won't get translated.

Edited by adamstan

9 hours ago, NowItsAngeTime said:
  • People who mostly read VNs that have any type of story. No Charages, moeges.
  • Conversely, the people who basically mostly stick to charages or even moeges (or just for the waifus)
  • People who mostly stick to a very specific genre of series like Mystery ones, or Otome/BL

Some linear combination of these. Pure moeges are often boring unless the characters are the greatest thing ever, so I'd at least ask for some plot in most cases to keep things interesting. In terms of priorities, I do think that characters > story, since great characters can make up for a luckluster story, but no matter how good your story is, if the characters are shit it's gonna be nigh impossible to get invested, but of course if possible I like to have the best of both.

Also while I do tend to gravitate towards certain genre, or subgenre rather (namely a very specific kind of romantic drama), there's no way I can afford to be picky considering the short list of translated VNs that fit into this category of mine. I'll read whatever lies on my hands that manages to catch my attention, and there's been quite a lot of variety genre-wise. What I'm starting to realize as of late is that I don't usually enjoy action. What I'd imagine that for most people should be a thrilling action scene that gets their adrenaline pumping, for me it's more often than not just a boring part that I need to get through in order to get to the good stuff: character interactions, emotional moments, plot reveals...

I'm very character driven, not waifu necessarily but characters in general. No matter how good anything else may or may not be if the characters blow (in my opinion, anyway) I don't care that much. Is that a category? And I don't thing unoriginal characters and stuff are bad, as long as they aren't completely one dimensional or make no sense in the logic of the world they're in I'm okay. And I guess cuter characters make me less critical of them, but my patience in that regard has limits.

Small exception is stuff with gameplay, I will play those as long as the characters are serviceable (ie don't annoy the crap out of me).

I read for story and characters. As for genres - can't say i'm too picky, but... Never tried otome games and honestly don't want to. Other than that - have no specific "love/hate" genres. At least, can't say right now that i have. As for what should i read next - sometimes it just depends on mood, sometimes you want something energetic, fun and entertaining, sometimes would appreciate more thrill, suspense etc. But there are cases that main factor is character - that was the case for me in choosing Tsujidou (Maki) and Coμ - Kuroi Ryuu to Yasashii Oukoku (Kagome).