Island

Narcosis

island_header.png

ISLAND

VNDB: https://vndb.org/v18498

BUY on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/857450/ISLAND/

Summary
Urashima is a small island, far from mainland Japan. It’s a true utopia, blessed with rich natural beauty. But the island harbours a difficult past, and it’s about to be erased, silently, from history.

Soot blight syndrome, an endemic disease, has brought about a rift between the island and the mainland. An offshore platform intended for marine research has long been left abandoned; five years ago, three separate incidents brought the once influential Three Families of Urashima to near ruin. Rumours about children being spirited away have become part of the local folklore, alongside another legend, one that has been repeated on the island since time immemorial...

“Let me tell you the legend of this island: it’s a story of tragic love...”

The key to saving the island lies with three girls, each of whom belongs to one of the Three Families. These girls aren’t able to change the fate of the island by themselves, but might they succeed with the help of the young man who’s just washed ashore? Claiming that he’s traveled back in time, the man immediately sets out on a lonely path, challenging the long-standing traditions of the island, and seeking to change the future. But those aren’t his only goals...

How will his presence transform the lives of these three girls, the future of the island, and the fate of the world...?

[From official website]

About "Island"

Similar to G.O.'s previous works (Himawari), Island is a science fiction multiple route mystery with a fixed progression order. Your own enjoyment from the game will greatly depend whether you're capable of piecing together the presented fragments on the way to discover the truth. Despite being an all-ages title, Island is choke heavy on sexual humor (called shimoneta in japanese) and adult themes, including sexual content; explicit erotic content is simply not shown on-screen. Story discusses topics such as death and rebirth, loss of beloved ones, family, personal responsibility and a variety of science fiction related subjects - with time travel and many-worlds interpretation amongst few - but also astrophysics, genetics, spirituality, philosophy, human psychology and history of mankind. Most of the topics are entry-level, making Island a perfect choice for beginners willing to delve deeper into more complicated visual novels.

General Info

It is possible to actually chose between Karen and Sara during your initial playthrough, but I highly advise to chose Karen first, since her route acts as a natural introduction to the setting, without being as convoluted or cryptic as Sara's.

Island contains many alternate endings (The so called BAD ENDS, although only few of them are tragic), with vast majority being story-based (non "game over" screens, where the protagonist typically just dies). Those endings need to be cleared in order to progress the story beyond certain points.

The overall recommended progression order is as follows:

SUMMER [Karen (restart) -> Sara (restart) -> Rinne] -> WINTER -> MIDSUMMER [Rinne End -> True End]

This guide follows the above mentioned order, unlocking all the content along the way.

Endings
Aside from four main endings (Karen, Sara, Rinne and True End), there are total thirteen alternate endings available in-game (twelve for the SUMMER and one for the MIDSUMMER). You will see them all in a fixed order, provided you follow this guide. Names for the BAD ENDINGS are as follows (within their chronological order):

Spoiler
  • Butterfly Effect (SUMMER, Only available after reaching MIDSUMMER)
  • The End of Cycle (SUMMER)
  • The Other Time Traveler (SUMMER)
  • A New World - My True Self (SUMMER)
  • Painting A Bright Future (SUMMER)
  • Carry on Dreaming (SUMMER)
  • Baton Pass (SUMMER - KAREN)
  • The Third Time Traveler (SUMMER - SARA)
  • The Result of a Compromise (SUMMER - SARA)
  • Bewitched by a Snake (SUMMER - SARA)
  • Where's That Girl From? (SUMMER - SARA)
  • Think About Her (SUMMER - SARA)
  • Thank You, and Goodbye (SUMMER - SARA)

Walkthrough

Guide:

• All the saves are meant to be done during choices. The total number of saves used in this guide equals 16 and allows you to 100% clear the entire game.
  • Save states in red are meant only for collecting BAD ENDS. You can skip those, if you prefer the trial & error approach. Regardless, this guide always assumes you have them cleared whenever required.
  • Save states in blue are used for progression and remain the only ones you should be concerned about in general. We will be using those to jump quickly to required scenes without being forced to continously repeat large portions of the story.
  • "Your choice" describes so called "flavour choices"; no matter the decision, they always lead to same exact outcome so pick whichever you like the most. Answers are merely kept to ease guidance.
  • If you're lost or unsure, don't forget about the in-game flowchart! You can access it any time from the In-game menu and it can also be used to jump between already cleared scenes, similar to loading save states. Use it often!

SUMMER

Spoiler

Also known as the Common Route, Summer has three possible outcomes - you'll either accompany Rinne or end up with Karen or Sara during the beach party. Only the latter two are available on your first playthrough. To unlock Rinne's route, you'll need to clear both Karen and Sara's routes respectively.

# It's left!
# Rinne!
# [SAVE 01] ...Setsuna
# I'm Sanzenkai Setsuna. Nice to meet you too! (Your choice)
# [SAVE 02] Get ready for a proper time traveler showdown
# Rinne's cute. <3 (Your choice)
# [SAVE 03] Abort your mission
# Go and find some glue (Your choice)
# Give them the two-hour version (Your choice)
# Flirt with Kuon (Your choice)
# [SAVE 04] Go to the beach with Karen and Sara
# [SAVE 05] I'll find myself here on the island
# [SAVE 06] I was born into this age

Please continue below.

island_karen.png

KAREN

Hide contents

# Accept the here and now
# [SAVE 07] I'm sorry
# [SAVE 08] Yesterday (You will get an entirely different, lengthy conversation with each choice but ultimately all of them lead down the same route; they aren't required to clear the game, but be sure to check them all out!)
# Because I've fallen for you (Your choice)
# Let's leave this Island together (Your choice)
# I love you, Karen
END

island_sara.png

SARA

Hide contents

[LOAD 06]
# I came from the future
# [SAVE 09] Keep your mouth shut
# [SAVE 10] I can't die for her
# [SAVE 11] Wipe Sara's tears
# [SAVE 12] I have to tell him
# [SAVE 13] [Select blank choice]
# Yeah (Your choice)
# [SAVE 14] I will die with Sara
# Sara
END

island_rinne.png

RINNE

Spoiler

[LOAD 05]
# I've already found myself
# I am Setsuna (Your choice)
# I've just witnessed a miracle (Your choice)
# The same (Your choice)
# Reread the passage carefully (Your choice)
# ... (Your choice)
# You're right (Your choice)
# Your chest (Your  choice)
Continue to Winter

Upon the end of this route the title screen will change to reflect you reached the Winter chapter.

island_winter.png

WINTER

Spoiler

Also known as Never Island. To access this chapter you will have to clear all the previously available heroine routes. Winter is self-contained and without choices, so just sit back and enjoy what's considerably the best part of the entire story!

MIDSUMMER

Spoiler

After finishing Winter and starting a new game, you will return to that faithful seashore scene from the very beginning of Summer chapter. You need all the bad endings collected, including the last one - Butterfly Effect - to gain access to Midsummer and it's endings.

Midsummer serves as the conclusion to the entire story and branches off into two distinct endings - the Rinne End, also known as "Happy End" and the True End. The latter is considered canon by the writer himself, hence the apostrophes over Rinne's ending (With time you'll understand why). You will see both endings regardless, as their order is fixed. To access the True End you need to clear the entire game (all routes + bad endings) and finish Rinne's Ending first.

island_rinne_end.png

RINNE'S END

Spoiler

Start from the beginning.

# [SAVE 15] It's left!
# Rinné
# She has her reasons (Your Choice)

# Thirteen years old (Your Choice)
# The Setsuna of Legend (Your Choice)
# The Ohara family's son (Your choice)
# She's not related to the Oharas (Your choice)
# [SAVE 16] I swear I'll make Rinne happy
END

island_true_end.png

RE: (TRUE END)

Spoiler

[LOAD 16]
# I swear I'll make Rinné happy
# Rinne came from the future
# Rinne doesn't have a father

# Kuon is wrong
END

BAD ENDINGS

Spoiler

[LOAD 1]
# I'm me (I don't know)
=> BAD END "The End of the Cycle" GET!

[LOAD 2]
# ...Nah, I'm being ridiculous
=> BAD END "The Other Time Traveller" GET!

[LOAD 3]
# Carry out your mission
=> BAD END "A New World - My True Self" GET!

[LOAD 4]
# Continue watch over Rinne
=> BAD END "Painting a Bright Future" GET!

[LOAD 6]
# I came from the past
=> BAD END "Carry on Dreaming" GET!

[LOAD 7]
# ...
=> BAD END "Baton Pass" GET!

[LOAD 9]
# Tell her the truth
=> BAD END "The Third Time Traveller" GET!

[LOAD 10]
# I would die for her
=> BAD END "The Result of a Compromise" GET!

[LOAD 11]
# Wait for Sara to stop crying
=> BAD END "Bewitched by a Snake" GET!

[LOAD 12]
# No need to mention it
=> BAD END "Where's That Girl From?" GET!

[LOAD 13]
# Kill Sara
=> BAD END "Think About Her" GET!

[LOAD 14]
# Bring Sara to her senses
=> BAD END "Thank You, and Goodbye" GET!

[LOAD 15]
# Right!
=> BAD END "Buterfly Effect" GET!

Attribution
This guide was made thanks to the walkthrough available on Seiya-Saiga repository. All rights go to their respective owners. Everything else was done by le watakushi. If you'd like the high-res version of the title banner, PM me.

Changelog

28/08/2019 - Rewrote certain parts of the guide for better workflow and fixed an inconsistency with Common/Summer route, which also made me partially omit one of the bad endings.
05/10/2018 - True end retrieved it's original name
09/09/2018 - Initial release

Edited by Narcosis

Took a while longer than expected, but here it is - a fully polished walkthrough/guide for Frontwing's Island.

I hope this guide will help everyone enjoy Island to the fullest without being forced to hunt for bad endings or getting stuck. It's a fantastic visual novel and real treat for fans of science fiction.

As usual - if you have suggestions or found any mistakes or typos - drop me a note and I'll be sure to fix everything.

You should really mention you can easily move around with the built-in Flowchart and you didn't even mention the Walkthrough Guide that is already available on Steam Guides which is actually better than this. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1497808978

Also the True End is called "Re:".

Edited by Shaun

• 3 weeks later...
On 17.09.2018 at 7:48 AM, Shaun said:

You should really mention you can easily move around with the built-in Flowchart and you didn't even mention the Walkthrough Guide that is already available on Steam Guides which is actually better than this. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1497808978

Also the True End is called "Re:".

That's true and I do mention about the flowchart. The reason why I don't bring it up on the first playthrough is because flowchart actually spoils event cgs and content before it's actually introduced to the players; I don't consider this normal, therefore can't recommend it as nothing more than help later on.

If you find the Steam's guide better, you're free to use it instead. It's obvious both are based on the content already found out by japanese players, while I also provide potential save slots, instead of forcing players to skip through the game with every playthrough.

Thanks for mentioning about the true end's name; I probably forgot to include it with the final revision.

4 hours ago, SeniorBlitz said:

Yer should ask a mod to move it if it's done.

He already did. I basically just stalled making a decision for so long I forgot.
The fact that it technically doesn't follow the formatting rules by forcing the use of save points on Sara and the True end bothers me. If this one is moved then others may come in its wake that also don't follow the formatting guidelines in one way or another.

However, this doesn't really matter much. I'd prefer it if it remained here, as it is equally accessible, but if @Narcosis wants me to move it and lock it, I will. Just say the word.

15 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

He already did. I basically just stalled making a decision for so long I forgot.
The fact that it technically doesn't follow the formatting rules by forcing the use of save points on Sara and the True end bothers me. If this one is moved then others may come in its wake that also don't follow the formatting guidelines in one way or another.

However, this doesn't really matter much. I'd prefer it if it remained here, as it is equally accessible, but if @Narcosis wants me to move it and lock it, I will. Just say the word.

'kay then mate. :mare:7

Edited by Guest

• 3 months later...
Guest lucascba93
On 16/1/2019 at 6:24 AM, Narcosis said:

It's there.

Where?

11 hours ago, Shaun said:

I wish they never made the "Re:" ending, the most worthless ending they could have made, I will never consider that the true end.

Spoiler

It felt like a sham. Why Rinne said she had already received the ring when they married? It's like totally hinting you she's Rinné. But then it comes Re:...

On 17.01.2019 at 4:47 PM, lucascba93 said:

Where?

You were right - I omitted that one ending. I rewrote the Walkthrough part to better reflect how the story flows; it should also make it far easier to follow the entire guide from now on. Thanks!

That one took me an entire year to spot, haha.

• 2 months later...
Guest Playcool92
On 28/08/2019 at 7:26 PM, Narcosis said:

You were right - I omitted that one ending. I rewrote the Walkthrough part to better reflect how the story flows; it should also make it far easier to follow the entire guide from now on. Thanks!

That one took me an entire year to spot, haha.

Just created an account here to let you know this guide is wrong at a choice.

For Rinné choice to appear at the end for True End route, this:

# The Setsuna of Legend (Your Choice) 

This is NOT up to your choice, you have to choose Setstuna there, anything else and you will never unlock the true route, even with all bad endings and seeing all 100% text up to now.
Dunno which propted you to think that was left to your choice, but to unlock the option you need to go back there and choose Setsuna.

• 3 months later...
On 11/3/2019 at 1:32 AM, Playcool92 said:

Just created an account here to let you know this guide is wrong at a choice.

For Rinné choice to appear at the end for True End route, this:

# The Setsuna of Legend (Your Choice) 

This is NOT up to your choice, you have to choose Setstuna there, anything else and you will never unlock the true route, even with all bad endings and seeing all 100% text up to now.
Dunno which propted you to think that was left to your choice, but to unlock the option you need to go back there and choose Setsuna.

This is true! In fact, none of those choices are up to you. You need to get them all correct for the Rinné option to appear.
She has her reasons -> Thirteen years old -> Setsuna -> The Ohara Family's son -> She's not related to the Oharas.

Edited by Noumi Kudryavka