Nekonyan's Two August Announcements

littleshogun

59 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

NekoNyanSoft are relatively new. They translated and released Fureraba back in March. Their next release will be Sanoba Witch this October. They do translate and sell VNs and they're handled by some native staff, though a lot of them are actually based in Europe. None of the machine translation nonsense, but they haven't put out many titles themselves to judge by. Only Fureraba thus far.

At any rate, they have seven projects thus far, and a lot of them are popular stuff.

That's interesting.

So I was right about them being new to the scene. It's too bad that  I would have never heard of them unless someone posted here in the forums.

It also sounds like they don't use machine translation for their work so that's a good thing too but I'd rather wait for someone to make a review on it anyways.

Thanks for the info!

53 minutes ago, jetpack003 said:

It also sounds like they don't use machine translation for their work so that's a good thing too but I'd rather wait for someone to make a review on it anyways.

Well, IMHO Fureraba's TL was rather good. Editing would benefit from some more QC, as there were some typos and misspellings (like "other <> over" ;) ), and of course the style is matter of taste, but it reads smoothly.

Some of Nekonyan translators were well known translator, so you didn't need to worry about machine translation here. Although I'm quite worry though with a lot of job for them there, but perhaps they may find a way to solve that.

As for me, both of those were quite well known even when untranslated and a lot of request were given to the company. So it's nice to see that finally we got those two to be translated, especially in regard of Aokana in which it's been cursed even since Ren's outburst after he 'accidentally' delete the scripts (More like half a year after that though). Too bad though that Sekai didn't get Aokana, because I still think that Astro was the one who deserved to localized his friend's hard work lol, but it's not like I'll have the problem with whoever will translate this in the first place though. For the last word here, good luck to the team and hopefully the work will going well.

4 hours ago, adamstan said:

Well, IMHO Fureraba's TL was rather good. Editing would benefit from some more QC, as there were some typos and misspellings (like "other <> over" ;) ), and of course the style is matter of taste, but it reads smoothly.

IMHO fureraba´s tl turned out exactly as it should´ve been like when compared to its jp-pendant. typos & whatsnot aside, the style very much had to be that way. heck if someone can´t live with youth slang, excessive swearing & encountering lots of "fucks", reading galge that´s 99% nothing but pubertarian escapades should be avoided in the first place. if anything their choice of wording did seem quite authentic said way, totally like i would´ve expected them to speak, whilst no feeling pretentious. heck if the language used had been more tame, or lets say family-friendly, fureraba´s experience would´ve ended up ruined, simple as that. heck fureraba is no kafka enlighting mankind, but a dude trying to get his first fuck. jesus

Edited by SaintOfVoid

Yep. I like Fureraba's translation because I can just hear my younger sister's friends talking exactly like the teens in Fureraba. Not quite as ridiculous, but otherwise very similar to the typical choice of words and swearing every three that I am used to. I can't comment too much because I'm not a native, but I have little doubt that English-speaking high-schoolers speak like that to a greater extent than the mostly Japanese filtered manner in which such dialogue is usually translated.

10 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

If they can keep the quality high, they're on the right path to becoming everyone's second favourite VN localizer, just after MG. :3

Actually, for some they already are, if you look at the discussions, especially after MG's "big shift" away from the galge market in recent years.

It's probably too soon to say this but I'm also surprised that I feel like they are quickly becoming one of the best contenders on the market. Tight release schedule, actual release windows with which they seem to follow through, good announcements. I wasn't terribly excited about the first batch but Hello Lady and AoKana are as top-tier as it gets, save for something like FSN, KKK or SnU. Plus NekoNyan, despite the excessively silly name, seem like literally the only eroge localization company to plan things through. Hopefully they can keep it up, sell well and deliver. 

13 hours ago, Freestyle80 said:

So it is Aokana, this VN is pretty hyped up, is it really that good? Never liked these 'sports' type ones tbh (esp the anime was horrible but thats not a good judge :leecher:)

The anime was not horrible, not at all.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

56 minutes ago, novurdim said:

Actually, for some they already are, if you look at the discussions, especially after MG's "big shift" away from the galge market in recent years.

It's probably too soon to say this but I'm also surprised that I feel like they are quickly becoming one of the best contenders on the market. Tight release schedule, actual release windows with which they seem to follow through, good announcements. I wasn't terribly excited about the first batch but Hello Lady and AoKana are as top-tier as it gets, save for something like FSN, KKK or SnU. Plus NekoNyan, despite the excessively silly name, seem like literally the only eroge localization company to plan things through. Hopefully they can keep it up, sell well and deliver. 

Just a bit confused here so I'm not following where you're coming from. What about Mangagamer would make them seem like they don't plan things through?

I agree with your other comments and for me they've become my second favorite localizer behind Mangagamer. I really like the no-fuss approach they've taken to, as well as the committment to 18+ Steam patches. That and their announcements are more often than not for stuff that fits my tastes. 

10 minutes ago, snowbell55 said:

I really like the no-fuss approach they've taken to, as well as the committment to 18+ Steam patches.

personally i really like their commitment to no kickstarting their way to stability. don´t think their core-employees are natural born billionairs by default, nevertheless they won´t shove financial risks onto their customers from the get go. dunno about taking loans, selling their mom´s suv, or whatsnot, as for i don´t really care. every kind of buiseness faces some sorts of risks, but so far them staying true to their very first blog-post feels pleasantly refreshing.

Edited by SaintOfVoid

2 hours ago, snowbell55 said:

Just a bit confused here so I'm not following where you're coming from. What about Mangagamer would make them seem like they don't plan things through?

They have no timeline for anything whatsoever which often make their release pace messy and unpredictable. They give the longest games to the slowest translator who is way too busy with organizational issues, they completely separate in turns translation, tech work and QA so there's a huge bottleneck and noone has any idea when anything is going to release even when the translation and editing are finished ages ago etc. They are not nearly as bad as JAST and Sekai in that regard, but MG often suffers from organizational issues all the same, we are just used to it by now and take it for granted.

6 hours ago, novurdim said:

They have no timeline for anything whatsoever which often make their release pace messy and unpredictable. They give the longest games to the slowest translator who is way too busy with organizational issues, they completely separate in turns translation, tech work and QA so there's a huge bottleneck and noone has any idea when anything is going to release even when the translation and editing are finished ages ago etc. They are not nearly as bad as JAST and Sekai in that regard, but MG often suffers from organizational issues all the same, we are just used to it by now and take it for granted.

Just because MangaGamer doesn't announce release estimates right away like Nekonyan does, it doesn't mean they don't have an internal schedule. And just because a game takes a while to go from announcement to release, it doesn't mean that it's fallen behind schedule. You're making a lot of assumptions that you can't back up.

2 hours ago, Decay said:

Just because MangaGamer doesn't announce release estimates right away like Nekonyan does, it doesn't mean they don't have an internal schedule. And just because a game takes a while to go from announcement to release, it doesn't mean that it's fallen behind schedule. You're making a lot of assumptions that you can't back up.

I believe some people want MG to be more open on schedules and have better communication with community. Overall for me MG is Top Tier publisher (Sekai and Jast cannot even come close). wished they announced better stuff this summer (for me it was mehh)

11 hours ago, Decay said:

MangaGamer clearly does have a schedule.  They release one game a month almost all the time, which can only be possible if they've got a schedule.  They don't announce that schedule publically, but that doesn't mean they don't have one at all.

Indeed. The main differences between NekoNyan and MangaGamer are two:

NekoNyan is public about everything they're doing. Up until now, from the moment they announced a title we've always known what they were doing with it and what stage it is at. MangaGamer does have schedules, but we often don't know what they're doing. Once a title disappears from their sporadic project updates on twitter, lord knows what happens to them. Maybe they're stuck in tech work, maybe they're stuck in licensing stuff, we don't know. We might hear stuff from some of their freelancers, but otherwise...
But MangaGamer does keep to a schedule and steady releases. It's just that this schedule involves holding onto stuff that's already finished and ready to release just to space out releases, something NekoNyan has avoided doing (mostly due to their relatively small size and how there's been thus far little overlap in the time they finish projects, meaning they haven't finished projects around the same time yet).

The other difference is their age. I'm very happy people are positive about NekoNyan, but there is frankly very little to judge them by as of yet. How will they react if suddenly something goes wrong with engine work? Or if the Japanese developers change their mind about something near release? Or if mishaps occur due to performing translation, editing, and QA simultaneously (Fureraba was effectively riddled with typos, even if I loved the overall translation work).
They way MangaGamer reacts to this kind of thing tends to be simple: Radio silence, but let's release something else from our backlog instead. They're sitting on top of some finished products and spacing them out in such a way that they can switch their schedule on the fly without having to announce particular delays. Consider ChuuableSoft's games: SukiSuki disappeared from their sporadic updates after TL and Editing was finished, as happens to most of their titles, but then we knew nothing about it for months. In the meantime, ChuuableSoft itself declared bankruptcy (or something similar?)! However, since MangaGamer doesn't announce anything about their projects until about a month before release, it's as if nothing happened. SukiSuki was simply one more of the titles they are piling up on their backlog and biding their time to release.

Pretty much I'm agree with what Mr Poltroon said, and to add more Mangagamer here was also have some nukige in their library. Seeing that general people were still prejudiced about VNs, it's a good move that Mangagamer release nukige in order to help the company, which in turn help the company in the long run. They also have the hardcopy as well, so at least we can gauge which title they'd have successes with looking from the hardcopy releases. While for Nekonyan, I would say that they pretty much still new so we still couldn't say whether they'll successful or not. That said, I hope that they'll learn more in regard of running the company and possibly take a page or two from Mangagamer if they want to release physical release.

As for my ranking in regard of official localization companies at this year, I think Mangagamer still winning with the releases, followed by Nekonyan, Frontwing, Sekai, and finally JAST. While for the announcements, Nekonyan definitely win this with Mangagamer in the second, Sekai in the third, JAST in the fourth, and finally Frontwing in the last place. Of course there's still some month left, so my preference may change.

Edited by littleshogun

On 01/09/2018 at 6:48 AM, Mr Poltroon said:

Yep. I like Fureraba's translation because I can just hear my younger sister's friends talking exactly like the teens in Fureraba. Not quite as ridiculous, but otherwise very similar to the typical choice of words and swearing every three that I am used to. I can't comment too much because I'm not a native, but I have little doubt that English-speaking high-schoolers speak like that to a greater extent than the mostly Japanese filtered manner in which such dialogue is usually translated.

I just got this game. First thoughts ... I'm really digging this. It's a really flowing, light read and they've done a great job with the translation. It makes me think Nekonyan will be right up my alley.

On 9/2/2018 at 7:51 AM, littleshogun said:

Pretty much I'm agree with what Mr Poltroon said, and to add more Mangagamer here was also have some nukige in their library. Seeing that general people were still prejudiced about VNs, it's a good move that Mangagamer release nukige in order to help the company, which in turn help the company in the long run. They also have the hardcopy as well, so at least we can gauge which title they'd have successes with looking from the hardcopy releases. While for Nekonyan, I would say that they pretty much still new so we still couldn't say whether they'll successful or not. That said, I hope that they'll learn more in regard of running the company and possibly take a page or two from Mangagamer if they want to release physical release.

As for my ranking in regard of official localization companies at this year, I think Mangagamer still winning with the releases, followed by Nekonyan, Frontwing, Sekai, and finally JAST. While for the announcements, Nekonyan definitely win this with Mangagamer in the second, Sekai in the third, JAST in the fourth, and finally Frontwing in the last place. Of course there's still some month left, so my preference may change.

While i agree with you in regards to announcements., I think its still too early to rate Nekonyan  on basis of official localisation.  They have released only one VN so far..and are fairly new.. In that regards just like NN, SolPress has also localized Newrin.. and the localisation is not that bad..

If i were to rate on localisation i would go for Mangagamer followed by Frontwing and Sekai....  Island, Phantom Trigger, Maitetsu are all big releases.. I would wait for a few more releases from Nekonyam in order to judge them..The Hype they are generating is all because of the popular titles that they are announcing.. and not because of their localisation per se..

On 01.09.2018 at 10:02 AM, Decay said:

Heh, would definitely love to see those for games like Bokuten or Maggot Baits. Assinging Kouryuu to translate something should be considered a crime by now. Either way, with MG it's impossible to know anything for sure so any other suggestions would be just as big of an assumption as mine.

I have an inkling they only have a schedule for the more or less ready releases so they can set the aforementioned 1-big-game-a-month release pace and everything else is basically "when it's done". It's not that hard to simply stall a few finished games for that if needed. Not to mention that things like "internal-only schedules" scream of endless delays and lack of decent planning by default, they don't exist because life is good and aren't really widespread outside western vn-publishers.