Koi ni, Kanmi o Soete - what is it?

adamstan

Hi, today I stumbled upon this VN in the "upcoming releases" section on VNDB.

33579.jpg

Koi ni, Kanmi o Soete - it looks like it's going to be released by Sekai/Denpasoft this Friday (07.09.2018) by the title of "Love's sweet garnish". There are almost no votes and no screens on VNDB. Do you know this VN? Is it worth playing?

Edited by adamstan

19 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

It seems your link links this thread.

oops... fixed now.

19 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

and a steam page.

Will check it out when I get home, as at work both Steam and YT are blocked ;) Thanks.

With only two heroines it will probably be rather short.

Edited by adamstan

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

I wondered why I missed it on Steam, and it turned out that it doesn't have "Visual Novel" tag attached to it. How does tag system work exactly? Are they put by publisher, or by users?

A bit of both. Developers can put up their own tags (they're users too, you see), but it ends up being by public tagging in the end, as anyone can put some.

So, today I finished reading this.

It's short, nice and fluffy :) The very beginning feels little sluggish, but then fortunately it picks up decent pace.

I liked the heroines, so I was able to enjoy it. But a word of warning - it's filled with moege tropes, so if it's not your thing, stay away from it.

Spoiler

Childhood promise? - check
Festival date? - check
Endless talking about food? - check
cute imouto-like character? - check
Pet mascot? - check
and so on, and so on... ;)

As far as story is concerned I have one complaint - where are the other routes? I mean, at least Chisato or Ciel not having a route is a crime. What about "First girl wins" trope, huh?

Art is good - both backgrounds and characters. Music wasn't too memorable, but wasn't annoying either ;)

The ability to quickly switch between languages is really nice, and I'd like to see it in other VNs too. (From the ones I played, only LB! had this.)

Now about English version. Translation itself seems decent, but editing must have been done in a rush, as it is rather messy when it comes to names and honorifics. I mean, if you want to have honorifics left in TL, at least don't mix them and naming conventions up, because then it makes no sense at all :P

Spoiler

Example: Until the protag gets close with one of the girls, he addresses both of them using "surname-san". Yet at one point, for reasons completely unknown to me, he addresses Richer by "Richer-chan", despite original text clearly saying "Shionomiya-san" - and that's what is used eariler and later too. Him saying "Richer-chan" at that point makes no sense whatsoever.

Or when Rira calls you at the beginning of her route, and says "Niwasaka" when announcing herself, yet translation uses her first name here.

Also sometimes names in dialogues are mixed-up. Like Richer speaks about Rira, but english text has her name instead and vice versa.

So it looks like editor couldn't make up their mind or was in a hurry.

Despite some flaws, I enjoyed it. It's short, so can be used as a breather between more serious titles.

Nothing great, but enjoyable. 7/10.

PS. I played all-ages version.

Edited by adamstan

7 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Now about English version. Translation itself seems decent, but editing must have been done in a rush, as it is rather messy when it comes to names and honorifics. I mean, if you want to have honorifics left in TL, at least don't mix them and naming conventions up, because then it makes no sense at all :P

Isn´t it almost always the case coming to those? dovac even commented on this issue not that long ago, like there´s no need wasting ressources on certain titles which aren´t expected to generate much profit, btw no doing additional editing/QC´ing to no delay releases any further

Edited by SaintOfVoid

1 hour ago, SaintOfVoid said:

Isn´t it almost always the case coming to those? dovac even commented on this issue not that long ago, like there´s no need wasting ressources on certain titles which aren´t expected to generate much profit, btw no doing additional editing/QC´ing to no delay releases any further

I am wondering why they then decided to do a physical release for the title. While I think you are right it does seem rather odd to make physicals for a VN that isn't considered likely to generate much profit. Taking into consideration that mangagamer just do physicals for the titles that sell well it seems rather odd for SP to expect to manage to not lose money on the physical release. Personally I am all for physical releases and want to see more of them, just seems like a rather odd title for a physical, especially when shipping is quite a lot compared to the price of the VN itself.

Edited by bakauchuujin

30 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

I am wondering why they then decided to do a physical release for the title. While I think you are right it does seem rather odd to make physicals for a VN that isn't considered likely to generate much profit. Taking into consideration that mangagamer just do physicals for the titles that sell well it seems rather odd for SP to expect to manage to not lose money on the physical release. Personally I am all for physical releases and want to see more of them, just seems like a rather odd title for a physical, especially when shipping is quite a lot compared to the price of the VN itself.

personally no idea why and why not, not even sure any more which title(s) in particular he´s been talking about. also no real idea what means profitable to them in terms of numbers or whatnot, but regardless of that, releasing things in an unfavourable state should be a big no-no, doesn´t matter if it´s aaa+ or most cheaply written indie trash - no fukking no customer should normally ever feel the need to manually patch stuff x-times before acceptable, that´s just awful, possible delay otherwise or not. basically like u ordering a mercedes and getting one with only 3seats, then after complaining being told to fukk off because it´s able to drive, so no rights to whine

Edited by SaintOfVoid

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Good to see that finally Sekai release English version of Koiama 2, and I hope that they didn't release their VNs in Chinese language first if possible. I also agree that Koiama 2 here is like Gochiusa like some people said, although of course it has male MC along with sex scenes for the most obvious differences.

Edited by littleshogun

On 9/11/2018 at 10:35 PM, SaintOfVoid said:

Well if they see no reason to make sure their products are as good as they can be, then i see no reason to hand them my hard earned money also