Scariest Visual Novel You Have Ever Played

kuririn

14 minutes ago, kuririn said:

I'm looking for something to scare the ever-living crap out of me or at least something that would disturb me greatly.

Any OELVN. Especially those with japanese names in title and honorifics in text. Scary as hell.

Or you can try Corpse Party games. Though some of them have simple gameplay mechanics, and Book of shadows is VN.

Edited by ShinRaikdou

2 minutes ago, ShinRaikdou said:

Any OELVN. Especially those with japanese names in title and honorifics in text. Scary as hell.

Or you can try Corpse Party games. Though some of them have simple gameplay mechanics, and Book of shadows is VN.

Lmao. Anyways I played corpse party and it was pretty alright. It was more of a jumpscare thing than an actual horrifying experience.

Japanese stuff: Saya no Uta, Phenomeno, euphoria (warning - this one have all kinds of super-drastic sexual content). 

OELVNs: Lynne, Sweetest Monster

It's hard to find a genuinely scary VN, because that doesn't flow with the formula, but all these are definitely unsettling. :chaika:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

14 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Japanese stuff: Saya no Uta, Phenomeno, euphoria (warning - this one have all kinds of super-drastic sexual content). 

OELVNs: Lynne, Sweetest Monster

It's hard to find a genuinely scary VN, because that doesn't flow with the formula, but all these are definitely unsettling. :chaika:

Sexual content is alright, I usually skip H-scenes anyways. Thanks for the reccomendations.

8 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

I'm not too much into horror... it's a genre I usually find pretty boring. However, I found Higurashi no naku koro ni not only pretty disturbing, but also very interesting. It kept me on the edge of my seat. If you haven't already, you might want to give it a try. It's a classic.

Was going to read Higurashi years ago but never got to it. (I know, I should be ashamed) Any ideas where I should start?

1 minute ago, kuririn said:

Sexual content is alright, I usually skip H-scenes anyways. Thanks for the reccomendations.

Oh, trust me, that won't do for Euphoria :makina:

4 minutes ago, kuririn said:

Was going to read Higurashi years ago but never got to it. (I know, I should be ashamed) Any ideas where I should start?

I suggest you start from the beginning :SmallKappa: https://vndb.org/v67 And then the Kai sequel, which answers the questions arcs: https://vndb.org/v68 

If I'm not mistaken there's two versions, the original one and another from Mangagamer with a reworked resolution; and then there's 07th mods to make it look even better:

Spoiler

Resultado de imagen de higurashi mods

Spoiler

So yeah, you might wanna look into that :sachi:

2 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Oh, trust me, that won't do for Euphoria :makina:

I suggest you start from the beginning :SmallKappa: https://vndb.org/v67 And then the Kai sequel, which answers the questions arcs: https://vndb.org/v68 

If I'm not mistaken there's two versions, the original one and another from Mangagamer with a reworked resolution; and then there's 07th mods to make it look even better:

Hide contents

Hide contents

So yeah, you might wanna look into that :sachi:

Thank you so much for the information! Will definitely look into this!

Never played any actually scary VN's yet. Played a few that have been mildly disturbing or suspenseful though.

Grisaia no Kajitsu certainly has it's moments. It goes from extreme laugh out loud comedy in the common route, to various kinds of psychological traumas in the character routes. It's still the darkest VN I've read (even though it also gave me the greatest laughs). In particular, you'll like Amane's flashback...

ef - a fairy tale of the two . Has a lot of relationship drama. Then the Latter Tale part of it starts to progressively hit you in the gut. The only other VN I've read that had some darker themes.

Of course, if you want something that is really disturbing, Subarashiki is apparently exactly that (I havn't read it yet, but I plan to). You could like The House in Fata Morgana too (apparently has a real mystery vibe to it).

Any Innocent Gray. (Cartagra, KnS)

Higurashi

Saya no uta

Phenomeno

Doki Doki Literature Club (This scared the shit out of me when I played it)

Things like Higurashi and DDLC were more scary cause of the shock factor while saya no uta and phenomeno where more thematic/psychological horror.

Edited by Akshay

Higurashi's only "scary" during the Question Arcs, though it gets more interesting during the Answer Arcs. 

Other than that, there's Phenomeno (which is unfortunately very short) and Saya no uta (which is also quite short but at least longer than the former).

Or if you want some gimmicky scary stuff, you can always try DDLC.

5 hours ago, 1P1A said:

These three are the only ones I've played that seem to actually have straight up horror elements, although they are chock full of moeblob:
Chronobox
Iwaihime

Second both of these! Good taste, sir.

These are great. Chrono Box has some horror themes, and is overall just a very "creepy" experience for a good part of the game.

Iwaihime is just straight up unsettling at times. The dolls, ahh!

(The reason they are "full of moeblob" is that these are denpa games. They look like one thing, "moe" for example, but in reality they are something entirely different. A little different from pure horror games, where they don't really try to hide what the game is and just throw horror at you from the start. I find denpa more enjoyable, as it becomes even harder to predict when and how the horror elements will pop out.)

Shiniyuku Kimi, Yakata ni Mebuku Zouo

Terrible things happens to the female protagonist, and she's made to experience them over and over again with full memories of them.

Minikui Mojika no Ko

Dark sexual torture VN which is apparently very difficult to stomach (I had not actually read it though)

Edited: ops, forgot you (most probably) only read english releases :P

Anyway, ignore the above recommendations (or you can keep it in mind references, lol)

Edited by phantomJS

Depends on what you actually wanna try... ef has one story which has a very dark bad ending, but it's not really a horror game at all. It has "utsuge vibes", but could be classified as nakige, maybe.

Sweetest Monster is a game pretty much designed to be played on Halloween, maybe on a rainy, gloomy winter. I don't know about Lynne. Note that Sweetest Monster even includes a sex scene that somehow passed the Steam censorship. Not much is shown and no VA but the writing tries to be up to the task. Sweetest Monster is one of those works that relies heavily on a gimmick, so once you learn the truth of the story you probably won't play it again. But it's nice.

Euphoria is centered about rape, specifically rape by proxy, the story underneath can go either way and some of the sex is gross, as in dirty.

19 hours ago, kuririn said:

I'm looking for something to scare the ever-living crap out of me or at least something that would disturb me greatly. Any recomendations?

Visual novel as a medium doesn't convey scary moments well, so I have nothing to recommend :/. Except the horribly translated ones, or out of place OELVN's.

52 minutes ago, phantomJS said:

Consider starting a TL project for this? :sachi: (Pretty sure no TL companies will go anywhere near this type of VN in a hundred years lol)

I don't know any japanese, and have no clue how to start a TL project. From what I've seen they are usually centered around the translater want . Also I think @Dergonu will TL it at some point.