School project horror VN

Sworb

I'm doing a final school project and for me to get a grade on it it's required for me to do some research by asking people questions. I'm making a horror VN and it would be really helpful if some of you could take the time to answer the few questions in my form. 

The entire thing is anonymous so you won't have to leave a name or anything.  

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer! If you have any questions about this you can post here or send me a message! ^-^

Here is the link to the form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScLhwfCO-mb0qMVSaC6CU8ul5hlao6PP-E0WNaqRmfx-dCp9A/viewform?usp=sf_link

Edited by Sworb
Editing title

Also, allow me some criticism for the actual questionnaire.

Do you have an example from an visual horror novel about something you really liked?

This question is WAY too broad. There are a lot of really good horror VNs, and it's pretty impossible to explain why each of them is better than the others in just a few words. Asking about different aspects of the story and of the game itself (like music and visuals) would work better.

Do you like shorter or longer visual novels? *

Yes

No

Now read this again. :leecher:

Edited by Dreamysyu

37 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Now read this again.

Strictly speaking, the question is valid. It's asking if you like either shorter VNs or longer VNs, not which you prefer. It's actually odd that that is the interpretation people immediately jump to. Nothing about the sentence indicates comparison, but since they're two contrasting options...

It does not seem like what he intended to ask, however.

7 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Strictly speaking, the question is valid. It's asking if you like either shorter VNs or longer VNs, not which you prefer. It's actually odd that that is the interpretation people immediately jump to. Nothing about the sentence indicates comparison, but since they're two contrasting options...

It does not seem like what he intended to ask, however.

Yeah, I know that this question technically makes sense grammatically, but it also has "Both" as an option, so it definitely is comparison.

6 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Also, I'm pretty sure that most titles people are going to bring up will be 18+... I'm not sure if mentioning these visual novels in your school project is a wise idea.

Welp you can be a bit selective about the content of the VN you decide to make public. Like, we all know the so-called +18 scenes usually have little to no relevance plot-wise :leecher:

5 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

Ye I don't really think things like euphoria or starless should end up on a school project.

...Oh. Never mind.

On the other hand if someone recognized that you could be friends for life!

4 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Yeah, I know that this question technically makes sense grammatically

Does it though? :michiru: It's grammatically a yes/no question, sure, the problem is that as I understand it, the comparative degree needs a standard to which the object is compared, either explicitly or inferred from the discourse. So, while syntactically and morphologically correct, it's semantically and pragmatically wrong :notlikemiya: For example, if we were talking about ... let's say Saya no Uta, The question would become "Do you like shorter or longer VNs (than Saya no Uta)?", "no" meaning that the person enjoys VNs of about that length the most.

PS: Do not include Saya no Uta in your horror VN list for school, OP. Please.

Edited by Thyndd

12 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Also, allow me some criticism for the actual questionnaire.

This question is WAY too broad. There are a lot of really good horror VNs, and it's pretty impossible to explain why each of them is better than the others in just a few words. Asking about different aspects of the story and of the game itself (like music and visuals) would work better.

Now read this again. :leecher:

Yeah, I just saw that I accidentally put yes or no on that question, but it's fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out though!

12 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

You know, I recommend you to edit the name of the topic and the first post to show what the form is actually about. Also, I'm pretty sure that most titles people are going to bring up will be 18+... I'm not sure if mentioning these visual novels in your school project is a wise idea.

As far as I know, it doesn't matter if some are 18+. If it does I just won't mention those ones and try to look at the ones that don't have any or just a little bit of 18+ content. But thank you for thinking about it, if I was in a lower grade I'm sure it wouldn't be too smart to mention those kinds of VN's. 

• 4 years later...
On 10/4/2018 at 9:13 PM, Sworb said:

I'm doing a final school project and for me to get a grade on it it's required for me to do some research by asking people questions. I'm making a horror VN and it would be really helpful if some of you could take the time to answer the few questions in my form. 

The entire thing is anonymous so you won't have to leave a name or anything.  

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer! If you have any questions about this you can post here or send me a message! ^-^

Here is the link to the form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScLhwfCO-mb0qMVSaC6CU8ul5hlao6PP-E0WNaqRmfx-dCp9A/viewform?usp=sf_link

That's indeed an interesting project. Did you choose to do such a project yourself, or was it a task for everyone? I'd really like to have such tasks because I like reading VN, and I'm thinking about writing one myself, but I don't have time for it now. But if it's a school project, I'd for sure find time for it. Besides, we have a writing class, and maybe one day, I'll have a chance to work on something like this. But for now, I write on issues far from novels. Last week I finished a self-reflection paper, and it was such a challenge to write it. Luckily, I found this source here https://supremestudy.com/essay-examples/self-reflection/ where I read different useful self-reflection essay examples which not only helped me to write a paper but also provided me with so much new info about it. And for writers, such a thing is important because people who write may always face burnout, and with self-reflection, it can be possible to avoid it. It's a more psychological aspect, which is interesting for me, and maybe, my first novel will be connected to it.

Edited by thomaswalsh