What do you do to motive yourself to continue reading

M1rv3

Im struggling right now to continue reading Deardrops. The problem is, I dont know quite why. I cant motivate myself somehow to go on. I stalled it over the summer and now Ive problems catching up with the story. Someway I want to go on and finish atleast one route (Im about half of the common route I think) but on the other hand I cant quite tell if I like it or not.

I simply cant decide to go on or start another vn instead. So I wanted to ask you guys, what do you do in such situations ? How do you motive yourself to go trough a dull phase of the story?

You're burned-out, guaranteed as I had been through it before.

I think you need to stop for a short while and play or read other types of media. For me, what I did was did other things for fun / for the sake of it (<--still fondly the shitstorm which i had caused :sachi:), play VN-hybrids such as Sengoku Rance, or straight out play other games.

Stop reading VNs for now, do / read / play other things, and come back later on. This should do the trick :) 

I mean I stopped playing Deardrops because the combination of a annoying, pretentious, boring, pisswanker protagonist and a girl who refers to herself in the third person was too much for me.

I think a lot of times you have to think of it like it is a mountain you have to climb. Think of it like it is your little Mount Everest, except that if you fail you don't have to worry about how they'll be able to drag down your frozen corpse from off the mountain. 

12 hours ago, M1rv3 said:

So I wanted to ask you guys, what do you do in such situations ? How do you motive yourself to go trough a dull phase of the story?

If the dull phase goes on long enough that I no longer want to continue reading, I drop it and pick up something else. Life's too short to read genre fiction (stories meant to entertain) out of some weird obligation, or vague promise that it might get better well into the future.

You don't need motivation to read, you're supposed to enjoy it. If you have to force yourself to continue, then just drop it.

For example, I waited years for Clover Day's TL, but in the end, once I decided to read it in Japanese I dropped it after one route because I found it just meh. I don't have to force myself to read everything because I waited years and many people praise it. If I can't enjoy myself I'd rather read something else.

On the other end, reading Baldr Sky Dive (2) right now, around 80+ hours in and I'm still enjoying the hell out of it, so I can read non-stop.

To finish, yeah you might miss something by dropping it because perhaps you'd come to like it later after struggling a little, but if you're reading something else you enjoy instead, the end result is the same. You read to have a great time, it's not a duty, so as long as you're enjoying yourself it doesn't matter what you read.

Edited by Riku

Yeah, youre all probably right, I should drop it for now. Problem is, I dont know what to read next, since Ive got a decent selection to chose from (I tend to buy a new vn before Ive finished the current ones ^^)

As for the vn beeing my main hobby. It isnt really, I enjoy playing regular video games and watching anime more than reading VNs sometimes. Since english isnt my first language I get tired pretty fast reading, so I take a while to finish a VN. As for now, I think Ive only finished 2 VNs total (with all routes), that was Edelweiss and Kindred spirits on the roof. Some I didnt bother going to routes for girls I didnt liked or some I just finished the true ending.

But yeah, I think Im going to drop Deardrops since the Genre isnt really mine and I cant enjoy it that much, since it has a pretty low res. and Ive a 4k monitor wich can be pretty anoying sometimes.

Thanks for the help anyway ^^ 

But hey, heres another question, what should I read next:

- Fruit of Grisia 
- Dal Sagno
- Da Capo 3 ( Ive started it a long time ago, watched the animes for 1 and 2, which were terreble tbh, and never came back)
- Fureraba

I've only read The Fruit of Grisaia out of the list. It's my favorite and it has a long, funny common route. You might get bored of it if the humor doesn't stick with you. One of the heroines speaks in slang/vulgar speech too.

All of the VNs in the list are at either 1024x576 or 1280x720 resoultion.

26 minutes ago, Veshurik said:

That feeling when you can't read one VN, and start to read another for rest.

Then another... and another...

Every month - new VNs... You don't know what to pick up. You don't have a time absolutely.

Eroge market is shrink... Too many titles, not enough time and money. Sigh...

I do this and start reading 3, 4 at once. This might be a bad thing.

But I have infinite time and do nothing but read all day so I like to think that I can handle the responsibility of juggling that many waifus.

I'm being talked into starting up Rance as a nice mix genre distraction. Almost through Evenicle which is totally awesome and fills that niche as well, I think.

I just do other things :D I was reading Tsujido and Primal x Hearts a few weeks ago but got in the mood to play skyrim and now I don't read anything. There is no point in forcing it, if I'm clearly not in the mood to read. I bet I will soon start reading again. If nothing else, at least Primal x Hearts since I use that to study japanese.

I just dont read it, in Deardrops I never did the one that was considered the 'true' route, never liked the heroine and never enjoyed the story all too much either

oh and in special cases like Koi to Senkyo no Chocolate where you gotta do the bitch route for some reason, i put on skip played some music and browsed the net til it was gone, fck that I aint reading that shit. Read all the other routes though ;D

but in the end VNs for me are like..less than secondary form of entertainment, i'm primarily a gamer so i just go back to playing those games till I feel like finishing it (if ever, there are some i never go back to...like recently Magical Marriage Lunatics lol) 

Edited by Freestyle80

The most general solution here would be take a rest for a while before continue the read through. The resting time there could vary though (Can be indefinite), so just rest and wait until you want to play the VN again. As for what next VN that you should read, I guess Fureraba would be quite fitting seeing that it's quite felt shorter compared to the others, or so that's what I felt in regard of that.

I certainly can understand the feeling. For me, if I cannot continue one particular game, I just stop it. No need to force myself to continue at the risk of being burn out. But if I don't feel motivate to play the game, then I stop for the time being until I can motivate myself again. Playing game especially visual novel game should be fun. If I want to be forced to do something I don't like, it is "WORK" not playing game. 

Edited by Acrylic7

I identify with a lot of you. I'm a VN semi-newbie, I've known them forever but haven't finished... or read many for too long. Picked up the hobby seriously last year. I wasn't motivated enough, and I have some problems that make me lose concentration/energy.

Anyway, yeah, I hate dropping VNs too, but then, I don't want to force myself to continue, even though in my mind, I should, because people say X thing is amazing, and "OMG, you've got to experience all the endings!"

I do that thing too where I keep trying new games because I get bored. The filler also gets annoying. I dropped Yume Miru Kusuri in 2014 because it was too repetitive, too much filler. I also got into a different route that I wanted, so I gave up. Giving YMK another try after all these years and I still have the same complaints. It's also a bit unrealistic.

I don't actually like 100% completion, it takes too much time and in the case of VNs, I get attached to a certain hero(ine) and trying another one would be "cheating", in a relationship sense. It feels like I'm betraying the character, lmao. I try the routes that interest me, not all of them (unless there's no other choice). In some games there aren't even many differences between the routes anyways. The skip function is good but sometimes you have to hold the button for 10+ minutes lol.

I haven't played Deardrops yet, however I am liking Kira Kira which is by the same developer. I'm kind of reading a ton of stuff at the same time though, so I'm progressing slowly. I am all for music themes since my main hobby is music, so yeah, if you don't enjoy the main themes, then you'll probably hate the whole thing, I guess. I try to avoid what I probably won't like, although I need to get out of my comfort zone. For example, I'm not into mecha but I will probably read Muv Luv at some point. Art should draw you in, not make you uninterested.

Try what seems cool to you, don't trust the hype, if you do, you'll probably be let down. Expecting too much of something can prove to be a bad thing. I was terribly disappointed with SubaHibi and I gave up on it.

P.S. I am considering Koichoco but I heard the characters can be mean, is that true? Fureraba seemed nice but I've seen complaints about the TL lol.

Edited by Karin

56 minutes ago, Karin said:

P.S. I am considering Koichoco but I heard the characters can be mean, is that true? Fureraba seemed nice but I've seen complaints about the TL lol.

I'd say "a bit mean" is a fair assessment, but then again I do like the character in question, and said character (Sumiyoshi Chisato) is polarizing (partly because of her behavior, and partly because you're forced to read her route first, as it is important for later routes). If you want to try Koichoco and it looks like something you'd be interested then give it a shot - it's got quite a few positives to stand in contrast to the negatives. 

To stick to the topic at hand, I try and give a VN a few hours and if I'm really not feeling it I move on. I've realized that some VNs do take time to get going, so it's not fair to judge them super early, but after that period (2-3 hours) if I'm not interested then I move on to another VN. The hard part is usually at the beginning though, but the same rule applies if it does start to get dull: stop and read something else. I just don't think it's worthwhile to try and force myself to enjoy something when there are other stories out there that likely don't need as much "forcing" for me to enjoy.  

Edited by snowbell55

8 hours ago, Karin said:

Try what seems cool to you, don't trust the hype, if you do, you'll probably be let down. Expecting too much of something can prove to be a bad thing. 

I can't agree more with your statement in regard of don't trust the hype there, so well said here. Yeah I also believed that it's still up to each other to find out whether the VN in question was really deserve the hype or not, and the answer could be different for each people.

As for mean characters, just consider this as a politic lesson (ie politic is always mean) if we talk about Koichoco lol. That said, I believe that Chisato herself is at her worst in Isara's route from what I'd heard, otherwise she's quite tolerable in other routes. Also while this just my speculation, I believe that sprite might took some bad feedback in regard of Chisato, and from there they made her expy in Aokana (Asuka) is better than the former. For whether you'll gonna like it or not, I'll leave that to you. Also for Fureraba here, I would highly suggest you to try this and see whether you can accept the translation or not.

As others have already said, I don't read something if I don't feel like it. This isn't your job (I think? :isla:) so you bear no responsability towards it and you should never feel forced to read something you are fed up with. If you feel like dropping a VN to start another one, just do it, you'll be happier and that's what it all comes down to :sacchan: