Halloween VN poll

BunnyAdvocate

VLLp9Rb.png

With Halloween fast approaching, we thought it'd be fun to create a list of VNs that fit the season on the Fuwanovel VN rec site. We're creating a list of suggestions and we'd be interested in any ideas anyone has, but we're also interested in the communities' collective opinion and put up a VN poll asking which VNs you think are the spookiest~

The poll is going to be up until the end of the week, with the results posted this Friday evening.

Edited by BunnyAdvocate

3 minutes ago, Happiness+ said:

I don’t know, but I still think DDLC is the scariest VN I’ve read.

Add that to the list lolz🙃

We considered adding DDLC, but we figured that at this point everyone and their mother has heard about DDLC so there wouldn't be much point listing it on a recommendation site.

9 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

While I'm far from the bravest person irl, I rarely find VNs I read really scary. Notable exceptions are Higurashi (that fingernail pulling scene... ugh) and Saya no Uta.

I also recommend adding SubaHibi to the list. It definitely has some horror, especially in the early chapters.

Yeah Saya no Uta is deeply unsettling with how it makes horrendous acts seem so rational in their own way. SubaHibi seems a good suggestion, I'll make sure it's on our list~

These are the free VNs in the poll. Most of them don't have too many votes right now, so if you've got some time to kill, feel free to pick one or two of them and check them out! More votes are always appreciated :)

Halloween Otome: itch.io
Lake of Voices: itch.io, Steam
Lynne: itch.io, Steam
Phenomeno: game, English patch
Soundless -A Modern Salem in Remote Area-: itch.io
Us Lovely Corpses: itch.io

55 minutes ago, BunnyAdvocate said:

This VN? While the bunny outfit does mean it warrants an automatic 10/10 from me, I wasn't sure if it was a scary/halloween themed story? It looks more a winter theme.

It's horror because he considers it a horrible VN. Or is it someone else in these forums that hates Snow? I forgot.

Also, should i recommend The Letter? It's more along the lines of current crappy american horror, but i guess it would be fine for Halloween.

Edited by onorub

Crimson Gray is a pretty creepy vn that could go on that list. Enigma could also be on this list since many of the endings are just real dark man.

Honestly, none of the vns that I played on this list have actually scared me. I have felt very tense while playing them though, especially some parts of Kara No Shoujo.

21 minutes ago, YomiPlays said:

What about this VN. It also has a animation.

I did not read it completely, but does it have that 'creepy' theme?

Spoiler image : Here.

I considered adding Cartagra, but as we already had Kara no Shoujo, I thought that might be enough as it's all the same series. I'll look into it for the longer list on Friday though.

I suppose, because they are from the same company. What about Killer Queen -maybe this nots exactly creepy one-  (VNDB) or Sayonara o Oshiete (VNDB) (I love the Opening remix).

I do not know about more visual horror novels.  Srry.

Edited by YomiPlays

3 hours ago, YomiPlays said:

I suppose, because they are from the same company. What about Killer Queen -maybe this nots exactly creepy one-  (VNDB) or Sayonara o Oshiete (VNDB) (I love the Opening remix).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure yet how much of an untranslated section we'll have, but I'll keep Sayonara o Oshiete in mind if we do. Killer Queen was a pretty fun Battle Royale, I just wish the improved remake Secret Game got a translation.

3 hours ago, YomiPlays said:

The only truly horrifying thing about Killer Queen is that it had a death game setup and decided to still dedicate half of its story to the protagonist having sex with a 10 year old

10 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

The only truly horrifying thing about Killer Queen is that it had a death game setup and decided to still dedicate half of its story to the protagonist having sex with a 10 year old

Yeah I found KQ quite disappointing. After spending the intro explaining all these elaborate rules and complex individual objective system, it just basically throws it all away. It could have been really good. I've heard the remake Secret Game is much better in that regard, but I've not read it. 

1 minute ago, Benji Price said:

How about Root Double ?? I think it fits the halloween requirement.

Ah thanks, I'll add it to the list of contenders.

There's Sakura Halloween if you feel like to add some joke VN out there. For more serious VN, maybe you can chose to add Tsukihime along with Chaos Child. Oh, and Bishoujo Mangekuou as well seeing that we'll gonna have a lot of sex scenes with the vampire, so I thought it might be fitting for the Halloween. Hope it'll help you there.

PS - I knew that Chaos Child here is the same series as Chaos Head, but still those two VNs were quite different and from what I see Child here is the improvement of Head. But in case you still didn't want to add that, then I'll change my recommendations to Dies Irae.

xIUJpoQ.png

The results of our Halloween poll are up! The top 10 voted spooky VNs are up here along with our VN recommendations that range from the comedic to the existential-angst inducing~

Thank you to everyone who took part in the poll, and thank you for all your suggestions! We didn't manage to squeeze in all of them, but we tried to include at least one suggestion from everyone who recommended some.

2 hours ago, BunnyAdvocate said:

xIUJpoQ.png

The results of our Halloween poll are up! The top 10 voted spooky VNs are up here along with our VN recommendations that range from the comedic to the existential-angst inducing~

Thank you to everyone who took part in the poll, and thank you for all your suggestions! We didn't manage to squeeze in all of them, but we tried to include at least one suggestion from everyone who recommended some.

Sweet, I know I'll be checking out a few of those this month. Maybe a late night All Hallows' Eve read~ :marie:

edit: 100. spooooky

Edited by Sayaka