Ever played a VN twice?

Corrupted

Since I've only started playing VNs from about 1.5 years ago and I still have so much new stuff to read, I haven't. But I do plan to reread some VNs in the future, especially those that rely more on the atmosphere than the actual plot, so knowing what will succeed is not actually that important.

I've read Umineko twice, and I must say that the second time was the best. Umineko was literally my first VN, and I did not care enough by the time to go deep into the story and its many twists and hidden meanings. Besides, there is too much that you can miss in When They Cry (the series) if you don't know yet what is happening in the background. I intend to reread it again, but I need more years to do so.

Other VNs that I might reread someday are Forest, which I did not pay too much attention to when reading, Little Busters (I've just finished it, so only in the next five years or so), Never7, as it was the only game in the series that I did not expect the supernatural/sci fi elements, so didn't bother with them before, and maybe Katahane, as I enjoyed it a lot and I recall it having another version to be released.

17 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Not in full - but I read Kotori's route in Konosora twice. First time I dropped the VN after it, 'cause Ageha's route was unreadable, and then when retranslation patch was released I read whole VN again.

I have grand plans to reread Konosora, this time with the re translation and in preparation for Flight Diaries. HYPE.

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I've read VNs twice. Generally speaking, however, when rereading I reread only the bits I want to.

Similar for me - but slightly different by the fact that whenever I'm going back to a VN it's most likely because I want to write about it and revisit the fragments I find especially important or to read ones I've skipped in my first approach. I have yet to revisit a VN just for the fun of it - probably won't happen very soon, considering what my to-read list looks like and how I'm always working on new stuff. But even then, I would most likely read selected fragments/routes, unless it's a short kinetic or heavily linear VN where every piece of text is important. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

As with some others, I don't read the whole thing in full, but do read the common route and my favorite route. The two biggest examples of this would be Katawa Shoujo and Princess Evangile. For KS, I've taken to rereading the common route + the Hanako route (my favorite) every year. It's the route that got me hooked on the medium and even now I still find it fun and relaxing to read. As for PE I haven't yet reread it, but I greatly enjoyed it and plan on rereading the common route and Rise's route, before jumping into W Happiness for the first time. 

I'm also strongly considering rereading the Konomi and Tama-nee routes from To Heart 2 (I really REALLY liked those routes and heroines -

Spoiler

the confession scenes were great in both

) and also the Chisato route from Koichoco (I'm a fan of her as well).

Edited by snowbell55
Added some stuff

I'd actually like to read everything I happened to really enjoy twice, if I had enough time. The second time I tend to focus on and appreciate different aspects of the story better, like atmosphere and thematic elements, since the bit overwhelming desire to see what happens next in the plot is gone. Plus reading a story I already know I like is good stress-free and guaranteed enjoyment, something which is very important at times.

VNs I've read twice: Kara no Shoujo 2, Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning (actually thrice), Steins;Gate, Fate/stay night (Fate-route), SeaBed, Va-11 HALL-A.

I quite often read some routes twice while reading a VN. Usually I do that when I feel that I missed something important during my first read, of if I want to see how the information from the routes that I read later changes how I understand some events. A good example is Ever 17, where I decided to reread You's route after I finish all the other non true routes to confirm some of my theories about what was happening in the game. I also sometimes like to watch YouTube let's plays of VNs that I liked to see how different people react to the things, but I almost never get very far in them.

As for actually rereading VNs from the start to the finish, I never really did that. Technically, there is a ton of VNs I would like to reread one day, but there's always a lot of new stuff I'm interested in a lot more. Actually, I remember trying to reread Rewrite and Umineko once, but I'm both cases I had to stop due to some irl things, and I never got back to them.

5 hours ago, Turnip Sensei said:

I'd actually like to read everything I happened to really enjoy twice, if I had enough time. The second time I tend to focus on and appreciate different aspects of the story better, like atmosphere and thematic elements, since the bit overwhelming desire to see what happens next in the plot is gone. Plus reading a story I already know I like is good stress-free and guaranteed enjoyment, something which is very important at times.

VNs I've read twice: Kara no Shoujo 2, Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning (actually thrice), Steins;Gate, Fate/stay night (Fate-route), SeaBed, Va-11 HALL-A.

How did you find Steins;Gate on your reread? Did knowing what happened diminish the enjoyment any?

I'd kind of like to reread it but I'm afraid that doing so would lessen the memories and impact. 

I've read many VN more thance once. G-Senjou, Dies Irae, the grisaia trilogy, Da Capo II and III (if fan disks ever get TLed will have to read them once again), Hoshimemo, Konosora, Kara no shoujo 1 and 2. 

I always find new thins I wasn't aware of in the 2nd reading, specially in heroines which I dislike (Aoi in hoshismemo, or Kei in dies irae). 

I did read Muv Luv alternative twice, but it was because there was simply not many releases in english at the time (a lot less than now anyways).

But now i don't really see myself playing twice a vn since i'd rather pick something from my evergrowing backlog. I could make an exception some day for games like G-senjou no maou, baldr sky and the likes but even that will probably not happen.

As for reread, I'd rarely do that. But if reread Succubuss Soon a year later after the first read only to find out that the sex scenes were not interesting at the second read could count, then yeah I did that. For the info Succubuss Soon is my very first VN that I read, even though looking back it's just a standard bad nukige to me. For more serious VN that I reread, it was Kamidori mostly because I can find a new strategy in the new playthrough. Other than that, I can't recall what VN that I reread here, but if somehow we got Flyable Heart retranslated maybe I'll reread that.

Edited by littleshogun

if my heart had wings, majikoi, kamidori alchemy miester. probably others but yeah, ive done it. think i read nekopara twice. if its something i enjoy i do but rarely nowadays since i have limited amount of space and need to read others vns.

ignore the fact that im currently re-reading if my heart had wings with the new translation :rimu: 

I only re-read two routes in two VNs:

1). Anzu's route in Da Capo 2;

2). Ayamine's route in Muv-Luv Extra.

That just so happened. Also want to re-read someday Majikoi Miyako's route, cuz the first time it still was in japanese and i struggled with translators. Although, in that case i can name Tsujidou as well, cuz i did read Renna and Maki's routes in japanese 4 years ago.

That's all. Same with anime. I just think that it's better to read/watch something new, other than re-read/re-watch stuff.

4 hours ago, snowbell55 said:

How did you find Steins;Gate on your reread? Did knowing what happened diminish the enjoyment any?

I'd kind of like to reread it but I'm afraid that doing so would lessen the memories and impact. 

Steins;Gate felt pretty different rereading it. Not as amazing as when first read it, but I still really enjoyed it nonetheless. The plot twists and shocking moments didn't felt as impactful, of course, but some of the more emotional scenes still felt really effective, having better understanding of character motivations and such.
I also came to appreciate the first half of Steins;Gate more than before. People often complain it's boring and pointless, but I feel like it's really on point with humor and how it characterises everyone, something which went unnoticed and was overshadowed by the rest of the story the first time through. Conversely the latter half, especially the chapters focusing on the side-characters, felt almost pointless at times reading them again. 

I can’t count how many times I reread VNs. Usually when I do a LP for a Japan only game, I play through it initially and then record my 2nd (or 3rd/4th/5th run through). It gives me a heads up on what scenes I should skip when I take it to video processing.

I play a few of my favorite parts multiple times so maybe that counts as a reread as well.