Searching for a VN like Edelweiss

M1rv3

Like the Title says. I really liked Edelweiss and the story behind it. A mix of Comedy, Magic/Alchemy and Romance was pretty good and I havent found anything similar to it yet. I mostly read SoL and Romance VNs but would like to read something like Edelweiss again.

So does anyone know something similar to it ? I read the Fandisc too, so that doesnt count ^^

Yeah Ive heard about Sorcery Jokers, maybe I give it a try. 

I do have a VNDB Account actually, I just didnt know you could link it here. 

What I also should mention, I really liked the male supporting cast in Edelweiss, they were funny and a good addition to the overall story. In most other VNs Ive read, there werent any males at all or they were the antagonists. How is Sorcery Jokers in that regard ?

1 minute ago, M1rv3 said:

Yeah Ive heard about Sorcery Jokers, maybe I give it a try. 

I do have a VNDB Account actually, I just didnt know you could link it here. 

What I also should mention, I really liked the male supporting cast in Edelweiss, they were funny and a good addition to the overall story. In most other VNs Ive read, there werent any males at all or they were the antagonists. How is Sorcery Jokers in that regard ?

I don't believe Sorcery Jokers really offers a similar experience to Edelweiss' at any level besides there being a mystery.
It doesn't really have a male supporting cast, it doesn't have dedicated routes, and the romance is... well, it's present, I guess.

I'll recommend Majikoi for having the same sort of large fun cast Edelweiss had, and being a Comedy Romance mix. Instead of Magic/Alchemy, it's Martial Arts, though.

Little Busters! also fulfils the awesome male supporting cast request, and offers Comedy aplenty. The Romance is there, but the focus of Little Busters!'s routes is being emotional and making you cry, either of happiness, unhappiness, or bittersweetness. Instead of Magic/Alchemy it's... craziness, I guess.

D.C. ~Da Capo II~ actually kind of fulfils the requirements to the letter... I see you tried the third one, but in the series, I'd say the second one is best. It has the male supporting cast, the great comedy, and the magical elements hinted all throughout. I found it funnier, and also preferred the characters in it, or at least their interactions better. The first one is shorter, crazier, and lacks context or sense, at times.

These ones diverge a bit further from your recommendations, but I'll mention Lucid9 which is similar to Sorcery Jokers in some ways, and The Devil on the G-String.

52 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I don't believe Sorcery Jokers really offers a similar experience to Edelweiss' at any level besides there being a mystery.
It doesn't really have a male supporting cast, it doesn't have dedicated routes, and the romance is... well, it's present, I guess.

I'll recommend Majikoi for having the same sort of large fun cast Edelweiss had, and being a Comedy Romance mix. Instead of Magic/Alchemy, it's Martial Arts, though.

Little Busters! also fulfils the awesome male supporting cast request, and offers Comedy aplenty. The Romance is there, but the focus of Little Busters!'s routes is being emotional and making you cry, either of happiness, unhappiness, or bittersweetness. Instead of Magic/Alchemy it's... craziness, I guess.

D.C. ~Da Capo II~ actually kind of fulfils the requirements to the letter... I see you tried the third one, but in the series, I'd say the second one is best. It has the male supporting cast, the great comedy, and the magical elements hinted all throughout. I found it funnier, and also preferred the characters in it, or at least their interactions better. The first one is shorter, crazier, and lacks context or sense, at times.

These ones diverge a bit further from your recommendations, but I'll mention Lucid9 which is similar to Sorcery Jokers in some ways, and The Devil on the G-String.

Majikoi seems pretty interesting, but according to vndb it has only a english patch, is it good ?

I know Little Busters a little while now but never followed it really

I started to play DC III, but stalled it to watch the anime to get some background story. I finished the first (wich was VERY Dull), started the second and never came back to the series since the first one disappointed me a little.

Lucid9 seems pretty good too, I will certainly look into it. The Devil on the G-String has only a patch aswell, is it also good ?
I really dont like censored/cut contend.

Anyway thank you for your effort.

Just now, M1rv3 said:

Majikoi seems pretty interesting, but according to vndb it has only a english patch, is it good ?

I know Little Busters a little while now but never followed it really

I started to play DC III, but stalled it to watch the anime to get some background story. I finished the first (wich was VERY Dull), started the second and never came back to the series since the first one disappointed me a little.

Lucid9 seems pretty good too, I will certainly look into it. The Devil on the G-String has only a patch aswell, is it also good ?
I really dont like censored/cut contend.

Anyway thank you for your effort.

Majikoi is going to be officially released... eventually. JAST has picked it up but I have no idea when they'll release it.
Out right now is an English patch which you can apply to the Japanese version of the game. The translation for the majority of it is... fine, but not good. A couple of routes were translated by a different individual, however, and those are much better. Miyako and the true route were translated by him, at least. No cut content as everything is translated.

The Devil on G-String is available on Steam as it has been officially localised. Howeve, the sex scenes were cut out (and some images cropped due to the aspect ratio?). Supposedly the 18+ version will be coming out some time in the future, but I haven't heard anything about that for quite a while.

8 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

A couple of routes were translated by a different individual, however, and those are much better.

So that's why there are some inconsistencies with nomenclature?

Spoiler

I needed a while to grasp that "Goblin's Banquet" and "Mouri Gathering" were the same "event" ;)

Just now, adamstan said:

So that's why there are some inconsistencies with nomenclature?

Hide contents

I needed a while to grasp that "Goblin's Banquet" and "Mouri Gathering" were the same "event" ;)

Indeed.

Spoiler

Also, I think Gakuto refers to himself differently and the Kuki's start to use the Royal We.
Probably some more differences about.

None of the other games in the Majikoi series suffer from inconsistencies though. They were all done by the same team.

55 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Majikoi is going to be officially released... eventually. JAST has picked it up but I have no idea when they'll release it.
Out right now is an English patch which you can apply to the Japanese version of the game. The translation for the majority of it is... fine, but not good. A couple of routes were translated by a different individual, however, and those are much better. Miyako and the true route were translated by him, at least. No cut content as everything is translated.

The Devil on G-String is available on Steam as it has been officially localised. Howeve, the sex scenes were cut out (and some images cropped due to the aspect ratio?). Supposedly the 18+ version will be coming out some time in the future, but I haven't heard anything about that for quite a while.

Thats to bad. So Ive to wait a while for those games.

Any other suggestions ? They dont have to have a good male cast, I just wanted to add it if anyone knew some good ones. I look for a VN that makes me laugh, has a decent story and romance. I wouldnt mind any H-Scenes, or high Resolution since I cant play low res games on my 4k monitor in fullscreen (If I dont want eye cancer)

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

None of the other games in the Majikoi series suffer from inconsistencies though. They were all done by the same team.

Not quite. Majikoi S was half Wairu, half Maji Translations. And one of Majikoi A-1's routes was Wairu.

41 minutes ago, Decay said:

Not quite. Majikoi S was half Wairu, half Maji Translations. And one of Majikoi A-1's routes was Wairu.

But they retranslated for those. They didn't retranslate for the original.

Edit: Looking into it, they might have just re-edited those at most. I am no longer sure either way, so you may be correct.

Edited by Mr Poltroon

• 5 months later...

So, Im using this thread again instead of opening a new one, since the topic is practically the same ^^

Why ? Becuase, after reading some other VNs I finally found out what I REALLY wanted to read again, the one thing that I really liked about Edelweiss:

On the one Hand you have this funny group of friends, witch comedic relief everywhere - I want to laugh when I read a VN

Then you have this mystery surrounding the island and the magic there - I want exciting VN that makes me curious about the world

On the other Hand I want to be engaged with the characteres, I want the empathize with them, in short, I want to cry when they are miserable.

I know this is kind of vague but I havent read I VN that I liked as much as Edelsweiss, it was only my second one ever but still I was never as sad as back then when I finally finished a VN.

So to summerize, I want to laugh, to cry and to be curious. I hope you guys can help me out ^^

What came very close was Clannad but I only watched the anime version, so I dont count that ^^

Edited by M1rv3