Core i5, Core i7

sakata-sann

Higher number of cores just means you can run more threads simultaneously. In other words unpacking (winrar etc.), compilers and such benefit but games and especially emulators need single core performance which USED TO be bad with processors like core i7, but these days it's good enough. Also newer generation core i5 is likely more performant than old generation core i7. Visual novels are not very demanding, older PC's can run them just fine.

A recent-generation i5 you mean (7XXX, 8XXX)? I don't think there's one that wouldn't run VNs smoothly. I mean, I try to think of the most demanding ones, like Nekopara, and those can still run on a potato. There's some VR VNs in the working, but I don't think even a VR headset necessarily needs an i7 processor, those are more dependent on the graphics card (that is, you'd need at least something like GeForce GTX 1050ti to be 100% they'll run well - they won't be the most demanding VR games either).

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

6 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

A recent-generation i5 you mean (7XXX, 8XXX)? I don't think there's one that wouldn't run VNs smoothly. I mean, I try to think of the most demanding ones, like Nekopara, and those can still run on a potato. There's some VR VNs in the working, but I don't think even a VR headset necessarily needs an i7 processor, those are more dependent on the graphics card (that is, you'd need at least something like GeForce GTX 1050ti to be 100% they'll run well - they won't be the most demanding VR games either).

Is true, I thought about having a core i5 or i7 because in my i3 they are not running well, maybe is because of the ram (4gb). But like you said, is about the graphics card, but the VNs I play are very basic, nothing like Nekopara or something like that.

Edited by sakata-sann

The 4-core i3's are just fine for even mainstream graphics-heavy 3D games.  They're more than enough for VNs.  Most games nowadays can't really take advantage of more than 4 cores anyway.

Personally I'd go for the 6-core i5s or the 8-core i7s because I'm an enthusiast, I spend most of my time at a PC, and they don't cost a whole lot more.  The extra cores allow for better multi-tasking and speed up certain tasks such as extracting compressed archives.  They'll also be leveraged by the emerging ray-tracing features in upcoming 3D games.

If you only care about visual novels, you might as well get used parts and build a second gen i7 pc. most of that hardware comes dirt-cheap at the moment and despite the age gap, still handles very well. It's because after the Nehalem revolution, modern cpu's haven't really changed much since then; every new generation shrinks in size and pushes up to 8-15% more performance, but the tech alone was a huge jump from anything previously available. Coupled with a decent GPU, you wouldn't really have problems running even the newest games on those, if you'd ever like. 2600k and something like 1050ti would be perfectly fine for budget gaming in 1080p and you can always opt to overclock for a considerable performance boost.

I have a new top-of-the-line PC with 8700k and an over 10 year old pc with oc'ed q6600, which I was still using daily not so long ago. I had no problems running anything on that old quad (it worked paired with 750ti first, swapped later for 1050ti), least vns. Even something like Q9400 should be okay now and you can literally build yourself a working PC for a silly amount of money, although socket 755 is becoming obsolete due to it's limitations (mainly RAM - only 8GB max, it's difficult to get your hands on such large RAM sticks).

if you dont play anything else besides VNs you can stick with an I3 preferably one of the latest generation ones, I5 are decent too but you might not even need that much processing power in a VN I used to use an I5 before I upgraded to an I7 and I used it for games like dragon age and the witcher on high specs along with my 1080 Ti and it worked fine.           But eh watever suits your taste