[SPOILERS] Hapymaher: So about Maia...

voidpointer

WARNING, SPOILERS AHEAD!

They never really said what happened to Maia. They said a lot that she died, but I guess it's possible she's not dead (I imagined a few times that she's just in some sort of eternal sleep in the woods or something, or captured somewhere). The biggest hint we get in the story is when they show the flash back to Maia and Saki as children talking about the tale of the forest. Something about fairies that capture you. So basically: Maia got spirited away?

I guess this was supposed to just be an unexplained mystery? It's one of those things I searched Google on to see if there were interesting theories, but I never found any. Would love to see if there's other hints in the story I missed, or possibly some other theories.

Spoiler

Maia, the sister, is dead.  Maia in the dream is unsure if she is the spirit of the original Maia or just a creation of Tohru's despair and desire to see her again.  However, given the fact that she is both self-aware and capable of a limited degree of self-determination within the parameters of her limited existence, I'd say she is probably a ghost/spirit rather than just a figment of Tohru's imagination. 

My reasons for this are this: Maia is affected by Yuuko's dream and forced into the mold she created when it comes to what actions she can take, but her core drives and desires are completely unchanged.  She is still driven primarily by her love for Tohru and Saki, and their well-being is her first and foremost concern.  She is also driven by the desire to be with Tohru, which is why her ending is a sad/bad one, as she is unable to control her desire to be with him and thus automatically enforces him being drawn permanently into their original dream. 

Part of my reasoning for this is based on my reading of Fragmentation Dream's final ending (the FD), which I won't get into here, but most of it is drawn from just reading the original game.