• The House in Fate Morgana
    • D.S. -Dal Segno
    • Zanmataisei Demonbane
    • Kikokugai
    • Sekien no Inganock
    • Ourai no Gahkthun
    • Sharin no Kuni
    • Maitetsu

Please forgive my walls of text. As a career Data Analyst, this is simply how I perceive and digest the world around me. Inevitably, it also affects how I communicate.

The last poll was successful and useful to me! I had Planetarian as a winner and Ever17 as a runner up. I cried buckets for Planeterian - It was such a perfect story and easily my top favorite VN of such small length. Despite being pissed at the excruciatingly slow navigation of Ever17 (wasting hours of my life waiting for it to skip so I can try again and fail to get a good ending) I can easily see why everyone thinks it's one of the best. What a ride. EDIT: The ending redeems everything. Thus I have removed my formerly blasphemous words about the game.

This new list includes suggestions I had from before: 

-Ayakashibito, Symphonic Rain were suggested because I thought Mare from Hoshimemo was precious (Thanks @Zakamutt). 

-The House in Fate Morgana was suggested by @Funyarinpaas an important VN that was omitted from @Kaguya's list that I rely on, due to being translated afterward the list was made.

-D.S. -Dal Segno- was suggested by @r0xm2n as having a good AI waifu.

-Zanmataisei Demonbane, Kikokugai - The Cyber Slayer were suggested by @Nier as having some good robo waifus.

-Sekien no Inganock, Ourai no Gahkthun - For the caretaker vibe, suggested by @ChaosRaven

-Sharin no Kuni - for the caretaker vibe, as suggested by  @Tamaki Sakura 

- Maitetsu - was suggested for a caretaker vibe by @Plk_Lesiak and I think I saw it mentioned by a couple other people for other reasons that I might like it.

Whew, I think that's enough for now. There were other suggestions that weren't English translated, I couldn't find a way to download from my usual source, or I just ran out of patience when formatting this list so I didn't get to it. Thank you everyone for your input!

Edited by Corrupted

Accidentally posted this by hitting the enter button before I entered all the poll options. Am now editing the rest of the options in.

Edit: Whew ok fixed, all poll options added. Still open to adding new ones per suggestions, of course!

Edited by Corrupted

@cro-mag

Finally finished Ever17 and these are my thoughts:

Spoiler

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That ending was INSANE.

So yeah, what you said about it all wrapping up beautifully was spot on.

Other thoughts about the ending:

Sora's love unrequited? Sad!!

Original kid's love unrequited? Also sad, he worked really hard! Would have made sense if he was with the original You but didn't seem like it. Does he hook up with Coco later on, you think? Or is Coco only lusting for her brother, BW, AKA you, the player?

Interesting couple of love triangles at the end.

CLANNAD's: Tomoyo in bear suit = Tsugumi in whatever suit

I feel like the final lines were trying to make some connection between RSD Sora and you, the player. Like, maybe the characters in the game aren't real but they are when you look at them, and the reverse is true as well, somehow. Similar to how Sora only exists when people are looking at her. So it's like this heartwarming message that even though this was just a story that you were inserted into as the hero, on some abstract level, it is real and Coco is your little sister and she loves you in a romantic way, so please don't be lonely and despair, because what is reality, anyway?

They totally let that company experiment on humans in horrible ways for 17 years just to save their friends. But, if they didn't, maybe it would have made a paradox and destroyed reality, anyway. The hole Takeru's skin melting off bit was like WHOA.

I also just want to say thank you to everyone that voted Ever17 and Planetarian. They were SO GOOD.

Edited by Corrupted

19 minutes ago, Corrupted said:

@cro-mag

Finally finished Ever17 and these are my thoughts:

Hide contents

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You could just leave it like that)) Anyway, glad you liked it.

Alright. Made more progress in Evenicle. Just got to the point when:

Spoiler

Zombie girl rapes and eats her father. Jesus. I'm never ready for this shit because the game flip flops between being super duper sweet and intense hardcore. Also, kinda related...

Also knocked out Sakura's route in Da Capo 1 because I felt guilty about not getting all the references in Da Capo 2, and because in another thread someone mentioned there was enjoyable jealousy from Nemu.

And oh was there! Jealousy is the best!

Sakura's route was actually great and I have no complaints. I also, in general, really like Nemu and the MC's caretakery relationship with her, even if her route bored and depressed me to quitting the game in the first place. As if often the case, I liked her more when it wasn't her route. I think after Ever17 I'm a little more conditioned to accept old graphics, as well, which made getting through it easier - that and I skipped through all dialogue that wasn't with Sakura because I didn't want to get bored again.

There was one aspect of that path of Da Capo 1 that was a delightful surprise:

Spoiler

The "papa" roleplay. I really enjoyed it with Makina from Grisaia 1 as well, and was disappointed that it didn't carry over to Grisaia 2 and 3. DD/lg dynamic ftw. 

Being called "Onii-chan" seems to be incredibly common, but I only ran into being called "papa" those two times. Seems so odd to me that the English(?) word made it over to Japanese as an affectionate "Daddy" type term. Anywho, it was surprisingly endearing - are there any more popular translated VNs that do something like this? If I had to guess, the ultimate case is probably the one I've already experienced in Grisaia since Makina really fixates on you being her Papa, enjoys it in a kinky way herself,  and you get to massively enjoy the rest of the casts' horrified reactions. It was epic.

Sakura didn't feel like a "loli" character in the slightest to me, she just came off as a dwarf/midget. Being called papa ended up feeling like a roleplay between them as well, which gives a pleasantly realistic kinky vibe. But, I am most impressed at the fact that the sex scene mentioned that the MC's dick only fit halfway in. All the time hentai overlooks the fact that if a girl is half a guy's height, his dick probably only fits in halfway. Hell, I had that problem with a Japanese girl I once slept with and she wasn't even a super midget - she came all the way up to my chin (I'm 5'10" so that was pretty average Japanese college girl height). 

It wasn't a plus, either. It was less than satisfying. That and her breath smelled like cigarettes, her cheeks were messed up from horrible braces, and she did the blow job slurping thing and it terrified the shit out of me because I didn't know it was a thing ahead of time. All in all it wasn't a positive experience, honestly. I had a better time messing around with the Russian exchange student girl than Japanese girls by far - although my sample size was only two, so I know it doesn't count for much.

Anywho - anymore good translated VNs where the girl calls her partner papa/other father type words? Whether or not they actually have a relationship like that or not is not important.

Edited by Corrupted

Alright I'm saying this poll is finished because we actually have something that's significantly ahead and I don't want to wait too long and that to change!

The House in Fate Morgana is the winner! Going to start it tonight!

I hope this pleases @Funyarinpa - this game only got on my radar because they talked it up in the previous poll thread.

I suppose I'll use this thread to spoiler thoughts on playing the game for anyone that's interested in sharing my first run experience just as I did for Ever17 - instead of creating yet another thread and more spam.

6 minutes ago, Corrupted said:

Alright. Made more progress in Evenicle.

Also knocked out Sakura's route in Da Capo 1 because I felt guilty about not getting all the references in Da Capo 2, and because in another thread someone mentioned there was enjoyable jealousy from Nemu.

And oh was there! Jealousy is the best!

Sakura's route was actually great and I have no complaints. I also, in general, really like Nemu and the MC's caretakery relationship with her, even if he route bored and depressed me to quitting the game in the first place. As if often the case, I liked her more when it wasn't her route. I think after Ever17 I'm a little more conditioned to accept old graphics, as well, which made getting through it easier - that and I skipped through all dialogue that wasn't with Sakura because I didn't want to get bored again.

There was one aspect of that path of Da Capo 1 that was a delightful surprise:

Reveal hidden contents

The "papa" roleplay. I really enjoyed it with Makina from Grisaia 1 as well, and was disappointed that it didn't carry over to Grisaia 2 and 3. DD/lg dynamic ftw. 

Being called "Onii-chan" seems to be incredibly common, but I only ran into being called "papa" those two times. Seems so odd to me that the English(?) word made it over to Japanese as an affectionate "Daddy" type term. Anywho, it was surprisingly endearing - are there any more popular translated VNs that do something like this? If I had to guess, the ultimate case is probably the one I've already experienced in Grisaia since Makina really fixates on you being her Papa, enjoys it in a kinky way herself,  and you get to massively enjoy the rest of the casts' horrified reactions. It was epic.

Sakura didn't feel like a "loli" character in the slightest to me, she just came off as a dwarf/midget. Being called papa ended up feeling like a roleplay between them as well, which gives a pleasantly realistic kinky vibe. But, I am most impressed at the fact that the sex scene mentioned that the MC's dick only fit halfway in. All the time hentai overlooks the fact that if a girl is half a guy's height, his dick probably only fits in halfway. Hell, I had that problem with a Japanese girl I once slept with and she wasn't even a super midget - she came all the way up to my chin (I'm 5'10" so that was pretty average Japanese college girl height). 

It wasn't a plus, either. It was less than satisfying. That and her breath smelled like cigarettes, her cheeks were messed up from horrible braces, and she did the blow job slurping thing and it terrified the shit out of me because I didn't know it was a thing ahead of time. All in all it wasn't a positive experience, honestly. I had a better time messing around with the Russian exchange student girl than Japanese girls by far - although my sample size was only two, so I know it doesn't count for much.

Anywho - anymore good translated VNs where the girl calls her partner papa/other father type words? Whether or not they actually have a relationship like that or not is not important.

For me Sakura was the best girl, but only when you're not having relationships with her. I mean - it was very interesting to read her story, both in DC1 and DC2, and she's great as that type of character. But for romance i like others more - "big three" i mentioned in DC2 and Alice, Mako and Moe in DC1.

Edited by cro-mag

Just now, cro-mag said:

For me Sakura was the best girl, but only when you're not having relationships with her. I mean - it was very interesting to read her story, both in DC1 and DC2, and she's great as that type of characters. But for romance i like others more - "big three" i mentioned in DC2 and Alice, Mako and Moe in DC1.

For some reason, the best attributes of a heroine often change for the worst when they're the romantic interest? The biggest example that comes to my mind was Sachi from Grisaia. She's my favorite character in every route except her own. But it seems like it's not a hard rule, by any means.

Ugh, if you keep saying stuff about DC 1 like that I'm going to feel obligated to go back and finish the game proper. I'm a completionist and I'm still beating myself up over everything I ever don't finish. But I really have a hard time with that game so I don't wanna.

Other shit that's constantly bothering me for not completing it:

1. I stopped after I got the ending I liked in Saya No Uta because I was afraid of what would happen in other endings.

2. I didn't play the side stories in Grisaia 2, or the prologue in Grisaia 3.

3. I didn't play Clannad side stories, gah why did i buy them.

12 minutes ago, Corrupted said:

For some reason, the best attributes of a heroine often change for the worst when they're the romantic interest? The biggest example that comes to my mind was Sachi from Grisaia. She's my favorite character in every route except her own. But it seems like it's not a hard rule, by any means.

Ugh, if you keep saying stuff about DC 1 like that I'm going to feel obligated to go back and finish the game proper. I'm a completionist and I'm still beating myself up over everything I ever don't finish. But I really have a hard time with that game so I don't wanna.

Other shit that's constantly bothering me for not completing it:

1. I stopped after I got the ending I liked in Saya No Uta because I was afraid of what would happen in other endings.

2. I didn't play the side stories in Grisaia 2, or the prologue in Grisaia 3.

3. I didn't play Clannad side stories, gah why did i buy them.

You're not obligated to finish if you don't want to) And challenge accepted:

1. I never got to Clannad: After Story. I followed walkthrough and finished 8 or 9 routes with 2 or 3 left in the first part of the game. And the last one i finished was Ichinose Kotomi - my favorite girl here and one of the most favorite ever. And after her route (that was really emotional and very touching for me) the next one in order was Fuka's route... And i just managed to read only a bit, then stopped... Because just didn't feel it in me to continue after Kotomi's route which i liked very much and which was, as i've already mentioned, very emotional. So didn't touch the game again since then.

2. I didn't 100% finish DC Plus Communication - didn't read Kudo and Nanako's routes. I just wanted to read only 3 girls' routes in that version - Misaki, Tamaki and Alice (with latter turned out to be my fav girl). Then, after fav one, didn't feel to continue...

3. In DC2 i "very fluently skipped" through Otome, Yume and Nanaka's routes, cuz didn't care about them in the slightest. Only top 3 counted. Anzu twice.

Well, it was some years ago and since then i didn't do something like that as to not 100% finish the VN. But, on the other hand, i didn't choose to read VNs when there were heroines which i don't so care about or anything... There was one in G-Senjou no Maou, but still - it all was so built-in into story, that i didn't want to skip. Even the thought of that didn't cross my mind. Don't think i'll ever do that again.

1 hour ago, cro-mag said:

You're not obligated to finish if you don't want to) And challenge accepted:

1. I never got to Clannad: After Story. I followed walkthrough and finished 8 or 9 routes with 2 or 3 left in the first part of the game. And the last one i finished was Ichinose Kotomi - my favorite girl here and one of the most favorite ever. And after her route (that was really emotional and very touching for me) the next one in order was Fuka's route... And i just managed to read only a bit, then stopped... Because just didn't feel it in me to continue after Kotomi's route which i liked very much and which was, as i've already mentioned, very emotional. So didn't touch the game again since then.

2. I didn't 100% finish DC Plus Communication - didn't read Kudo and Nanako's routes. I just wanted to read only 3 girls' routes in that version - Misaki, Tamaki and Alice (with latter turned out to be my fav girl). Then, after fav one, didn't feel to continue...

3. In DC2 i "very fluently skipped" through Otome, Yume and Nanaka's routes, cuz didn't care about them in the slightest. Only top 3 counted. Anzu twice.

Well, it was some years ago and since then i didn't do something like that as to not 100% finish the VN. But, on the other hand, i didn't choose to read VNs when there were heroines which i don't so care about or anything... There was one in G-Senjou no Maou, but still - it all was so built-in into story, that i didn't want to skip. Even the thought of that didn't cross my mind. Don't think i'll ever do that again.

If only DC wasn't so tragically annoying to navigate...yeah I think DC series is the only time I "skipped" through, ever. That and if I ... finish too quickly with a hentai scene, then I got skip through and get out of there before i get horrified at 30 minutes of terrible pointless dialogue. (Looking at you If My Heart Had Wings)

I seriously gotta give you a squint for not finishing CLANNAD and doing the Afterstory completely. I went into that shit blind, as my very first long VN, and it rocked my world. Right after I was double rocked by Tomoyo After - a fantastic entry into VN land for me!

If we're also listing "VN Regrets" I have two more that are bugging me.

G-Senjou

Spoiler

I did the last route first, spoiling the twist instead of building up to it properly by doing each side route. I wish someone had warned me to do side routes as they appear. Which heroine did you not like? Kanon? I thought the end of her route is awesome, but I'm a sucker for sports drama bullshit, even though I hate sports in real life. Her mother was such a cool character too.

Even Worse, MLA

Spoiler

I played the steam censored version because I didn't know any better so I didn't see the hyper gore scene in all its glory, and the happy sex scene that follows. I think that was supposed to be incredibly disturbing and cathartic and I'm super duper pissed that I missed out on it! 

Also, I started up The House in Fate Morgana tonight, but I'm like whoa not sure at all what to make of it yet. Waaaaay different than anything else I've played. Will probably have to force myself a little to get used to something new, as I usually have to.

5 minutes ago, Corrupted said:

I seriously gotta give you a squint for not finishing CLANNAD and doing the Afterstory completely.

I know, i know..) Maybe someday...

G-Senjou

Hide contents

I did the last route first, spoiling the twist instead of building up to it properly by doing each side route. I wish someone had warned me to do side routes as they appear. Which heroine did you not like? Kanon? I thought the end of her route is awesome, but I'm a sucker for sports drama bullshit, even though I hate sports in real life. Her mother was such a cool character too.

I ALWAYS read with walkthrough. Cuz, you know, it's not always like Grisaia, where you have 3 choices in prologue, which don't affect anything, and then one choice to enter the heroine's route and once choice to choose between good/bad ending. Look at Never7 flowchart for instance, and that's not the most confusing one! So i use guides to not skip anything and to use my time effectively. As for G-Senjou, yeah

Spoiler

it was Kanon. I'm not against sports drama, it was quite interesting tbh, + her mother's situation and such... But still, it was the least interesting route out of all and Kanon herself is quite annoying sometimes. Don't like girls like her. Later, after you follows the main route, she disappears from sight till the end, and i was like "oh well, won't miss". Not like with Shiratori - she is great! I guess it's Usami -> Shiratori -> Tsubaki, although margin is tiny sometimes, they're all awesome!

And because of my words above, i just couldn't skip routes unintentionally, so i read them in order. And actually i like it very much how they created these routes, so naturally built-in into story.

15 minutes ago, Corrupted said:

Even Worse, MLA

Hide contents

I played the steam censored version because I didn't know any better so I didn't see the hyper gore scene in all its glory, and the happy sex scene that follows. I think that was supposed to be incredibly disturbing and cathartic and I'm super duper pissed that I missed out on it! 

Yeah, you can't forget THAT scene even if you want to... That was... really disturbing. It wasn't the necessary scene, but... It did convey some feelings to you. Still remember it vividly.

Didn't read "The House in Fate Morgana", so... Can't say anything)

Just now, cro-mag said:

I know, i know..) Maybe someday...

I ALWAYS read with walkthrough. Cuz, you know, it's not always like Grisaia, where you have 3 choices in prologue, which don't affect anything, and then one choice to enter the heroine's route and once choice to choose between good/bad ending. Look at Never7 flowchart for instance, and that's not the most confusing one! So i use guides to not skip anything and to use my time effectively. As for G-Senjou, yeah

Hide contents

it was Kanon. I'm not against sports drama, it was quite interesting tbh, + her mother's situation and such... But still, it was the least interesting route out of all and Kanon herself is quite annoying sometimes. Don't like girls like her. Later, after you follows the main route, she disappears from sight till the end, and i was like "oh well, won't miss". Not like with Shiratori - she is great! I guess it's Usami -> Shiratori -> Tsubaki, although margin is tiny sometimes, they're all awesome!

And because of my words above, i just couldn't skip routes unintentionally, so i read them in order. And actually i like it very much how they created these routes, so naturally built-in into story.

Yeah, you can't forget THAT scene even if you want to... That was... really disturbing. It wasn't the necessary scene, but... It did convey some feelings to you. Still remember it vividly.

Didn't read "The House in Fate Morgana", so... Can't say anything)

Oh you don't think the scene I missed in MLA was "necessary?" that does make me feel a little better. 

Yes. Please. Lie to me. More.

<.<

>.> 

You use a walkthrough to play a VN from the start?!?!!?

I prepare it. Then, when i encounter a choice, i look at what i have to choose to reach all bad endings firstly, if there are some of them here. If not - continue with the flow until the next significant choice. It there are separate girls' routes (not like in G-Senjou where they're built-in into the flow, but much like Majikoi) i read from the least interesting girl to the fav. What bad about it? I don't get any spoilers or anything.

Edited by cro-mag

6 minutes ago, cro-mag said:

I prepare it. Then, when i encounter a choice, i look at what i have to choose to reach all bad endings firstly, if there are some of them here. If not - continue with the flow until the next significant choice. It there are separate girls' routes (not like in G-Senjou where they're built-in into the flow, but much like Majikoi) i read from the least interesting girl to the fav. What bad about it? I don't get any spoils or anything.

Maybe it's just me. I'm so terrified of spoilers that I won't even read the summary in VNDB. I won't look up a song in youtube because I'm afraid my eyeball my glance a spoiler somewhere on the page (Happened for me for Grisaia). The idea of even google searching a walkthrough before finishing at the very least my virgin playthrough gives me terror. If you even talk to me during a movie and make guesses as to what will happen I might punch you.

The fact that I'm using these forums at all is an accomplishment. I've only been minored spoiled a couple times so far. I think my desperate need to have any outlet at all to share my VN joy with simply overwhelms the terror of spoilers. I have tried to explain to family and friends what a revolutionary experience discovering VNs has been but I quickly gave up because I saw it was gonna get annoying. 

I've managed to bribe a couple people to try some, but to no real result. One person only has Mac so I could only really get them to try Katawa shoujo, but they still haven't even gotten past the first couple days -.-. Got my brother to try DDLC and he didn't even 

Spoiler

get upset when the MC left Sayori hanging. It's like, are you human?! That made me want to die in real life so hard.

Edited by Corrupted

15 minutes ago, Corrupted said:

Maybe it's just me. I'm so terrified of spoilers that I won't even read the summary in VNDB. I won't look up a song in youtube because I'm afraid my eyeball my glance a spoiler somewhere on the page (Happened for me for Grisaia). The idea of even google searching a walkthrough before finishing at the very least my virgin playthrough gives me terror. If you even talk to me during a movie and make guesses as to what will happen I might punch you.

The fact that I'm using these forums at all is an accomplishment. I've only been minored spoiled a couple times so far. I think my desperate need to have any outlet at all to share my VN joy with simply overwhelms the terror of spoilers. I have tried to explain to family and friends what a revolutionary experience discovering VNs has been but I quickly gave up because I saw it was gonna get annoying. 

I've managed to bribe a couple people to try some, but to no real result. One person only has Mac so I could only really get them to try Katawa shoujo, but they still haven't even gotten past the first couple days -.-. Got my brother to try DDLC and he didn't even 

Reveal hidden contents

get upset when the MC left Sayori hanging. It's like, are you human?! That made me want to die in real life so hard.

i get it. Well, that explains your polls)) If you even don't read summary, then that makes sense. I'm not so strict to myself. Especially in movies. When before i watched last Avengers i heard that (don't look if you didn't see the movie)

Spoiler

Loki dies at the beginning, i was like "oh, ok. The main thing - it's not a Stark".

So yeah, i read summary. Cuz how esle i'm supposed to know if VN interests me or not? Well, there were cases when i picked a VN immediately based on girls along (Tsujidou or Coμ for instance). When i saw Maki i was like "i don't care now what's the story here, but i want to read it!!! The story was good anyway so i enjoyed it to the fullest. But really, these are just two novels like that. Ofc, summary is not the main factor for choosing VN, it's a combination of factors, but still.

1 minute ago, cro-mag said:

i get it. Well, that explains your polls)) If you even don't read summary, then that makes sense. I'm not so strict to myself. Especially in movies. When before i watched last Avengers i heard that (don't look if you didn't see the movie)

Reveal hidden contents

Loki dies at the beginning, i was like "oh, ok. The main thing - it's not a Stark".

So yeah, i read summary. Cuz how esle i'm supposed to know if VN interests me or not? Well, there were cases when i picked a VN immediately based on girls along (Tsujidou or Coμ for instance). When i saw Maki i was like "i don't care now what's the story here, but i want to read it!!! The story was good anyway so i enjoyed it to the fullest. But really, these are just two novels like that. Ofc, summary is not the main factor for choosing VN, it's a combination of factors, but still.

Hah yup that's pretty much the point of my recommendation threads and polls. I want to have just enough reason to think I might seriously like something about a VN (It has a robo-waifu or a daughter-waifu or jealousy etc) then jump in blind. Also I just analyze things to death and that's half the fun of life for me. I am literally a career Data Analyst. If I don't have to whip out excel to figure out how to win in PVP in an MMO or Dark Souls or such than I'm bored.

Also my random picks led me to waste time with garbo like Yandere (the VN, not the lovely genre). I don't have time for that nonsense.

1 minute ago, Corrupted said:

Also my random picks led me to waste time with garbo like Yandere (the VN, not the lovely genre). I don't have time for that nonsense.

Well yeah, VNs tend to be maybe the the most time-consuming of all others entertainments. Well, i mean stuff like LN, manga, anime and games. Although, jRPG sometimes can rival to that. Anyway, for that reason i also try veeeery carefully to pick a VN to read...

13 hours ago, Corrupted said:

Alright I'm saying this poll is finished because we actually have something that's significantly ahead and I don't want to wait too long and that to change!

The House in Fate Morgana is the winner! Going to start it tonight!

I hope this pleases @Funyarinpa - this game only got on my radar because they talked it up in the previous poll thread.

I suppose I'll use this thread to spoiler thoughts on playing the game for anyone that's interested in sharing my first run experience just as I did for Ever17 - instead of creating yet another thread and more spam.

Yay! \o/

Sincerely hope you enjoy Fata Morgana. 

Probably for the best to go in blind, but let me know if you want to check out a content warning list. 

Edited by Funyarinpa

14 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

Yay! \o/

Sincerely hope you enjoy Fata Morgana. 

Probably for the best to go in blind, but let me know if you want to check out a content warning list. 

Blind is the only way I do it! I'm not really offended by any content. If it's going to be incredibly depressing with not cathartic relief possible I'd want a heads up, otherwise I'm good. Wouldn't that be called "utsuge"? I'd want to have my head on straight before challenging that genre, I think.

Oh hey I just noticed in your signature that you're reading Consider Phlebas? Solid choice! Siiiiccckkk booooookkkk. One of my favorites, ever.

My favorite author is Iain Banks, my favorite series is his culture/sci-fi series, and I've read every single one in it from Consider Phlebas to The Hydrogen Sonata. Hell I've read them all twice, sometimes three times or more. If you ever want to chat about those books hit me up, it would be my pleasure!

16 hours ago, Corrupted said:

Also, I started up The House in Fate Morgana tonight, but I'm like whoa not sure at all what to make of it yet. Waaaaay different than anything else I've played. Will probably have to force myself a little to get used to something new, as I usually have to.

Believe me, it gets way more engaging down the line. I also had to force myself though at first, but then, a few hours in, I became really engaged. Now it's one of my top 5 VNs.

15 hours ago, Corrupted said:

Most people do, btw. I personally try to at least check if there is something like a recommended route order for a VN I want to read. A lot of VNs don't enforce the order of the routes, even if one route basically spoils another one. I just recently found myself in a similar situation where I was reading Hapymaher and accidentally chose an option leading to the true end on my second playthrough, and I ended up spoiling an important plot point.

Oh, and I'm not very active on this forum recently, so I'm almost always late to reply, but I just want to say that your playthroughs are rather interesting to follow. :meguface:

56 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Believe me, it gets way more engaging down the line. I also had to force myself though at first, but then, a few hours in, I became really engaged. Now it's one of my top 5 VNs.

Most people do, btw. I personally try to at least check if there is something like a recommended route order for a VN I want to read. A lot of VNs don't enforce the order of the routes, even if one route basically spoils another one. I just recently found myself in a similar situation where I was reading Hapymaher and accidentally chose an option leading to the true end on my second playthrough, and I ended up spoiling an important plot point.

Oh, and I'm not very active on this forum recently, so I'm almost always late to reply, but I just want to say that your playthroughs are rather interesting to follow. :meguface:

Score! As long as there'a at least one person that reads my little self-conscious play-diary, then I am validated in my spam. Thanks!

Yeah I've learned my lesson on pushing through on recommended games many times over. CLANNAD took me SO many tries to actually get through my first playthrough, then became the mindblowing, lifechanging experience that got me into VNs. Just recently, Ever17 bored me and frustrated me...then I got to the end and it laughed in my face for ever doubting it. 

I'm procrastinating on Fate Morgana by finishi Evenicle and Nekopara atm. Nekopara rubs my heart in a very special, unexpected way...every time a completely dependent cat girl asks me for money for a vending machine or permission to walk to the back of a store and look at something my BDSM Dom's heart goes aflutter. And Evenicle is imply the best turn-based JRPG style game I have ever played. Years after I swore off that medium, here I am actually going out of my way to explore everything and get into unnecessary combat because the game is so fun and rewarding. My only complaint is that I can't keep up with Aster - my refractory period is longer than his, so I can't keep up with the pace of the sex scenes!

I suppose I am too scared to look up recommended play orders but...I regret doing G-String wrong. I WOULD like recommendations when the play order is super necessary to the experience. Really hard for me to determine that that's the case ahead of time without risking spoilers, you know? Sounds like I should at least also concern myself with Hapymaher, like you said. Perhaps I'll make a post later to research what people think are necessary play orders.

Fuck me. Played Evenicle for a zillion hours, probably very close to the end of the game, and it finally crossed the damn line for me and I had to close the game and step away from my computer. The game already disturbed me several times and I was able to get over it, even get into it. I could rationalize every cheesy artificial sexual premise and torture porn scene as something that fit the unique and interesting sci-fi setting, and even go back and fap to it later if I was too surprised by it to be anything but sickened at the time I first encountered it.

When the world was cruel, it made the kind parts better. The main character was always on the right side of things, if perhaps for the wrong reasons. But he worked towards making the world a better place with less suffering. I never once see him turn down helping someone even if he's character is supposed to be potentially selfish enough to do so. Nope, he always steps up and does the right thing when it comes time and I can get behind that and sorta forgive his slight rapeyness. There's even a good in-world explanation for the flaws in his character.

But wait:

Spoiler

In chapter 6 the game straight up has the MC rape someone with no way to avoid it. He just walks up and does it with a grin while the supporting cast gives him the thumbs up. It's ok because the character that is closest a living god in that world gave him the thumbs up this one time just for fun to punish a villain. This is after you spend the whole game trying to rescue people from getting raped and after the main character has made it perfectly clear that while he definitely wants to fuck everyone, he would still try very hard not to violate their consent.

My immersion. Where did it go. Come back. 

Now I'm definitely too scared to play Rance. It's gonna make me mad.

Messed around with Da Capo 3 to take a breather from the heavy stuff since I already had it downloaded. What the heck happened to the character design?! Da Capo 3's heroines look like clones of eachother all with the same exact round face. There's nothing unique and interesting like Anzu, Minatsu, Akane from Da Capo 2.