Mangagamer Otakon 2018 Announcement

littleshogun

The announcements look okay, my thoughts with each:

1) The Expression Amrilato

It at least looks good and the concept is interesting, though the fact that it's all ages and the alternate world doesn't look that different from ours means it won't be high on my to play list.

2) Fxxx Me Royally!

Looks and sounds funny, definitely looking forward to this.

3) Byakko

The rocket designing part has me interested and I'll give this a look eventually, though I can't help but wonder is there any eroge where the protagonist joins a club and it isn't in danger of closing? <_<

4) Beat Angel Escaslayer R

Looks good enough and I did like Beat Blades Haruka, so if it's anything like that it'll at least be entertaining

13 hours ago, Veshurik said:

Someone helped them?

Sorry, you mean, someone helped them goes bankrupt?! Mangagamer?!

Or what? Sorry, I can't understand what the image it is and what it describes.

Erm, to be clear here, VonKlaus did not mean someone helped them go bankrupt, VonKlaus is suggesting that someone helped them recover from bankruptcy (basically, that someone saved them). He is also guessing that maybe it was MangaGamer who helped them.

I don't know if this is true. It's possible that Chuable is still bankrupt. Just because MG is publishing more of their games doesn't necessarily mean that Chuable has been saved. People should also understand that a bankrupt company doesn't just suddenly cease to exist. Chuable's situation seemed very complicated and it clearly put MG in a similarly complicated position, otherwise they would've published SukiSuki ages ago.

11 hours ago, SaintOfVoid said:

of course someone else is inevitably getting the rights to all of their ip´s in case of a bankruptcy, like creditors/debt holders for example. this usually doesnt terminate existing licenses in the process, but companies holding onto these are then forced to work out whom to consult when facing all sorts of shenanigans , btw asking for support etc etc etc. whilst technical not impossible getting licenses of dead-ish companies, this might funtamentically aggravate everything, even more so in cases of rights being transfered to anyone who´s totally not involved in anything galge, eg. credit institutes etc, therefore unable of lending localizer XY a helping hand when a sudden need arises.

The way MangaGamer tends to license things is by paying little money up-front but paying out royalties to the license holders. If the license holder happened to change hands, MG would have to establish relations with the new license holder, and the new license holder oftentimes has the right to cancel the contract, meaning you have to renegotiate everything. That's if the license changed hands. It's also possible that Chuable was meant to do a large amount of the technical work and suddenly couldn't. We probably won't ever find out unless MG or Chuable ever goes into detail over what happened, which they probably won't. It would be an interesting read if they did, though.

8 minutes ago, Decay said:

Erm, to be clear here, VonKlaus did not mean someone helped them go bankrupt, VonKlaus is suggesting that someone helped them recover from bankruptcy (basically, that someone saved them). He is also guessing that maybe it was MangaGamer who helped them.

I don't know if this is true. It's possible that Chuable is still bankrupt. Just because MG is publishing more of their games doesn't necessarily mean that Chuable has been saved. People should also understand that a bankrupt company doesn't just suddenly cease to exist. Chuable's situation seemed very complicated and it clearly put MG in a similarly complicated position, otherwise they would've published SukiSuki ages ago.

The way MangaGamer tends to license things is by paying little money up-front but paying out royalties to the license holders. If the license holder happened to change hands, MG would have to establish relations with the new license holder, and the new license holder oftentimes has the right to cancel the contract, meaning you have to renegotiate everything. That's if the license changed hands. It's also possible that Chuable was meant to do a large amount of the technical work and suddenly couldn't. We probably won't ever find out unless MG or Chuable ever goes into detail over what happened, which they probably won't. It would be an interesting read if they did, though.

But since they have just licensed a new one then it should stand to reason that Sukisuki should have been given the go ahead by now. 

32 minutes ago, Decay said:

Well, it's unknown when exactly they licensed this new one. But the fact that they announced it means that whatever issues they ran into with ChuableSoft's bankruptcy have been cleared up, yeah.

It's interesting that they chose to license a 2nd ChuableSoft title especially one of this size, when they didn't manage to release the first one and see how it would do in terms of sales.

8 minutes ago, Nier said:

It's interesting that they chose to license a 2nd ChuableSoft title especially one of this size, when they didn't manage to release the first one and see how it would do in terms of sales.

Well both of the games are totally different styles and share really nothing in common...

Kotonoha Amrilato!!!!

YES, YES & FINALLY YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

More Yuri VN's and I was really hoping that Mangagmer will bring it out to the west!!!

I am really happy about that announcement, because I didn't think they would do it.

Now we are getting 3 Yuri VN's from MG, hopefully soon. Until we get Flowers part3 from JAST USA, I can read those :wub::wub::wub:

I personally find MG's otakon announcements to be fairly disappointing, but I'm somewhat used to that already.

Byakko is nice though, especially since we haven't had a real plotge/galge announcement from MG for more than a year. People do say that Hanno Shuusei is a decent writer.

To be honest, I'm still pretty skeptical that Kotonoha Amrilato will turn out okay. I usually don't fall for the "impossible to translate kamige" meme but the very nature of this game makes it extremely hard to translate. It's not just about overcoming a language barrier, but it's very specifically about approaching and learning Esperanto from the perspective of a Japanese speaker, and the similarities and differences between the two languages. There will be a lot of rewriting involved. Like, a whole lot.

I feel like it's the kind of work that only means anything when read in the language it was originally written in, and that any "proper" translation for it would just be a completely different thing. It's a rather confusing choice of license for MG when you consider that.

Edited by Decay

1 minute ago, Decay said:

To be honest, I'm still pretty skeptical that Kotonoha Amrilato will turn out okay. I usually don't fall for the "impossible to translate kamige" meme but the very nature of this game makes it extremely hard to translate. It's not just about overcoming a language barrier, but it's very specifically about approaching and learning Esperanto from the perspective of a Japanese speaker, and the ways the similarities and differences between the two languages. There will be a lot of rewriting involved. Like, a whole lot.

I didn't know this. Interesting to hear. Do we know who will be working on it? (i.e. TL, editor?)

8 hours ago, Decay said:

To be honest, I'm still pretty skeptical that Kotonoha Amrilato will turn out okay. I usually don't fall for the "impossible to translate kamige" meme but the very nature of this game makes it extremely hard to translate. It's not just about overcoming a language barrier, but it's very specifically about approaching and learning Esperanto from the perspective of a Japanese speaker, and the similarities and differences between the two languages. There will be a lot of rewriting involved. Like, a whole lot.

I feel like it's the kind of work that only means anything when read in the language it was originally written in, and that any "proper" translation for it would just be a completely different thing. It's a rather confusing choice of license for MG when you consider that.

The game is apparently also coming out officially in chinese too. Maybe MangaGamer was approached by SukeraSparo rather than the other way around? Their only game was Amrilato so far and it's All-Age, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted their game to have a worldwide release in all the major languages (which would be Chinese and English).

They even retweeted MangaGamer tweet about the game announcement on their twitter.

They also have another game coming this year called "Itsuka no Memoraĵo", which is a prequel to Amrilato and is All Ages as well.