Sol Press just announced the Daresora series

bakauchuujin

Just now, adamstan said:

I'm starting to hate that new marketinig trend, when there are teasers to teasers to teasers. It isn't limited to games, BTW...

It is, however, relatively important. Especially to these small companies in a niche environment. They need to generate whatever excitement they can, and announcements of announcements are important to keep your fans excited and following you.
For the most part, though, these 'teasers' are for fans that are looking forward to more stuff from a company, not to fans of the genre at large. Those only care about the actual announcements on releases.

Just now, adamstan said:

SolPress - release Yotsunoha and Sakura Sakura first :P Some people are waiting for them, you know...

Sakura Sakura I understand, but Yotsunoha doesn't warrant being released yet, does it? When was it announced?

At any rate, they just released a game, making it the perfect time to announce another.

yotsunoha should probably be coming out in the no so distant future, but sakura... like i´m fully aware the game´s now basically done, doddlers assistance in upscale shenanigans etc, but - the fact solpress hasn´t really made any move of them selling their titles anywhere else than steam does no mean any good. newrin´s approval seemingly took ages and i doubt it´s going to be any better with sakura or whatever title the is

Well that was faster than expected.

They just annouced:

Daresora

I honestly never heard of this VN before, but it isn't released yet so no suprise there.

But it looks promising from my perspective.

Edit:

Here is their tweet:

And the steam store page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/913450/DareSora_Tears_for_an_Unknown_Sky/

Multipart VN has me a little skeptical. Can anybody say something about those different japanese releases? All Age this month and 18+ in october?

Edited by Formlose Gestalt

2 hours ago, SaintOfVoid said:

yotsunoha should probably be coming out in the no so distant future, but sakura... like i´m fully aware the game´s now basically done, doddlers assistance in upscale shenanigans etc, but - the fact solpress hasn´t really made any move of them selling their titles anywhere else than steam does no mean any good. newrin´s approval seemingly took ages and i doubt it´s going to be any better with sakura or whatever title the is

For Sakura Sakura, the upscaling, translation, and editing is done. It still needs to get through QA though. Yotsunoha is also being QA'ed right now as well.

We definitely want to release the titles as soon as possible (like you said, they do us no good not being on a store), but we want to make sure they get proper QA.

1 hour ago, Formlose Gestalt said:

Multipart VN has me a little skeptical. Can anybody say something about those different japanese releases? All Age this month and 18+ in october?

From my understanding, the 18+ release is essentially a continuation of the all-ages volume 1, but it will include 18+ content (you can think of it almost like volume 1 chapter 1, and volume 1 chapter 2). The all-ages version would still be needed to follow the story.

1 hour ago, Formlose Gestalt said:

Well it is the same scenario writer as ChronoBox.

Sakuraba Maruo

So there is that. (Altough it seems he has mainly written nukige before ChronoBox.)

That's why I said they should have aimed for ChronoBox. That's a license to kill for. Then again, I am guessing it was easier to get Anagram than HobiBox. So yeah...

Edited by Infernoplex

18 minutes ago, Xeviax said:

For Sakura Sakura, the upscaling, translation, and editing is done. It still needs to get through QA though. Yotsunoha is also being QA'ed right now as well.

We definitely want to release the titles as soon as possible (like you said, they do us no good not being on a store), but we want to make sure they get proper QA.

From my understanding, the 18+ release is essentially a continuation of the all-ages volume 1, but it will include 18+ content (you can think of it almost like volume 1 chapter 1, and volume 1 chapter 2). The all-ages version would still be needed to follow the story.

my mainpoint still being, and especially since ur a rather small-ish company, to at least think about releasing titles at other places (creating an own storefront, gog, fakku etc), given how long it took steam to give u a thumbs up coming to newrin. & even if steam´s the biggest one out there, calling the most users their own, having sold some copies anywhere else until they might give approval is definitely better than none.

btw personally i don´t really mind them episodic stories, as long as they keep releasing in a somewhat timely manner (absolutely no much longer than 6months between) & don´t feel any dragged out for the sake of dragging out storywise.

Edited by SaintOfVoid

1 minute ago, SaintOfVoid said:

my mainpoint still being, and especially since ur a rather small-ish company, to at least think about releasing titles at other places (creating an own storefront, gog, fakku etc), given how long it took steam to give u a thumbs up coming to newrin. & even if steam´s the biggest one out there, calling the most users their own, having sold some copies anywhere else until they might give approval is definitely better than none.

Listing on other distributors before Steam would severely impact sales and overall placement on Steam. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if doing that actually turned a title into a loss.

We're definitely working on distributing on other platforms, but we don't plan on releasing titles on other platforms first.

1 hour ago, KanadeTachibana said:

Do you think it will be from a new partner? I hope so. I doubt it would happen, but it would nice if they announced Hatsuyuki Sakura or Aqua. 

9 minutes ago, Freestyle80 said:

I hope its a less obscure title this time lol

You guys should read the whole thread. The announcement has been made already. :P

1 hour ago, Hetzer123 said:

This is the first time I heard of that. Most of the publisher said about Steam has bigger sales rather than releasing it on non-steam first will affect overall sales. I assume publishers just don't care, don't know or it is difficult to negotiate with other storefront. At least Newrin is not stuck in steam approval limbo unlike Starnova.

The release date of English Daresora seems early. I know few VNs with near simultaneous release.

So, the more sales that occur on Steam, the more visible your game is on their storefront. Sol Press is operating under the principle that the best way to maximize sales is to get as many people to buy the game on Steam as possible, thus enhancing its visibility on the storefront and making it more likely that other people will notice the game and buy it. There are a lot of people who are willing to buy games wherever they are, and if you release first outside of Steam, the hardcore fans will buy it outside of steam, and then you end up with fewer steam reviews, fewer community hub contributions and forum posts, and lower sales chart performance (and also will make it less likely that valve is willing to spotlight your game in special events and such, though that's always a crapshoot anyway). So, shepherding people to Steam first and foremost and then exploring other platforms later is a valid business strategy.

Edited by Decay

6 hours ago, Xeviax said:

Listing on other distributors before Steam would severely impact sales and overall placement on Steam. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if doing that actually turned a title into a loss.

We're definitely working on distributing on other platforms, but we don't plan on releasing titles on other platforms first.

While I get that you don't want to release your games outside steam FIRST, know that you are losing sales by not doing so at all. (I haven't bought Newton, as I simply don't want to buy VNs on steam.) It will be the same for this new game, too. I hope that you do start putting your games on other platforms soon. Until then, I'll be skipping them, at least, and I know others that will too. 

If you look at any other VN publisher in the west, you'll see that they pretty much always release the standalone 18+ ver. and the Steam ver. at the same time. 

That Daresora thing doesn't look to appealing to me with its fantasy setting, but well - it may be good. And maybe my attitude towards the genre will change after reading F/SN which sits on a backlog ;)

I'm glad that Yotsunoha is progressing :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Hetzer123 said:

It might be hardcore fans prefer standalone adult content without patching method or hate the steam client (Installing Steam to download games is necessary while Gog galaxy is optional). It is not a big problem because Sol Press didn't license games which the adult content is too hard to separate (MG avoid release MML or Hapymaher on steam while Frontwing place most of the content of Subahibi outside steam by patch).

If I understand correctly, it is important that hardcore fans buy at Steam as well (and probably, if the game isn't available anywhere else, they will, even with clenched teeth ;) ) to generate neccessary initial "traffic", so the game is higher on the storefront, and attracts some casual readers/players. If hardcore fans buy game elsewhere first, it will have less exposition on Steam (?), so that indeed could lead to smaller overall sales.

Edited by adamstan

12 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

That's why I said they should have aimed for ChronoBox. That's a license to kill for. Then again, I am guessing it was easier to get Anagram than HobiBox. So yeah...

Ah Ok I didn't catch that. And I agree that I would like to see ChronoBox translated.

12 hours ago, Xeviax said:

Are you planning to translate/release the 18+ content too?

And since I am here, do you know how many parts are planned for this VN?

DareSora looks interesting, but one think I greatly value about VN is that they are usually released rather complete. (Sure there are exceptions but in general most can stand on their own.) My experience with ongoing series is that I lose interest at some point and then either ready to whole thing again once its finishes or just never pick it up again. From the Japanese price tag of 500 Yen I guess that the length is rather short, so I give it a try but I would prefer a non-episodic release.

This all sounds pretty critical, but I think you found a interesting title, so good job there.

17 hours ago, adamstan said:

fantasy setting

?? When I hear "fantasy setting", I think of sword and horse and wizard robes and shit, which is definitely not DareSora. Though admittedly, I'm not sure what to call it other than "mystery".

Also, I edited volume 1 :D

Edit: Oh god, bad typo.

Edited by Fred the Barber

As for this one, I think the writer could do put more effort to write less disturbing sex scenes compared to Chronobox to focusing on more non sexual content. Because after all, Steam was only concerned on sexual content censorship and probably less care to other form of violence. Anyway, looks like it'll be interesting if you're Chronobox fan. But seeing that it's serial, I think it'll be better if I just wait and see until the final part. At least the waiting time for the release shouldn't be too long, if Solpress didn't delay it again that is - hopefully they'd already knew how to make the estimation time for the release by looking into the work first.

Edited by littleshogun

3 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I think of sword and horse and wizard robes and shit, which is definitely not DareSora.

"Magic school" and cover artwork gave me that vibe - in other words, it looks like it isn't happening in "our" modern world. But of course I can be completely wrong, as one picture and some tags may be misleading.

Probably will check it out nevertheless. After all, many VNs I enjoyed had some supernatural elements present.

Edited by adamstan

2 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Well, fair. I've read my share of the Dresden Files. But DareSora definitely isn't that, either.

Edit: Also, it's not a magic school. Honestly, it's hard to describe without going into spoiler territory, sorry...

Edited by Fred the Barber