Sol Press just announced the Daresora series

bakauchuujin

Personally I will be wary of Visual Novel with volumes release. I am afraid that someday the writer or the company decide to abandoned the second and next part like Magical Eyes Red is for Anguish, Fault Milestone, etc. I know it's not fair to say that they abandoned it. But if they don't release it after a long time without reasonable information, I consider that the next part have been abandoned rather than have my hopes up and be disappointed.   

Edited by Acrylic7

Well to be honest I'm no quite favored episodic release here, but I would like to say congratulation to Sol Press in regard of Daresora release. And more importantly they managed to release this exactly at the date that they announced, so I hope that they'll keep up their good job like this in the future.

I finished the first Volume of DareSora, and it is a bit hard to judge, because on one hand it is pretty short (as to be expected at this price point) and on the other hand it likes to keep its cards close to it's chest and doesn't tell you a lot about what's going on. By the end you are left with a lot of questions, but since it's a mystery and I would like to know what's going on that's good.

The visuals and the voice acting are nice and I was honestly surprised to see a choice in this VN, although I would suspect that those don't have much long lasting impact on the story. Despite being a rather simple choice it was interesting in the context of story of DareSora. But getting the last few achievements was a bit confusing because it's not really clear what you have to do for it.

Overall it was a good offering for the price and I think you can't really go wrong at this price, but it's clear that this is only the first volume and there is no conclusion so all the critics considering episodic releases still apply. I would never the less like to see this continue.

Edited by Formlose Gestalt

4 hours ago, adamstan said:

W-w-w-w-what??

So, is it actually more like a prologue or teaser? Or do the creators plan to have 10+ "episodes" as short as this?

It's meant to be like a manga series or something similar. A series of bite-sized inexpensive releases telling a story over time.

It might be a smart move from the writer though, because it mean that the writer could develop the story step by step instead all at once. Although as the costumer, this moves is obviously quite questionable and even more if it's true that the content was only one hour, so obviously it wouldn't enough time to develop both of the characters and the world building. In the end, what we can do is that we'll be waiting for Chapter 2 and hopefully it'll be in near future.

6 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

It might be a smart move from the writer though, because it mean that the writer could develop the story step by step instead all at once.

The main problem with the writing of the episodic stories is that if even the author doesn't know exactly how the story is going to finish, then it's almost definitely lead to major plot holes at some point when the story suddenly starts to go in a wrong direction.

I see. So perhaps it might be bad to both parties here and maybe episodic release wouldn't be ideal here, because even with the guideline the author might going to the wrong direction there. That said, I'm sure that at least the author did their best to minimize the plot hole between the VNs that was written as the serial. Although seeing that Daresora here is written like a manga, then yeah perhaps the chance that plot hole happened is going to be bigger.

On 9/15/2018 at 2:38 AM, Fred the Barber said:

It's also short and weird.

Well, it was definitely short, and it was definitely weird. :michiru:

Tbh, I feel like it's way to early to give even initial impression about this. So far it's somewhat intriguing, but if the later volumes are going to be as short as this one, then I will probably wait before a few next volumes come out before I continue reading.

Edited by Dreamysyu