Looking For Caretaker Vibe

Corrupted

4 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Well 'great' would be a hard one. Unfortuantely, the majority of VN's aren't exactly blessed with those types of protagonists.

I think Tokyo Babel had a pretty good protagonist and Suguha from Chusingura too - especially in the later chapers. The Overdrive VN's like Kira Kira, Edelweiss or Dengeki Stryker usually have decent protagonists as well. Kanon had a great one, but you're better off watching the anime since the VN is ancient now. I personally also liked the one from Koihime Musou and Da Capo 2 but I wouldn't go so far to call them great.

If you're also fine with adult ones, then Gii from Sekien no Inganock, Reiji from Kara no Shojo 1 & 2, Hakuoro from Utawarerumono and Ryou from Eden are good. (Eden also a has strong caretaker theme, but it's very sad)

Those are just notification sounds if you were quoted, mentioned or got a post reaction. I guess you can desctivate them in your profile settings if you don't like them.

I suppose I'd settle for protagonists that are at least not terrible. I've had just as much fun with ones with no personality as ones with good personality. It's the cringy and pointlessly malicious ones that throw me off.

Or perhaps when they're 100% conservative and boring and embarrassed by everything every other character does. Or straight up hesitating and rejecting everything others propose and having to be dragged into it. I'm starting to get that vibe from hoshimemo's MC and it's making me sad.

Edited by Corrupted

On 8/2/2018 at 4:05 PM, Corrupted said:

Did the Chrono Clock sister route and shed a couple predictable tears. Just finished the Hishomemo intro (wew serious goosebumps). I do believe that I may be on the verge of understanding why "imoutos" seem to have such an enthusiastic fanbase o.0. Chinami is so cute imma die. So far, the MC does seem to have a bit of a patient guardian aspect to him so this is very promising. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Why must Hoshimemo make Chinami the most painfully wonderful adorable thing ever then torture me by not making her route immediately available? aaagghhhhh

(I mean maybe I'm just failing to find it, obviously don't tell me if that's the truth or anything else about the game. I must do things the right way!)

Not that I'm not enjoying the rest of the game. I guess delayed gratification is where it's at. 2 routes in so far and it's pretty grand.

There's this one dream reapery soundtrack when Mare first appears that that has "ooohhs" like someone's voice in it and it is so badass that I want to google it on youtube or such, but I'm terrified of accidentally finding spoilers upon my google search or in the actual names of sound tracks (it happened to me before). If anyone is exceptionally bored and wants to spoil me by linking that one soundtrack I'd be grateful.

11 hours ago, Tamaki Sakura said:

Da Capo has some routes that fit the bill.

Sharin no Kuni has you "taking care" of the heroines, but as more of a case manager.

Sharin no Kuni has an interesting premise, makes me think a little of Psychopass.

I only see two heroines in De Capo on the cover art, which is promising...I really enjoyed how School Days only had two primary heroines and instead focused on the many different ways things could play out with them. Plenty of things I also hated about that system, but still. I'm definitely in the "Love to Hate" category of opinion concerning School Days.

For those that continue to feel like helping me out with suggestions and making this useful reference thread for me and hopefully otherse...

1. What are some games with enjoyable jealousy? You pick one path, and get to enjoy the reactions of the characters from the path you didn't pick, essentially. It's hard to say what I enjoy about it, but I'm going to guess if you know what I mean, than you know what I mean. Perhaps it's a little bit of a sadistic enjoyment.

2. What are some games with complicated plot paths like School Days? So, instead of just, 5 characters = 5 paths perhaps with bad endings, it's like there's a lot of little decisions you make that can lead to a lot of different potential outcomes. I love that complexity. CLANNAD had tons of decisions and potential to fall off path options as you go and you didn't quite know when you were stuck on a path - it wasn't the complexity level of School Days in which a certain amount of time passes and all kinds of things can happen in that time, but it was another example of enjoyable complexity.

8 hours ago, Corrupted said:

Sharin no Kuni has an interesting premise, makes me think a little of Psychopass.

I only see two heroines in De Capo on the cover art, which is promising...I really enjoyed how School Days only had two primary heroines and instead focused on the many different ways things could play out with them. Plenty of things I also hated about that system, but still. I'm definitely in the "Love to Hate" category of opinion concerning School Days.

For those that continue to feel like helping me out with suggestions and making this useful reference thread for me and hopefully otherse...

1. What are some games with enjoyable jealousy? You pick one path, and get to enjoy the reactions of the characters from the path you didn't pick, essentially. It's hard to say what I enjoy about it, but I'm going to guess if you know what I mean, than you know what I mean. Perhaps it's a little bit of a sadistic enjoyment.

2. What are some games with complicated plot paths like School Days? So, instead of just, 5 characters = 5 paths perhaps with bad endings, it's like there's a lot of little decisions you make that can lead to a lot of different potential outcomes. I love that complexity. CLANNAD had tons of decisions and potential to fall off path options as you go and you didn't quite know when you were stuck on a path - it wasn't the complexity level of School Days in which a certain amount of time passes and all kinds of things can happen in that time, but it was another example of enjoyable complexity.

To elaborate on enjoyable jealousy, enjoyable reactions to developed relations in general would be cool. For example: Grisaia always (except in the case of Michiru, disappointingly) had an awesome reaction scene where everyone talks about the MC and the heroine hooking up (In KKK clothes, mysteriously). Another good example is how everyone reacts to the Twin Route in If My Heart Had Wings (In retrospect I hated a couple routes and loved a couple routes of that game). Just finished Hoshimemo imouto route and weeewwwww it was great! Truly great. Disappointingly - no reaction scenes. 

Finished Hoshimemo. Loved it. Such unexpected depth. Such multi-generational worldbuilding. Such non-obvious plot exposition. Such priceless imouto. 

The only thing I didn't like:

Spoiler

Was how pushy/rapey the MC was with Aoi and especially Yume. I can think of a couple ways that the game at least tries to justify it and fit it into the narrative, but it still made me feel very dirty. Chinami may have not been informed consent, but at least she was enthusiastic consent and obviously willing to proceed without knowing the details. Aoi's was an uncharacteristic acceptance in a situation where she seemed too pressured. Yume straight up said no a million times, in no uncertain terms, and pushing her into it actually led to her freakin' death. Conversely, the tiny Mare was totally informed and enthusiastic about her consent and it made me feel better that she was the final path and not Yume. (totally ignoring the physical impossibility of the penetrative intercourse, of course. I mean, she's an Astral Deity/projection of one, so why the hell not)

-below spoilers of Grisaia and Chrono Cross-
I am sure I could enjoy a rape scene if it's actually SUPPOSED to be one, but these date-rape-type scenes are somehow way more disturbing than the goriest intentional rape scene to me. For example Grisaia's Amane deflowering I find disturbing, while Crono Crosses mindfuck rape scene was totally in character for the sociopathic MC and, while disturbing, felt acceptable.

I was lukewarm about little sister paths before, but no longer. I would like to directly ask if there are other games with imouto paths as good as Chinami. Her "Eternal Love" alternate voice acting was like woah. I did play Chrono Clock's imouto path and it was pretty solid, although the game itself with its simplicity feels like babyfood compared to Hoshimemo.

This long category game is a good deal bigger than the last several medium/smaller category games I played and I suppose that's why it was able to have more enjoyable worldbuilding. It puts me back in the mood for another very long game of high quality (and thus probably non-hentai).

For that, I'm eyeballing Ever17 and Steins Gate, currently. Either that or another good imouto game. 

On 8/2/2018 at 1:25 PM, ChaosRaven said:

Yeah, I was literally fuming in those scenes as well. Most people didn't seem to care though. Still, I didn't really hate Yuuji but he's certainly far from my favorite.

Given our previous exchange, I'm curious what you think of the Hoshimemo, if you've played it, in regards to my previous post's spoiler text.

Edited by Corrupted

2 hours ago, Corrupted said:

I would like to directly ask if there are other games with imouto paths as good as Chinami.

I didn't play Hoshimemo, so I don't know how they compare, however as for imouto routes in general (from the VNs I've read), there is one in WagaHigh and SakuSaku.

Edited by adamstan

I feel bad about how spammy and off topic this post became, so to redeem it I'm going to summarize the questions and answers here. If you see a mistake or would like to add something, feel free to say so. I think I'll start a new thread in VN discussions to continue discussing about stuff I have played, so as to stop spamming the recommendations forum with non-recommendation talk. Thank you all for your wonderful recommendations. 

Suggestions for Caretaker Vibe: 

Air, Sekien no Inganock,  Ourai no Gahkthun,  Maitetsu, Nekopara, Chrono Clock, Hoshimemo, Da Capo, Sharin no Kuni

Suggestions for Imouto:

Chrono Clock, Hoshimemo,  WagaHigh and SakuSaku.

Suggestions for Strong Protagonist:

Tokyo Babel, Chusingura, Overdrive VN's like Kira Kira, Edelweiss or Dengeki Stryker, Kanon (anime preferred), Koihime Musou, Da Capo 2,  Sekien no Inganock, Kara no Shoujo 1 + 2, Utawarerumono , Eden

Suggestions for Non-Translated Yandere

Koi suru Doll to Omoi no Kiseki, Gleam Garden no Shoujo, Gun Knight Girl, End Sleep

Suggestions for Non-Translated Caretaker: 

Inochi no Spare, Karenai Sekai to Owaru Hana, Sakura Nikagetsu

Edited by Corrupted

On 8/7/2018 at 11:21 AM, ChaosRaven said:

It's one of my favorite nakiges, along with Da Capo 2 and Clannad. Though my favorite imouto type character is probably Mayuki from Comyu.

Since CLANNAD is also one of my favs and I've heard Da Capo recommended so many times, I guess this means it's time to play it.

What I accomplished after finished Hoshimemo:

-Finished G-Senjou and enjoyed it.

-Got bored with Chrono Clock, again.

-Accidentally downloaded an RPG (Evenicle) and was really surprised at how good it is so far as a visual novel. Lots of "Ichaicha", which might just be my favorite thing. 

-Enjoyed a Kotonoha vs DDLC Yuri rap battle on Youtube.

-Tried KurukuruFanatic - the schizophrenic girl's path was actually kinda interesting, but the game wasn't enough to play more than once.

I don't think I'm going to always be in the mood for an RPG, despite how good it is...think I might just bank on us having similar tastes and grab Da Capo right now. (I assume I need to play 1 before 2). Could you link me to Comyu? I stuck that in VNDB and got nada.

Edited by Corrupted

On 8/7/2018 at 11:21 AM, ChaosRaven said:

It's one of my favorite nakiges, along with Da Capo 2 and Clannad. Though my favorite imouto type character is probably Mayuki from Comyu.

Should I start with Da Capo 2? Or completely finish Da Capo 1 first? Or just do one playthrough of Da Capo 1? What's your suggestion for maximum enjoyment, being someone who enjoys the game?

9 hours ago, Corrupted said:

Should I start with Da Capo 2? Or completely finish Da Capo 1 first? Or just do one playthrough of Da Capo 1? What's your suggestion for maximum enjoyment, being someone who enjoys the game?

Da Capo 2 can be considered almost a remake of Da Capo 1, since story and characters are similar, just vastly improved. I'd therefore just skip Da Capo and go straight for Da Capo 2.

Edited by ChaosRaven

3 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Da Capo 2 can be considered almost a remake of Da Capo 1, since story and characters are similar just vastly improved. I'd therefore just skip Da Capo and go straight for Da Capo 2.

Ok I think that's what I'm going to do.

Spoiler

I kinda felt like I wanted to quit because the game was going both slowly and sadly. That girl just keep puking sakura petals. I think it's going to haunt me that I didn't finish the game and get catharsis. But that's ok. I started up Da Capo 2 just now and got that thrill of starting a new VN and watching the intro sequence and thinking "woah so many characters I can't wait to meet them!"

@Corrupted

All 3 Da Capo main games doesn't have too much in common except for Sakura. Unlike, say, the rance series, playing the previous entries isn't a prerequisite and you can start with whatever entries you like (main series only).

However, I would strongly suggest (like chaosraven) that you skip the original Da Capo (unless you can read non-english VNs, then you may choose to read D.C.P.C which is superior to the only title, if only in one major way) as it's an extremely dated and relatively expensive VN.

The Mangagmer version sells for $30 USD. For this, you get an 9 years old VN which (obviously) has a dated engine. The story also tends to to be pretty jarring, sometimes cutting from 1 scene to the next with adequate explanation. The H-scenes are some of the worst I have ever seen in a VN. They are very brief and isn't incorporated into the story very well at all, and is next to pointless to the story in the routes.

The main thing is the route selections. There are a total of 23 (this from memory. Not to sure whether or not it's 100% accurate. Anyway should be close enough lol) scenes to choose from in order to go into a character's route and there are absolutely no indication which path leads into which route (This is not an issue in D.C.P.C however). I had to make a manual route MS word entry myself in order to go into a route. It's the first time I had ever done that and it's tedious AF (don't ask me why I didn't consult a guide on the net. I would like to know myself :vinty:)

You can get a lot of other better VNs for a small topup to Da Capo's asking price. I suggest you avoid it

Edited by phantomJS

10 hours ago, phantomJS said:

@Corrupted

All 3 Da Capo main games doesn't have too much in common except for Sakura. Unlike, say, the rance series, playing the previous entries isn't a prerequisite and you can start with whatever entries you like (main series only).

However, I would strongly suggest (like chaosraven) that you skip the original Da Capo (unless you can read non-english VNs, then you may choose to read D.C.P.C which is superior to the only title, if only in one major way) as it's an extremely dated and relatively expensive VN.

The Mangagmer version sells for $30 USD. For this, you get an 9 years old VN which (obviously) has a dated engine. The story also tends to to be pretty jarring, sometimes cutting from 1 scene to the next with adequate explanation. The H-scenes are some of the worst I have ever seen in a VN. They are very brief and isn't incorporated into the story very well at all, and is next to pointless to the story in the routes.

The main thing is the route selections. There are a total of 23 (this from memory. Not to sure whether or not it's 100% accurate. Anyway should be close enough lol) scenes to choose from in order to go into a character's route and there are absolutely no indication which path leads into which route (This is not an issue in D.C.P.C however). I had to make a manual route MS word entry myself in order to go into a route. It's the first time I had ever done that and it's tedious AF (don't ask me why I didn't consult a guide on the net. I would like to know myself :vinty:)

You can get a lot of other better VNs for a small topup to Da Capo's asking price. I suggest you avoid it

I appreciate all these tips! I'm skipping forward to Da Capo 2 now. In fact:

Spoiler

I just got to the "winter" section and it played that intro video. I screamed in fury outloud, no lie. Because I seriously thought the game was ending, that I had finished the path I was on. I was gonna come back and say how the hell is this supposed to be better than CLANNAD. But then the game kept going. Rofl material, here.

2 hours ago, Corrupted said:

Is it just me or does Da Capo 2 feel stretched out when I fullscreen it? Got some wide faces up in here, and I can't figure out how to fix it.

Just tried it again for you on my desktop. Did not encounter this problem.

I think it might be your hardware. If it's too old (perhaps you are using a old laptop?) or something, then there's nothing much we can do. Only couple of things I can think of is try updating your GPU's driver or reading it on windowed mode.

Quick system specs of my desktop for your references

Dell P2214H Monitor

Intel 6700k CPU

Palit 1070ti Dual GPU

16G DDR4 ram

Windows 10 build 1803