Japanese equivalent of notable OELVNs?

onorub

This is more of something that popped in my head, but i believe the OELVN scene is more or less where the JPVN scene was in 1995, so i thought of comparing the more notable OELVNs with probable japanese equivalent from the 90's. I would go something like this:

Katawa Shoujo is the equivalent to Doukyuusei, since is the first romance oriented and more lenghty title;

VA11 HALL-A is the equivalent to Kamaitachi no Yoru, since it became sort of a big deal on console (looking at VA11 HALL-A getting a PSVita version in JP language);

The Letter is the equivalent to Eve Burst Error, since is a longer and grittier title.

I'm just randomly thinking so sorry if it looks disjointed, but i'd like to see if anyone else could come up with comparisons like that.

Edit: Now that i think about it, Doki Doki Literature Club might be the equivalent to Shizuku: Short, rather trippy and became a hit despite VN aficionados questioning its' quality. Sakura Dungeon might be the equivalent of Words Worth because of the similar dungeon-crawling.

Edited by onorub

Hah, I wouldn't mind to see EVNs grow in a similar manner. But who would be the Key of the West? ;)

Well, I know nothing of old VNs, so I can't contribute to the discussion, but I enjoy the premise. If only me or @Palas could DBZ-style fuse with @kivandopulus for an hour, I'm sure the combined knowledge would effect in a dozen or two of perfect analogies. :mare:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Doki Doki Literature Club! feels like One ~Kagayaku Kisetsu e~ since you await a very light romance comedy and it indeed starts this way, but ends up something very different.

Analogue: A Hate Story reminds me of DOOP as you're stuck in a close space inside the spaceship trying to uncover a mystery.

Sakura Spirit resembles Toushin Toshi II for me as both provide a rewarding RPG system with sudden bursts of naked girls.

Edited by kivandopulus