Spooky VN Challenge Palooza

Ranzo

https://pa1.narvii.com/6349/a7e14d3a4c892aa53846827c68690a391b20f4ae_hq.gif

It's that time of year all you ghouls and goblins, when we spend a month or a day celebrating the things that frighten us whilst trying to forget about the slow pull of entropy that will inevitably steal the breath from your lungs and the beat from your heart. Yes, its October. So, in order to kick of this spookfest I propose a challenge, try and finish as many horror themed vns as possible before the month is through. Also I don't know write about what you thought about it, and if it actually spooked you or didn't. If you have already finished every single horror themed vn then I guess you can whine about the relative lack of horror vns in the first place. So go forth you daring devils and get spooked! Or don't. I couldn't really care less.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/2a8097bc6b33a70abbfbaf94ee8c07df/tumblr_ndpxu8ZMp21ti1gm1o1_500.gif

Edited by Ranzo

I'm not huge on horror (especially the type that involves jumpscares), but here are a few free horror EVNs I enjoyed:

Not horror but still appropriate for the season:

Looking at my backlog, I can try to get through at least some of these:

Edited by lunaterra

Okay so the first horror vn has been completed by me

I finished playing Soundless and I thought it was really good, now on to the next one

List of ones I still need to play

Saya No Ulta*

House of Fata Morgana

Kara No Shoujo 2

Higurashi, vol 2 3 4

The Letter?

Oh yeah Corpse Party! I should try that out next.

5 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Higurashi, vol 2 3 4

Well, starting with chapter 5 Higurashi starts to slowly move away from the traditional type of horror more towards tragedy and drama, but at the same time I feel that chapters 5 and 6 are still the most disturbing ones, so I recommend to read them too.

Edited by Dreamysyu

I just finished the first episode of Omega no Shikai, a mind-fuck, cryptic-as-hell kind of psychological horror VN. I've been meaning to read this VN for the longest time, and I even started it at one point, but this screen made me give up back then.

Our main character goes back to countryside where he used to live, and weird things start to happen. There's ancient family tradition, murders, cats, maybe witches(?), every other chapter is cryptic monologue or something, something big is going in the background, and it's weird and pretty cool. Not very spooky so far, but there's been some pretty unsettling scenes here and there. But on the other hand the mystery elements are super intriguing. The cryptic information is laid so thick that sometimes you have no clue what's going, how is even talking, or what about, but little by little you start to understand(maybe?) small things and it feels super satisfying. And I've just barely scratched surface! I can't wait when actual revelations start to happen! It's fun to read something so unrestrained, a mystery so cryptic it probably wouldn't ever happen anywhere else, except in obscure doujin like this.

And aside from the weirdness, it actually pretty good in other areas too. The cast has been fantastic so far, all the characters are interesting and bit weird, including the main character. And partly because everyone is so quirky the humour and character interactions are so good. The weird tangents and silliness give much needed break from the sometimes mind-bending interludes, and in turn enhance the effectiveness of actually unsettling parts because the gap is so noticeable. It's also nicely atmospheric and find the art-style pretty endearing despite some the rough qualities. Definitely not for everyone, but if you want to read something different and weird, Omega no Shikai is pretty cool.

Oh, but everyone should at least watch the opening. It's really atmospheric and fitting for the season, I feel.