Please recommend some good english RPGs that can be played on an old laptop.

Ryleona

Please, for the love of all that is good in this world, no terrible machine translations. Please. I'm begging you. So far i've played

Kamidori(really enjoyed it)

Himegari(dropped because I couldn't even read the story past a certain point)

Bunny Black 1 & 2(fuck I hate random encounter. So damn much. I had to save after every single fight because I was afraid my party would get wiped by 9 Holy Flames or Zephyrs)

Tears to Tiara(It was ok)

Ikusa Magami Zero(JuSt LiKe DaRk SoUlS)

Not really picky about the strength of the story or the genre. Will give anything that seems interesting a look over.

Edited by Ryleona

There is the entire Rance series. I think you should be able to play every Rance title released so far in English if your computer can handle Kamidori. Also it's the only good VN/RPG hybrid I can think of, which you haven't mentioned already.

17 minutes ago, Ryleona said:

I heard people talking about. I heard a lot of miked opinions though.

It differs greatly depending on point of view. Considering you aim for the RPG style, I think you should give it a go.

Another title which should be mentioned here is Lightning Warrior Raidy. It doesn't stand out as "the best", but it's likely still worth mentioning here.

Venus Blood Frontier: excellent SRPG gameplay, action-based storytelling focusing on a protagonist that can be either an anti-hero or a villain based on player choices, copious and well-integrated ero (which is also avoidable).  There's an ADV demo available and a gameplay demo should be out in a few weeks.  Support the Kickstarter if you want more excellent gameplay eroge like this. 

Edited by sanahtlig

9 hours ago, Ryleona said:

Ikusa Magami Zero(JuSt LiKe DaRk SoUlS)

Dark Souls doesn't have a story, and you can't call that 'patch' a translation... it is a fantasy made up by idiots who made a failed attempt to clean up a google translate result.

The Trails of series is on Steam.

My favorite old school tactical rpg was Der Langrisser. Here's a link to the translation patch: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1147/

When I spent a year studying abroad in Hokkaido and was all snowed in during the weekends, I'd wait till the middle of the night and sneak to the university, trying all the doors and windows until I found one left unlocked. Our clubroom (The International Culture Club) hid our key somewhere I could find it. I'd use the PC in there with a flash drive I carried around that had an SNES simulator and the translated Der Langrisser on it. I'd stay up all night in the club room playing it. Good memories.

Sadly, I never heard any gunshots or ran into Saya.

Edited by Corrupted
edit for little busters reference

I will third the Trails in the Sky trilogy, it's that good and can be run on just about anything (I wonder if anyone could get it to work on a VIC-20).

Would also recommend Baldur's Gate (still need to get around to playing 2), but with at the very least these mods to make the recruitable characters more interesting:

https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG1NPC/releases

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/bg1ub/releases

plus this is the only extra NPC mod I'd recommend for it:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/42721/npc-mod-sirene-npc-for-bg-ee-v1-1/p1

I'm not even sure the VIC-20 could hold a single one of the sprites in its 10K of RAM. Never mind the single-button joystick.  Or the fact that Trails in the Sky's text would fill up dozens of floppies even if compressed**.  I can see it now... I walk up to a townsperson, press FIRE to open the menu, then select TALK, but this NPC isn't on the same disk as the NPC I just talked to.  The game prompts me to INSERT DISK #28.

** - The successor system, the Commodore 64, had floppies with 190K of space per side.  But you can't fill it entirely with text.  Because the machine has such low RAM, you'd have to store the game program and some of the graphics on each disk.  You'd end up with a lot less than 190K of usable space for dialog when you were done.

Hmm... If you don't mind Ryleonacould you please your old laptop specs so we could better gauge your PCs capability and what games/visual novels it may run. It's at least has 1GB RAM right? 

Anyways I recommend Recettear An Item Shop Tale and Chantelise A Tale Two Sisters since they'll work on pretty old PCs without any problems. 

I play them from time to time in the office with since we got no Internet access and the only way to pass time is to play games aside from doing occasional paperwork:wahaha: