[Solved] Trouble buying from Amazon Japan

tahu157

EDIT: The solution was to use a VPN. Classic.

So I'm trying to buy this song:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00ICOH8YC/ref=dm_ws_tlw_trk32

from Amazon Japan's MP3 store. Every time I try though I get this error message:

We were unable to process your purchase with your current payment information. Please enter a valid payment method and an address which are both local.

For some reason this issue only happens when I try to buy MP3s. The Kindle store works just fine. This is what I have tried so far:

- Paying by credit card with billing address set to a fake Japanese address

- Paying by credit card with billing address set to my real address

- Paying with a gift card while my credit card is still on file

- Paying with a gift card after removing my credit card from the site

My shipping address is a fake Japanese address in all of the above. I had to do that in order to browse the Kindle store on my actual Kindle. Has anyone else had this problem with the MP3 store specifically? Does anyone know what else I could try?

Edited by tahu157

I saw that too. When I first made the account I couldn't buy any Kindle books until I set my shipping address to a Japanese address. After I did that though, I was able to buy Kindle books even with my American credit card. Not sure why they're stricter with music but I guess I'll trying making a new account without adding any information.

Are you using a Japanese gift card? If you're using one from your region, it won't work. Using a Japanese gift card with no western credit cards registered works for me. (I also have an actual Japanese address; idk if maybe using a fake one could also cause issues?)

You can buy Japanese Amazon gift cards digitally online from different sites, though there is obviously a chance you'll get scammed, so don't go with anything that looks shady. I personally use Play-Asia for DMM, Amazon and Itunes gift cards when I need to get past the credit card restrictions on JP sites. It's possible that there are other sites offering better prices. I just use this because I've used it before and know I can trust it.

30 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Are you using a Japanese gift card? If you're using one from your region, it won't work. Using a Japanese gift card with no western credit cards registered works for me. (I also have an actual Japanese address; idk if maybe using a fake one could also cause issues?)

You can buy Japanese Amazon gift cards digitally online from different sites, though there is obviously a chance you'll get scammed, so don't go with anything that looks shady. I personally use Play-Asia for DMM, Amazon and Itunes gift cards when I need to get past the credit card restrictions on JP sites. It's possible that there are other sites offering better prices. I just use this because I've used it before and know I can trust it.

You know you can buy Amazon gift cards directly from amazon..?

7 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

For any region, though? I mean if you are currently not in Japan. (If you can choose the region, then I did not, lol.) 

It will add it directly to your account you bought it on

98bc3305e8525b57e113cc27b4753796.png

Can add any custom amount

6eba628864e80117dac690fc6b32e007.png

46 minutes ago, Kiriririri said:

It will add it directly to your account you bought it on

98bc3305e8525b57e113cc27b4753796.png

Can add any custom amount

6eba628864e80117dac690fc6b32e007.png

Hmm, and is that usable across regions? Idk if it maybe registers your account on one domain, and considers you from that region, so the balance won't work on others. Seeing as normal gift cards works like that, it's possbile. (If not, that's a super neat feature.) 

3 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Hmm, and is that usable across regions? Idk if it maybe registers your account on one domain, and considers you from that region, so the balance won't work on others. Seeing as normal gift cards works like that, it's possbile. (If not, that's a super neat feature.) 

I only use the Japanese Amazon so I have no idea but in general you don't even want to have your account on multiple regions because it fucks up with your Kindle library.

Just now, Kiriririri said:

I only use the Japanese Amazon so I have no idea but in general you don't even want to have your account on multiple regions because it fucks up with your Kindle library.

Hm true. If you can add money using a foreign credit card, then use the balance as if it was a JP gift card, that's quite the life hack by itself though (´・ω・)

That's what I did, I bought the gift card directly through Amazon. I also made the new account and sent it a ¥1000 giftcard without adding any information to that account, but still no luck. It still asks me to add payment info that is "local" even though it has ¥1000 to spend instead and the account's shipping address is in Japan. I hadn't considered the VPN idea though. I'll try that next.

My "fake japanese address" is a mcdonalds in hokaido or something. It's not actually fake, it's just not actually mine.

9 minutes ago, tahu157 said:

The VPN thing worked, even with my american credit card and billing address on file. It pulled from the giftcard too. The next experiment I want to try is seeing if it will let me just use my credit card while on VPN. Thanks all for your suggestions.

If the mp3 store works the same way as Kindle now with the first purchase done it won't check it anymore.