What visual novel have you attempted to get into most often but continually lost interest in?

EntireInternet

Apologies if this topic has been posted a lot or is pretty common, I'm new here. And I really didn't know what to search for it, and just wanted to participate in this community a bit.

So yeah, as the title says anything you haven't been able to get into despite numerous attempts? Why do you keep trying to get into it if that's the case? Did you finish any where this was a problem for you?

For me there are a few, Cross Channel I've tried a few times but haven't made it past the start really. I keep going back because I do generally like the genre but I just get bored of it pretty early I guess? Maybe I'll try again soon.

YU-NO

I've heard fantastic things about this visual novel, and have attempted to play it more than once - but every time I try it kinda drop it midway because the system is infuriating, and the art is pretty old. That said, apparently there's a remake coming soon, so there's that.

Steins;Gate, CLANNAD

Now before you raise pitchforks and torches to burn me at the stake, let me explain. Apparently these few VNs had a pretty good anime adaptations (some of the best, actually), and because of that, most of the twists are already spoiled for me, and I don't get any interest playing it. My policy now is that if an anime has a VN counterpart, I will always play it first, or wait for it to be translated, unless there is beyond a shadow of a doubt that it will ever be translated.

SubaHibi

I've also heard great things about this, but seriously, the first chapter really turned me off, and while the second and third chapter had its moments, I really need to get into the mood to enjoy this series. Also, because its seriously weird (in a good way, though weirdness need some time to get used to). I will eventually finish this... someday.

Kara no Shoujo 2

The extended flashback scene was WAAAY too long, and while not bad per se, overstayed its welcome. I'm going to get back to it soon, since its Halloween and all.

... Pretty much a lot more which I've forgotten (Phenomeno, KoiNatsu Resort and Myth is some I kinda remember), these are the most memorable ones.  

Cross Channel is generally a slow burn and I can emphathise with dropping it because until beyond the halfway mark its seems like a weird slice-of-life and you have no idea what's going on. It gets better later though, though I must admit, the ending really left much to be desired.

1 hour ago, LAsuka said:

Steins;Gate, CLANNAD

Now before you raise pitchforks and torches to burn me at the stake, let me explain. Apparently these few VNs had a pretty good anime adaptations (some of the best, actually), and because of that, most of the twists are already spoiled for me, and I don't get any interest playing it. My policy now is that if an anime has a VN counterpart, I will always play it first, or wait for it to be translated, unless there is beyond a shadow of a doubt that it will ever be translated.

Yeah, it's the same for me. I gave up on trying to get into Clannad VN long time ago (though I technically only tried to read it once and even finished some route, but lost all interest after that). As for Steins;Gate, I tried to start reading it twice and gave up both times, one time right after I finished the anime and another time one or two years later. Well, it's been a while since then, and I was going to make another attempt in the near future, so we'll see how it goes.

I also feel ashamed that I still haven't finished Seabed. I mean, on one hand, this VN is absolutely awesome, and probably my second favorite I tried this year (the first one being Fata Morgana fandisc). On the other hand, it's also really, really boring. I had to stop reading for some time because I was busy with rl problems, and when I had time I simply didn't have motivation to actually finish it.

Edited by Dreamysyu

For me it has also been Kara No Shoujo 2 and Seabed. Yeah that fucking long prologue for Kara 2 absolutely killed it for me.  What made it worse was that it was a prologue that featured characters that I had absolutely no connection with. I'm sorry but that's not how you tell a story. They should have either cut it in half or intermingled it with the main story. Or like, not had it at all.

Seabed really through me off with its abrupt character change, time frame change, location change, right when I was starting to get invested with the story.

Hatsukoi 1/1 is another one that I've tried to play because I really like two of the girls especially Maya but I fucking hate the protag. He's one of the worst protags I've seen and every time I try and start it up I'm confronted by his ineptitude and I immediately stop.

I still recommend Steins;Gate because the VN is a unique experience and differs in some ways from the anime. That VN is a masterpiece, the way the drama and tension build up to the last chapter, where you have to make your fatal choice. However, it's pretty much unplayable without a walkthrough or flowchart, at least as far as the true ending goes.

The VNs I have struggled the most with are moege, in particular, Yuzusoft works such as Noble*Works and Dracu Riot, I start them but quickly get bored of them, and I think that the actual routes aren't that good.

Edited by Okarin

27 minutes ago, Okarin said:

I still recommend Steins;Gate because the VN is a unique experience and differs in some ways from the anime. That VN is a masterpiece, the way the drama and tension build up to the last chapter, where you have to make your fatal choice. However, it's pretty much unplayable without a walkthrough or flowchart, at least as far as the true ending goes.

Not biased btw :makina:

But yeah I agree Steins;Gate is one of my favorites, I've read it several times so I can agree with it. Reading it again with a friend now even.

34 minutes ago, Ranzo said:

For me it has also been Kara No Shoujo 2 and Seabed. Yeah that fucking long prologue for Kara 2 absolutely killed it for me.  What made it worse was that it was a prologue that featured characters that I had absolutely no connection with. I'm sorry but that's not how you tell a story. They should have either cut it in half or intermingled it with the main story. Or like, not had it at all.

Seabed really through me off with its abrupt character change, time frame change, location change, right when I was starting to get invested with the story.

Hatsukoi 1/1 is another one that I've tried to play because I really like two of the girls especially Maya but I fucking hate the protag. He's one of the worst protags I've seen and every time I try and start it up I'm confronted by his ineptitude and I immediately stop.

I didn't really like Kara 2 at all, so I can't relate entirely because I just don't like the type of story so I didn't get into it at all. Seabed I have no experience, but that sounds a bit interesting anyway maybe I'll try it out. And with Hatsukoi, yep, he's like a wet paper bag really. I mean I don't really ever expect them to be great, but where there at leaves so much to be desired.

2 hours ago, onorub said:

I think If My Heart Had Wings was the biggest example where i really wanted to like it, but i became so disinterested after the common route that i began playing videos in the background while i read the individual routes.

I have it, but haven't started it yet. That's a bit disheartening to hear.

2 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Yeah, it's the same for me. I gave up on trying to get into Clannad VN long time ago (though I technically only tried to read it once and even finished some route, but lost all interest after that). As for Steins;Gate, I tried to start reading it twice and gave up both times, one time right after I finished the anime and another time one or two years later. Well, it's been a while since then, and I was going to make another attempt in the near future, so we'll see how it goes.

I also feel ashamed that I still haven't finished Seabed. I mean, on one hand, this VN is absolutely awesome, and probably my second favorite I tried this year (the first one being Fata Morgana fandisc). On the other hand, it's also really, really boring. I had to stop reading for some time because I was busy with rl problems, and when I had time I simply didn't have motivation to actually finish it.

Clannad is definitely a pain to get into and through unless you want to see particular girls routes I feel. Especially since the anime itself does a pretty good job adapting the Afterstory anyway. Steins;Gate is also pretty difficult because of all the science jargon and exposition towards the start. It's only saving grace is the mystery for that early part, unless you've seen the anime. And Seabed I haven't checked out, so that seems like an interesting conundrum I'll be sure to take a look>

4 hours ago, LAsuka said:

YU-NO

I've heard fantastic things about this visual novel, and have attempted to play it more than once - but every time I try it kinda drop it midway because the system is infuriating, and the art is pretty old. That said, apparently there's a remake coming soon, so there's that.

Steins;Gate, CLANNAD

SubaHibi

I've also heard great things about this, but seriously, the first chapter really turned me off, and while the second and third chapter had its moments, I really need to get into the mood to enjoy this series. Also, because its seriously weird (in a good way, though weirdness need some time to get used to). I will eventually finish this... someday.

Kara no Shoujo 2

The extended flashback scene was WAAAY too long, and while not bad per se, overstayed its welcome. I'm going to get back to it soon, since its Halloween and all.

... Pretty much a lot more which I've forgotten (Phenomeno, KoiNatsu Resort and Myth is some I kinda remember), these are the most memorable ones.  

Cross Channel is generally a slow burn and I can emphathise with dropping it because until beyond the halfway mark its seems like a weird slice-of-life and you have no idea what's going on. It gets better later though, though I must admit, the ending really left much to be desired.

That's a lot, though I definitely feel like I struggled with Clannad when I started it I did finish it. I haven't really tried much for the others you've mentioned except Kara no Shoujo 2 which I didn't like so I stopped after one try.

I think it'd be The House in Fata Morgana for me. I feel really bad saying that (a friend gifted it to me) but I can't seem to get into it and whenever I try and read it, I wind up feeling super sleepy within 30 or so minutes. I wish I could get into it, and I want to keep trying to do so as it seems to be a really well received and interesting VN, based off comments both here and elsewhere, but I haven't quite figured out how to get past wanting to sleep...

In my recent memory, I'd say Himawari. I struggled really hard to finish Aries' route, and once I was done, I couldn't find in me the will to keep going. I couldn't bring myself to care for the characters nor where the story and mysteries were going. I've heard that it's a really good VN and it's worth reading, so maybe I'll give it another chance in the future if I'm in the right mood for it. 

Ya know, I still have something of an urge to finish Grisaia, but I doubt I'll ever actually read it again. There are plenty of individual segments that amuse me, but the plot in the common route just feels so horribly stagnant. Because there was so little plot progression and no explicit foreshadowing to keep me hooked, each scene transition would have a massive drain on my stamina. I tried to stick to it till the end because I really wanted to get to Sachi's route, but eventually the exhaustion got to me and I gave up.

4 hours ago, Thyndd said:

In my recent memory, I'd say Himawari. I struggled really hard to finish Aries' route, and once I was done, I couldn't find in me the will to keep going. I couldn't bring myself to care for the characters nor where the story and mysteries were going. I've heard that it's a really good VN and it's worth reading, so maybe I'll give it another chance in the future if I'm in the right mood for it. 

No lie, if i didn't see the amount of hype for Aqua's route, i would've dropped it after Aries just like you. That was like, 30 minutes of interesting stuff for 7 hours of boredom. Hell, hunting for bad endings was more fun than the route itself.

3 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Ya know, I still have something of an urge to finish Grisaia, but I doubt I'll ever actually read it again. There are plenty of individual segments that amuse me, but the plot in the common route just feels so horribly stagnant. Because there was so little plot progression and no explicit foreshadowing to keep me hooked, each scene transition would have a massive drain on my stamina. I tried to stick to it till the end because I really wanted to get to Sachi's route, but eventually the exhaustion got to me and I gave up.

Yeah, I didn't include this on my thing because I've only tried to read it once or twice as opposed to a great many of times but that's another one I struggled with. Then again I tend to have a bit more difficulty with any visual novel of the sort with a dude surrounded by girls and no other men, even if they are just throw away characters. The entire setting of Grisaia just wasn't for me but I know people love it so it may become one of those I try again and again in the future.

Comyu yet again

Super difficult to keep up with and i dont like any of the characters up to this point. I hear kagome is awesome and her route is the best, but that attitude of hers is a no go for me. Does she ever drop it, or does she stick with being a revolting hardcore sadist. I guess a lot of people like that kind of thing.

8 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Comyu yet again

Super difficult to keep up with and i dont like any of the characters up to this point. I hear kagome is awesome and her route is the best, but that attitude of hers is a no go for me. Does she ever drop it, or does she stick with being a revolting hardcore sadist. I guess a lot of people like that kind of thing.

I can definitely understand that. If I'm being completely honest when I read that one I fast-forwarded through all the routes except for 2, because you have to do them all to unlock the last.

Spoiler

And yeah, she gets character development in her route but it is towards the end.

Honestly if you're struggling with it I don't think Comyu is worth the effort. It was fine but it wasn't anything that great. I didn't regret reading it but it's not something you'll get anything out of forcing yourself through I think.

Edited by EntireInternet

Just now, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

For me, that would be The House in Fata Morgana. Always escapes the back of my mind whenever I'm searching for VNs to read. I don't know why, since the VN itself has an interesting premise.

Tried it once, but i can't get into it without voiced lines :/ feels cheap

3 minutes ago, Bishounen-P said:

Used to be Grisaia for me until I finally decided to give up after getting a bit into Makina's route, now it's Analogue: A Hate Story.

Strongly recommend you finishing up the routes and doing the sequels if you do like the characters! Only gets better and better once you hit the sequels.

Edited by Stormwolf

• 4 weeks later...