• Da Capo 3
    • Nekopara 2
    • Steins Gate
    • Fate\Stay Night
    • Planetarian
    • Dangan Ropa
    • Harmonia
    • Other - Just make a comment

I'm not giving any criteria (But feel free to look at the VNs I've played via the VNDB link to the left). I just happened to have already downloaded these bad boys and I intend on playing them all eventually. I just want a little push of randomness to help me pick the next one!

Feel free to make a comment about why I should or should not pick a specific one or play them in a specific order - or don't. Doesn't matter.

Edited by Corrupted

Would really recommend Fate/Stay night and Steins/Gate however the beginning of SG is really really mundane but rapidly ramps up when it gets really going. Fate/Stay night on the other hand youre immediately sucked in by the holy grail war and its quirks. 

Both are totally different games but one of the best games I played in the medium

Ever17 is I think made for certain people. Honestly some parts I was bored to death, it rapidly ramps up like SG once it gets going but its really far in the game. By the time I got there I got sick of the characters already (Take my criticisms about Ever17 with a grain of salt, I played it a few years ago and I would probably think different if I replayed it now but no way)

Maybe it's like @Larxe1 said and Ever17 is indeed made for certain people. But i can say i played it 3 years ago and since then i've been considering it as a masperpiece, one of the best VNs i've ever read and the best in Infinite trilogy followed by Remember11. So i totally recommend it. As for the others - well, i may sound rather obviously, but choose VN according to your mood. As i can see, both Da Capo in your list are stated as "Stalled", so dunno about DC3, if you didn't especially like previous ones. Although some people find it better. Well, maybe they're "stalled" not because you don't like it, in that case ignore me)) Both Ever17 and Steins;Gate offer great story. Maybe former is a bit... lighter, for the lack of other word. But if you'd like to play something involving thrill and mysteries, choose Danganronpa.

Just now, Funyarinpa said:

Ever17 has inconsistent pacing/atmosphere but it's still a wonderful VN and has one of my favorite characters in the medium (Sora).

So I voted for that, but I'll add that you gotta play The House In Fata Morgana if you haven't already.

Futa Morgana to you is what steins;gate is for me, heh?

Obviously, play Steins;Gate, it's gud. 

5 hours ago, phantomJS said:

@Corrupted

You absolutely have to read Nekopara 2 next since you love it so much:nokia:.

Kidding. My vote goes to Fate Stay/Night~~

Tease me more. 
I've got some hella conflicted feelings thanks to Nekopara. The relationship between master and cat girl is the most perfect relationship possible, and I kinda hate myself for feeling that way. 

8 hours ago, cro-mag said:

Maybe it's like @Larxe1 said and Ever17 is indeed made for certain people. But i can say i played it 3 years ago and since then i've been considering it as a masperpiece, one of the best VNs i've ever read and the best in Infinite trilogy followed by Remember11. So i totally recommend it. As for the others - well, i may sound rather obviously, but choose VN according to your mood. As i can see, both Da Capo in your list are stated as "Stalled", so dunno about DC3, if you didn't especially like previous ones. Although some people find it better. Well, maybe they're "stalled" not because you don't like it, in that case ignore me)) Both Ever17 and Steins;Gate offer great story. Maybe former is a bit... lighter, for the lack of other word. But if you'd like to play something involving thrill and mysteries, choose Danganronpa.

Thanks for spending the extra effort and looking at my list. Yeah stalled means I more or less gave up on it. I had just played Hoshimemo and was wow'd. Going from that to Da Capo 2 made me feel kinda let down - they're so comparable as far as scope and setting, and Hoshimemo is just flatly superior in every way. I think that's why I got bored of Da Capo 2; it just made me want to replay Hoshimemo. Also the navigation is a nightmare and the music is disappointing.

I'm gonna power through it and finish it though because it's really not a bad game and I do really enjoy at least one part of every route, I just needed a break. Every other stalled game I'm making no guarantees I'll ever finish it. I'm kinda hoping Da Capo 3 will grab me more, but I definitely should throw a different kind of VN in the mix first so I don't get bored again for the same reason. Maybe there's actually a single good soundtrack in Da Capo 3 so I might actually be able to cry like I'm supposed to.

Edited by Corrupted

8 hours ago, Larxe1 said:

6 hours ago, phantomJS said:

4 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

6 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

7 hours ago, cro-mag said:

So, I kinda noped out of Kanon, Da Capo 1, and Kana little sister because they just felt so old and slow. It's hard for me to get into them after playing something as gloriously beautiful as the Grisaia series or as intensely engaging as Little Busters and MLA. Guilt at not giving them a chance may eventually make me finish them, but after some people commented that "nah, they're really just that old so don't worry about it", I feel better about leaving them stalled and moving on to newer things.

I did at least start up Ever17 and SteinsGate to see what they were like but then I got pretty worried at how old they looked. They seem to be one of the favoritist of everyone, though. Are they, unlike those previous others, the kind that simply always worth it to push through despite the original turn-off at the aged appearance? I don't want to be a graphics snob or something; I mostly just want to spend my time effectively.

6 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Ever17 has inconsistent pacing/atmosphere but it's still a wonderful VN and has one of my favorite characters in the medium (Sora).

So I voted for that, but I'll add that you gotta play The House In Fata Morgana if you haven't already.

I'm trying to knock out this list, although I'm also going on plenty of tangents. Do you think The House In Fate Morgana shoulda been on it and is one of the best all around must plays?

52 minutes ago, Corrupted said:

intensely engaging as Little Busters

For me LB! was first Key VN I read. Despite that I still enjoyed older ones - Kanon, Air and Clannad. But I'm not bored by "slow" titles - as long as I like characters ;) And old graphics isn't instant turn-off for me - sometimes I genuinely like it. For example, I loved heroines look in Season of Sakura or overall graphic feel of Nocturnal Illusion. YU-NO looks really promising too.

Edited by adamstan

23 minutes ago, adamstan said:

For me LB! was first Key VN I read. Despite that I still enjoyed older ones - Kanon, Air and Clannad. But I'm not bored by "slow" titles - as long as I like characters ;) And old graphics isn't instant turn-off for me - sometimes I genuinely like it. For example, I loved heroines look in Season of Sakura or overall graphic feel of Nocturnal Illusion. YU-NO looks really promising too.

Now I'm feeling guilty again. Hah. 
I really liked the art style of Cross Channel...so dreamy...characters are so lithe...reminds me somehow of final fantasy tactics?

27 minutes ago, Corrupted said:

I really liked the art style of Cross Channel...so dreamy...characters are so lithe...reminds me somehow of final fantasy tactics?

If only there was decent translation for it... As it is now, with each TL worse than the other, I'm not going anywhere near it ;)

But yeah, screenshots look nice.

Edited by adamstan

Just now, adamstan said:

If only there was decent translation for it... As it is now, with each TL worse than the other, I'm not going anywhere near it ;)

I greatly enjoyed it despite the poor translation. However, I was also made aware that I'm only getting about 50% of the pleasure out of what is an extremely deep game. It seems to have the property of being enjoyable no matter how deep you choose to get into it, however. As long as you aren't turned off at the start from the sexual harassment elements.

2 hours ago, Corrupted said:

I'm trying to knock out this list, although I'm also going on plenty of tangents. Do you think The House In Fate Morgana shoulda been on it and is one of the best all around must plays?

This list is pretty old btw. I'm not sure when exactly it was updated for the last time, but I'm pretty sure Fata Morgana wasn't even translated back then. Overall, it's definitely a must play VN.

As for the VNs in the poll, I'm voting for Planetarian. It's a pretty short VN, I personally read it in one go, but it still manages to create a really meaningful story, and it's my personal favorite Key VN. It's also a very nice example that you don't have to include 30 hours of slice-of-life to make the sad parts actually sad. :sachi:

Just now, Dreamysyu said:

This list is pretty old btw. I'm not sure when exactly it was updated for the last time, but I'm pretty sure Fata Morgana wasn't even translated back then. Overall, it's definitely a must play VN.

As for the VNs in the poll, I'm voting for Planetarian. It's a pretty short VN, I personally read it in one go, but it still manages to create a really meaningful story, and it's my personal favorite Key VN. It's also a very nice example that you don't have to include 30 hours of slice-of-life to make the sad parts actually sad. :sachi:

Is that so?

Is there a more updated list you would recommend? I might seriously consider switching over to it. I should probably start a new thread asking for just that, I guess. 

I figured any decent list was better than wasting time trying to figure out what exact list to use, but if there's a newer and categorically better list I'd be grateful to find it. 

Is that so?

Is there a more updated list you would recommend? I might seriously consider switching over to it. I should probably start a new thread asking for just that, I guess. 

I figured any decent list was better than wasting time trying to figure out what exact list to use, but if there's a newer and categorically better list I'd be grateful to find it. 

Well, not so long ago there were some attempts to complement @Kaguya's list with some other titles, including the ones which were translated more recently. Most of them were genre-specific, but I managed to find two which weren't:

16 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Well, not so long ago there were some attempts to complement @Kaguya's list with some other titles, including the ones which were translated more recently. Most of them were genre-specific, but I managed to find two which weren't:

Gosh darn it. I appreciate this, but now I'm going to have to devote some more time to decision making. I suppose in the end, I'm probably going to be referencing all three lists along with researching based on my own developing interests. I can't ignore the fact that CLANNAD isn't on the first list, and MLA isn't on the others, and those two are my favorites. I'll just have to take a mature approach of continually refining my objectives instead of taking the easy route of picking one list and sticking with it. I suppose I'm still partial to the first list because of the title (50 to play before you die, literally #lifegoals). It's my original bucket list, and thus special to me.

I guess I'm just going to keep spamming these forums with questions and requests for suggestions in order to make the best use of my reading time, because it seems like people don't mind helping <3.

Also, when someone posts that something is their favorite, it has a strong influence on me. Not the least of which because I know there's at least one person who'd be happy to discuss it with me after I finish it.

I finished Da Capo 2 while waiting for this poll to resolve:

Spoiler

This is not the first or second time this has happened, but I had put off my least fav character's route to last and it ended up being really good (Koko's route due to Nanaka's enjoyable desperation). Decent enough closure with the little "DC" afterstory at the end. There's a lot about this VN that wasn't to my taste (Weird bodies in the sex scenes, the sister routes I looked forward to so much were weaker than the previous routes, boring as endings that didn't make me cry, weak sound track), but there was a lot that I genuinely enjoyed and even replayed on the spot (Anzu all around lovable, Nanaka peeping from under the covers, Minatsu cute af and having the best flat chest ever, the god-tier snark of the girl trio). I don't regret playing it, it was just enough to make me realize I should probably not pursue VNs made by the same company.

That game, by lacking even a single good soundtrack, helped me realize that even though I'm not a music person in general, the sound track might just be the most important part of a VN to me. It's why MLA's my number one. Just one or two good songs are why Hoshimemo and If My Heart Had Wings blew me away, and allowed me to overlook the awkward flaws of G-String.

Da Capo 2's biggest crime is definitely the fact that the big sassy snark queen herself, Akane, was not a date-able heroine. But, perhaps...this allows her to maintain an unattainable grandeur. 

.......and the poll is still tied. I'll go play some Evenicle while I wait for that tie to break.

I finished Da Capo 2 while waiting for this poll to resolve:

Hide contents

This is not the first or second time this has happened, but I had put off my least fav character's route to last and it ended up being really good (Koko's route due to Nanaka's enjoyable desperation). Decent enough closure with the little "DC" afterstory at the end. There's a lot about this VN that wasn't to my taste (Weird bodies in the sex scenes, the sister routes I looked forward to so much were weaker than the previous routes, boring as endings that didn't make me cry, weak sound track), but there was a lot that I genuinely enjoyed and even replayed on the spot (Anzu all around lovable, Nanaka peeping from under the covers, Minatsu cute af and having the best flat chest ever, the god-tier snark of the girl trio). I don't regret playing it, it was just enough to make me realize I should probably not pursue VNs made by the same company.

That game, by lacking even a single good soundtrack, helped me realize that even though I'm not a music person in general, the sound track might just be the most important part of a VN to me. It's why MLA's my number one. Just one or two good songs are why Hoshimemo and If My Heart Had Wings blew me away, and allowed me to overlook the awkward flaws of G-String.

Da Capo 2's biggest crime is definitely the fact that the big sassy snark queen herself, Akane, was not a date-able heroine. But, perhaps...this allows her to maintain an unattainable grandeur. 

.......and the poll is still tied. I'll go play some Evenicle while I wait for that tie to break.

Koko/Amakase were my 2nd fav characters in game after Anzu (which is among my the most fav girls ever in VNs). Yeah, sex scenes were not the thing game should be proud about, but i did not pay attention to it, because imo it's not the most important thing here. Moreover, i think they could easily not to do these scenes at all, story was more important. Also, couldn't care less about sisters and Nanaka, that's just not my type. But other 3 routes combined make this VN one of the most dear and memorable for me. I even read Anzu's route twice. She's really the best. And i love her voice so much.

Also i can say that there are some OST here that caught my eye. Like 4 or 5. Especially Anzu's OST. My personal favorite. I think it's beautiful music.

But i can understand those who doesn't think the way i am. It's just DC in general is of course not such thrilled and full of action as MLA or G Senjou no Maou. So it's understandable that so slow paced VNs don't suit to everyone.

As for Ever17, i agree with other people saying that age doesn't matter here. I still think VN looks good and the story is amazing, so give it a try someday if you will.

6 minutes ago, cro-mag said:

Koko/Amakase were my 2nd fav characters in game after Anzu (which is among my the most fav girls ever in VNs). Yeah, sex scenes were not the thing game should be proud about, but i did not pay attention to it, because imo it's not the most important thing here. Moreover, i think they could easily not to do these scenes at all, story was more important. Also, couldn't care less about sisters and Nanaka, that's just not my type. But other 3 routes combined make this VN one of the most dear and memorable for me. I even read Anzu's route twice. She's really the best. And i love her voice so much.

Also i can say that there are some OST here that caught my eye. Like 4 or 5. Especially Anzu's OST. My personal favorite. I think it's beautiful music.

But i can understand those who doesn't think the way i am. It's just DC in general is of course not such thrilled and full of action as MLA or G Senjou no Maou. So it's understandable that so slow paced VNs don't suit to everyone.

As for Ever17, i agree with other people saying that age doesn't matter here. I still think VN looks good and the story is amazing, so give it a try someday if you will.

Koko felt like a bitchy, watered down Nagisa to me. I agree that Anzu is amazeballs, though. Every single line of hers in the entire game is fantastic. Then she just turns into an absolute sweetheart on her path, like wow. Nanaka was so boring, that when I followed her path to my very first venture into Act 2, I stopped and started over. She was interesting in paths that were not her own, though, which is just something that seems to happen sometimes. I could play a whole other game just listening to Anzu and Akane snark it up.

I agree the game could be a lot better without the sex scenes. It really hurts my immersion when there's 0 physical intimacy then 2 minutes later the heroine is like, "uh, let's go have sex now". It's either that or the MC is too pushy, there's no middle ground. It's just poop for sex scenes all around. Amakase is hot, though -.-. Anzu's face is not so bizarrely wide in pretty much every image besides her standard character sprites, and she looks cute then too.

These two tracks were enough for me to prefer Hoshimemo:

I'm very close to playing Ever17, but it looks like Planetarian is currently barely beating it in the pole. I've been playing Evenicle to wait and see how the pole turns out. That game is just amazing, it has everything in it. Fun rpg mechanics, every possible fetish, every possible character body type, the most loving and sweet flirting ever, and horrifically disturbing shit that'll give me nightmares.

2 minutes ago, Corrupted said:

Koko felt like a bitchy, watered down Nagisa to me. I agree that Anzu is amazeballs, though. Every single line of hers in the entire game is fantastic. Then she just turns into an absolute sweetheart on her path, like wow. Nanaka was so boring, that when I followed her path to my very first venture into Act 2, I stopped and started over. She was interesting in paths that were not her own, though, which is just something that seems to happen sometimes. I could play a whole other game just listening to Anzu and Akane snark it up.

I agree the game could be a lot better without the sex scenes. It really hurts my immersion when there's 0 physical intimacy then 2 minutes later the heroine is like, "uh, let's go have sex now". It's either that or the MC is too pushy, there's no middle ground. It's just poop for sex scenes all around. Amakase is hot, though -.-. Anzu's face is not so bizarrely wide in pretty much every image besides her standard character sprites, and she looks cute then too.

I always press a button to the next line in VNs when i read faster than they speak. But in 2nd run of Anzu's route i literally listened to every phrase she said till the end - so much i like her voice. Overall, there are 3 heroines i don't care about, and 3 amazing ones, which is actually enough for me to love this VN. It's so sad that DC2 Spring Celebration is not translated. So i hope maybe one day i'll try to read it with translator, at least Anzu, Koko and Amakase's routes.

Couple of OST i like (it's kinda hard to find Anzu's OST for some reason, so it's not here):