NEW GAME: THE CHALLENGE STAGE

Slynch

Hi everyone. So since we are able to extract (but not yet recompile; this is being looked into) script files from NEW GAME: THE CHALLENGE STAGE, I've started a repository for translating the scripts (link below).

The source script files are in JSON and are pretty unwieldy to translate, so the files on the repo are in a intermediary format created by my psb-translator program (also on my Github account) for ease of translation.

If anyone wants to contribute, just read the readme and get started.

https://github.com/Slynchy/nyugemu-translation

EDIT 12/08/2018 - I made a Google Sheets for tracking which files have been translated and the % done. This can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xZPtvfvcnNc7eIG-mthxgS1lhgg4lBBmB5Qi-GBaWAw/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Slynch
Add google sheet

Yes, looks like these are scn (psb) files, you could try my FreeMote for decompiling and recompiling. 

Just get the tools by clicking "build passing" badge for the unfinished v1.3 test version. It should be much faster (especially for scn type, should be 10x+ faster) than FreeMote v1.2 (in releases page).

Thanks, but we could already recompile the psb files (sorry, I should've been clearer!), we just can't rebuild the archives the psb files were inside. 

I'm hoping that someone can eventually make a program to do that since it's beyond my capabilities (just a simple js dev...) but in the meantime I'm starting on the translating. 

I'm too lazy to do things, but since I looked at the first tl'd line of the umiko something file out of boredom:

青葉: (飛行機に乗って約2時間半。\n 私は初めて来る沖縄にワクワクしながら\n 空港へと降り立ちました)

Aoba: (Our plane landed at two-thirty.\nI was very excited to go to Okinawa and fly for the first time!)

飛行機に乗って約2時間半 has 乗る in continuative form, so we expect 約2時間半 to be something that happens after it. The natural interpretation is that the plain trip took 2 hours 30 minutes, not that it's 2:30. The 約 also means that it's about 2:30, not precisely.

私は初めて来る沖縄にワクワクしながら\n 空港へと降り立ちました
It's possible that this is canon, but this sentence doesn't say anything about her being excited to fly for the first time; it only talks about being excited to be visiting Okinawa for the first time. The last part seems to be elided which is fine, but if you find it more convenient to keep it in then you can.

青葉: (あそこの時計の横にあるのって気温計だよね。\n わわっ、地元より5度も高い!\n 同じ日本なのに……こんなに違うんだ)

Aoba: (There's a thermometer next to the clock.\nWaaa~! It's five times hotter than home!\nEven though it's still the same Japan, it's so different, huh…)

Five times hotter? That sounds suspicious. You know, we had a freelance J-SE translator do a speech once in high school. She talked about how you should always be suspicious when translating; look shit you might be wrong about up or you'll be sorry. Her specific example was a toy poodle, which some poor schmuck had translated as if it were actually a toy rather than diminutive in size. In this case, you got 5 times higher for 5 degrees higher: https://ejje.weblio.jp/content/degrees+higher

The "even though its still the same Japan" part is also a rather unsmooth translationism. Something like idk "I guess the south of Japan is pretty different, huh" or whatever might do. Or maybe even "We're still in Japan, but everything's so different!". Meh, have fun

---

...and I'm too lazy to look at more of this because I'll probably spot more errors and feel compelled to correct them, rip

29 minutes ago, Slynch said:

Thanks, but we could already recompile the psb files (sorry, I should've been clearer!), we just can't rebuild the archives the psb files were inside. 

I'm hoping that someone can eventually make a program to do that since it's beyond my capabilities (just a simple js dev...) but in the meantime I'm starting on the translating. 

Alright, I just didn't realized that since I didn't see that feature implemented in your `psb-translation` repo. But yes, just changing strings (PsbString) in PSB (without changing the structure or numbers or resources) is relatively easy - if you need advanced editing features (e.g. add a new line or remove some lines) you can still try FreeMote. 

As for the archive, maybe you can also find some codes on github by searching the game titles by 5pb or the file extensions etc. Good luck!

P.S. Zakamutt's corrections are right.

Cheers guys. Yeah I don't doubt for a second that the corrections are right :P that tip about always being suspicious is a good one, I'll adhere to that definitely.

I've found the two types are the translations that are debatable, and the translations that are just plain wrong. Of course I want to have no translations that are straight up wrong, but if the debatable ones are debated this loc isn't going to be finished! :D Besides, that stuff can be picked up in the editing phase. Draft phase is inevitably going to have mistakes. 

Of course, however, I will always listen to feedback when provided <3 

@Ulysses My own converter uses FreeMote to go from PSB to Excel/Google Docs and back without a JSON step inbetween. I've found the library works on scenario files which other tools crash on, so if you ask me, it's the best .scn patching solution available. The converter is currently not public, but is being actively used in a number of translation projects - I'll probably throw it on Github at some point.

9 hours ago, frc_ said:

@Ulysses My own converter uses FreeMote to go from PSB to Excel/Google Docs and back without a JSON step inbetween. I've found the library works on scenario files which other tools crash on, so if you ask me, it's the best .scn patching solution available. The converter is currently not public, but is being actively used in a number of translation projects - I'll probably throw it on Github at some point.

Yes, use FreeMote lib directly is the most efficient way as I mentioned before. I haven't tried SCN translation yet (I mainly focused on emote PSB for now), so I didn't make a GUI tool for that, but I'd always recommend this way. However sometimes it's more convenient to change its structure via json. Be sure to try FreeMote v1.3 when it comes to release (or the CI build for now), it's 10x faster (especially for SCN) than FreeMote v1.2.

• 8 months later...