Scariest Visual Novel You Have Ever Played

kuririn

On 8/21/2018 at 10:30 PM, kuririn said:

Lmao. Anyways I played corpse party and it was pretty alright. It was more of a jumpscare thing than an actual horrifying experience.

Thats so wrong. Corpse party is creepy as hell, you dont know what you talking about

On 8/21/2018 at 10:30 PM, kuririn said:

Lmao. Anyways I played corpse party and it was pretty alright. It was more of a jumpscare thing than an actual horrifying experience.

corpse party is scary yes, you dont know what you talking about for sure.  jumpscare thing? omg

On 8/21/2018 at 10:46 PM, Plk_Lesiak said:

Japanese stuff: Saya no Uta, Phenomeno, euphoria (warning - this one have all kinds of super-drastic sexual content). 

OELVNs: Lynne, Sweetest Monster

It's hard to find a genuinely scary VN, because that doesn't flow with the formula, but all these are definitely unsettling. :chaika:

"flow with the formula"?  People in these topic,jeez .Of course it is possible to make pretty scary VNs! Why cant they?

5 hours ago, rrr said:

"flow with the formula"?  People in these topic,jeez .Of course it is possible to make pretty scary VNs! Why cant they?

You sir need to chill out and let other people have their opinions. 😛

I didn't even say it was impossible, but quite like you yourself said about Corpse Party, "creepy" or unsettling is usually a better description of VN horror stories. I don't remember being scared by a VN or a horror novel the way I used to be scared by movies, or particularly by video games that requires you to actively steer the protagonist through threatening environments. You pretty much misconstrued our talk about what VN horror relies on into us hating on it, which was clearly not what anyone had in mind. 

I've only played a few VNs that could be even nominally associated with horror so don't exactly have the most intricate knowledge of this theme. Saya no Uta, Muv-Luv Alternative (you know the scene), I Walk Among Zombies, and Sakuranomori Dreamers probably come the closest to this from the VNs I've read, though often they only contain single instances of it that might not actually classify as horror. That said, Saya no Uta wasn't particularly unnerving at any point since nondescript gorelands and violence, while visceral, isn't exactly that disturbing to me. The zombies in IWAZ aren't all that unnerving either, despite me finding the concept of zombies themselves somewhat offputting.

Only Sakuranomori Dreamers really came close to unsettling me at different points, some of the CGs display that fairly well, really morbid expressions, faces and mutilations that contrast very clearly with the rest of the VN.