Looking For Caretaker Vibe

Corrupted

I searched through the forums first but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I think I'm probably just missing out on the needed Jargon or category name. If you can point me to a previously established thread I'll happily delete this one, if possible.

I'm looking for something with a caretaker vibe...or perhaps just a needy or dependent heroine? A protect and nurture vibe? A parental/child vibe? A puppy dog vibe?

I don't consider this much of a spoiler, but if you don't want to hear anything about "If My Heart Had Wings" then perhaps don't read this paragraph. On Kotori's path (wheelchair girl) there's these scenes of brushing her hair, helping her into the bathtub, pushing her wheelchair, her always looking extra cute from the upward angle looking at you from her wheelchair, her rushing over to hold your hand when you get back to tell you she missed you, staring out her door waiting for you to pass by when you get out of the shower so she can drag you into her room for a kiss.

Stuff like that! So cute imma die. That's what I'm looking for. Got some feels from Katawa Shoujo as well, I think disability might be a good potential candidate. Something with a younger sister/daughter like character perhaps, although I've seen many such characters that are almost opposite in nature, as if compensating for their littleness with fierce independence (Like Makina from Grisaia). Hopefully this was enough vague description that someone will think "Aha! I know what you're going for here!" and recommend a title. I also love the extreme loyalty vibe that comes with Yandere characters, just throwing that out there in case it also fits in with some title someone might think of.

Thank you for you time!

Edited by Corrupted

Uuuhmmm... Nekopara? The owner-pet dynamic is real there and creepy AF. :P TBH, everything that comes to my mind now is rather creepy. Some Maitetsu routes should have a lot of that, but it's a pretty hardcore loli game and might be uncomfortable to read even in Steam version. Hishomemo is said to have a good imouto route. Chrono Clock has a disabled sister heroine (both this and Hoshimemo seem to have genuine incest scenarios, instead of that "we're secretly not related" stuff).

Thank you kindly for your responses, everyone. After reading the disclaimers in the above comments, I feel that I should specify that extreme content of any kind is fine by me. I'd prioritize a "good" VN over any content preference. Guro loli rape bestiality bdsm? Vanilla and ends with a kiss? Both are fine by me. I'm pretty open-minded. I just want to laugh and cry and go daww, you know? (ok, maybe fap a little too). I am still a wee VN babby, with 15ish VNs behind my belt (listed in my profile). I don't want to hold myself back from new experiences just because they aren't my cup of tea yet.

The only thing I can think that I so far learned that I want to avoid is really outdated graphics (I immediately tried to play Kanon after CLANNAD and cringed out of it quickly - does this make me a bad person?) and inevitable bad or depressing ends without the option of a good ending to fix my feelings (I'm a sensitive lad. I want catharsis, not depression). 

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

I think the protagonist of Grisaia can be considered a caretaker for the heroines even if he's a bit of a weirdo himself.

And the protagonist of Sekien no Inganock which I'm currently reading is definitely a caretaker for Keea.

Simliar thing in Ourai no Gahkthun with Neon and Tesla.

I could write pages on how much I hate the protagonist from Grisaia. Sachi (and to a degree Michiru) redeemed that series for me, though. This does remind me that I need more hyper loyal maids in my life. (Suggestions welcomed)

Spoiler

Grisaia Spoilers: The way he took Amane's virginity was horrifying. It's the kind of thing I would fap to if I didn't have empathy for the heroine, but since I did, I'm kinda scarred from it. I also preferred the bad end on Sachi's path because WTF was he even doing? What was that completely bogus mental manipulation therapy he was attempting? There's no way that shoulda ended well. 

As for Sekien no Inganock, my heart just went doki doki a little just from that cover picture. A dark DD/lg vibe is definitely up my ally...please, please tell me those two characters get romantically involved? *shame*

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Uuuhmmm... Nekopara? The owner-pet dynamic is real there and creepy AF. :P TBH, everything that comes to my mind now is rather creepy. Some Maitetsu routes should have a lot of that, but it's a pretty hardcore loli game and might be uncomfortable to read even in Steam version. Hishomemo is said to have a good imouto route. Chrono Clock has a disabled sister heroine (both this and Hoshimemo seem to have genuine incest scenarios, instead of that "we're secretly not related" stuff).

Holy crapoly, I just downloaded Chrono Clock on the spot. That sounds heckin' cool! Time Travel? Disabled Sister? Unf 

Serious, if embarrassing, question: Could you elaborate on what a "hard core loli game" means? Or would that be pushing the boundaries of polite society?

I may have to give Nekopara a try. I've been wondering if pet-play type stuff might be up my alley. I currently can't imagine what "the owner pet dynamic is real and creepy" even means...I feel an uncomfortable curiosity.

I've been trying new stuff all day, and just played through the Hishimemo intro a couple hours ago. I was wow'd by the music and unexpected image there. Felt like I was watching an anime more than playing a VN. 

5 hours ago, Corrupted said:

Serious, if embarrassing, question: Could you elaborate on what a "hard core loli game" means? Or would that be pushing the boundaries of polite society?

To my understanding the scenes in Maitetsu are vanilla, the hardcore part probably comes from the characters looking very young even by loli standards.

I may have to give Nekopara a try. I've been wondering if pet-play type stuff might be up my alley. I currently can't imagine what "the owner pet dynamic is real and creepy" even means...I feel an uncomfortable curiosity.

It is probably way more vanilla than you think. The catgirls actually belong to his little sisters who seems to have picked up abandoned catgirls, at least Chocola and Vanilla were abandoned when they found them. Chocola and Vanilla grew really close to the main character and decided that he would be their master when he moved out. While he is their master they were the ones who chose it and he is just doing his best to take care of them, also they are the ones pushing for sex, so it is not like he is treating them like sex slaves or anything. But he can at least be considered a caretaker for them so it might fit what you are looking for in that regard.

Also I would recommend you make a vndb account to keep track on the titles you have gone through, on vndb you can also make wishlists for the VNs that seem interesting that you might want to play in the future. It is also easier for people to see the VNs you have completed than having them listed on the about me page of course you also then need to have the link to your vndb account on fuwanovel.

Edited by bakauchuujin

Inochi no Spare is a decent choice, though it is incredibly sad.

Koi suru Doll to Omoi no Kiseki has an excellent yandere heroine (Towa).

Gleam Garden no Shoujo has some serious yan moments, as well as the heroines being dependent on the protagonist for their very survival if they don't want to be lobotimized.

Gun Knight Girl has two yandere of differing types (one is an extreme masochist, the other is a standard yandere).

End Sleep has one of the most terrifyingly psychotic yangire/yandere heroines I've ever seen (a match for Mirai Nikki's heroine)

17 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

To my understanding the scenes in Maitetsu are vanilla, the hardcore part probably comes from the characters looking very young even by loli standards.

It is probably way more vanilla than you think. The catgirls actually belong to his little sisters who seems to have picked up abandoned catgirls, at least Chocola and Vanilla were abandoned when they found them. Chocola and Vanilla grew really close to the main character and decided that he would be their master when he moved out. While he is their master they were the ones who chose it and he is just doing his best to take care of them, also they are the ones pushing for sex, so it is not like he is treating them like sex slaves or anything. But he can at least be considered a caretaker for them so it might fit what you are looking for in that regard.

Also I would recommend you make a vndb account to keep track on the titles you have gone through, on vndb you can also make wishlists for the VNs that seem interesting that you might want to play in the future. It is also easier for people to see the VNs you have completed than having them listed on the about me page of course you also then need to have the link to your vndb account on fuwanovel.

Advice taken! It was a little tedius, but I made a VNDB account and put my list there. I believe it should be showing up and clickable next to my avatar/profile image now. What a fantastic resource VNDB is! I've been kinda stressing about how I, myself, would keep track of what I've read. This will help a lot! I'm looking forward to putting everything I'm interested in on that wish list so I can quit stressing about trying to keep track of all the details (I'm a data analyst that tends towards over-analysis-paralysis).

15 hours ago, Clephas said:

Inochi no Spare is a decent choice, though it is incredibly sad.

Koi suru Doll to Omoi no Kiseki has an excellent yandere heroine (Towa).

Gleam Garden no Shoujo has some serious yan moments, as well as the heroines being dependent on the protagonist for their very survival if they don't want to be lobotimized.

Gun Knight Girl has two yandere of differing types (one is an extreme masochist, the other is a standard yandere).

End Sleep has one of the most terrifyingly psychotic yangire/yandere heroines I've ever seen (a match for Mirai Nikki's heroine)

Thank you for the response, Mr. Board Mod. I've run across your posts frequently when browsing. I saw you respond to someone asking about a list of your favorite VNs by recommending that they go through your blog. I attempted to do so to find that list and gave up because you have so many posts lol.

Previously I could only find School Days and Cross Channel when looking for good Yandere characters. I'm very excited that you've just listed 4-5 new novels that I haven't even heard of and I'm looking forward to browsing them. 

Edited by Corrupted

8 minutes ago, Corrupted said:

1. What are the rules as far as asking about pirated games or the sources thereof? 

2. What are the rules about asking discussing extreme content like loli and bestiality? 

3. What are the rules about discussing spoilers?

Feel free to chastise me and direct me towards an obvious rules post that I may have overlooked.

Again, thank you for your time.

As for spoiler just use the spoiler thing shaped as an eye.

On 7/31/2018 at 6:15 PM, Plk_Lesiak said:

I played through the Chrono Clock sister route today.

Spoiler

Short but sweet. When the sister wakes up the MC once a week and asks permission to touch his face and chest - my favorite part. I love that he holds her hand and leads her to school, and when she got jealous. It just made me want more caretakery stuff; really, she was quite independent and strong willed and the caretakery stuff was at a minimum. I enjoyed her more because she was the aggressively devoted jealous type that never blames the man (probably my favorite category of heroine, not sure what to call it, maybe yandere-ish). I had hoped the time travel was more of a dynamic, and that the game was longer, but I'm not disappointed at all. It's great for the short length, and it reminded me that blindness is probably my favorite disability. I really didn't know where the game was going to go for a while, I was wondering if you'd hook up with the daughter character for a bit, but then it turned out to be extremely tame with only one boob shot of the sister. Didn't matter though - it was about the feels, not the sexy. A little cupcake of bittersweet. Thank you for the suggestion.

4 hours ago, Corrupted said:

Thank you for the response, Mr. Board Mod. I've run across your posts frequently when browsing. I saw you respond to someone asking about a list of your favorite VNs by recommending that they go through your blog. I attempted to do so to find that list and gave up because you have so many posts lol.

Previously I could only find School Days and Cross Channel when looking for good Yandere characters. I'm very excited that you've just listed 4-5 new novels that I haven't even heard of and I'm looking forward to browsing them. 

There are reasons... one reason is that relatively few yandere heroines exist in non-rape VNs.  Another reason is that very few writers can handle a believably yandere heroine, so most don't even try.

Another reason why you wouldn't find these just by cross-referencing on vndb is that you were probably looking through non-obscure translated ones... and these are obscure untranslated for the most part.

Inochi no Spare is emotionally intense and agonizing for the characters involved, but it is also the one that fits the 'caretaker' vibe the most directly.   There are some VNs where things are reversed (the protagonist is being taken care of for various reasons), but the heroine-centric nature of most VNs has relegated the disabled heroine to a minor sub-genre tag.

End Sleep is also a horror-mystery, so you might have trouble with it if you can't stand guro.

If you don't mind a bit more subtlety (the psychological vs the physical caretaking), I'd recommend Karenai Sekai to Owaru Hana... the protagonist is so intensely selfless about taking care of the heroines that it breaks your heart almost from beginning to end.

For something more comedic, Sakura Nikagetsu is a first-class game, since the protagonist is a self-proclaimed 'fixer' of hopelessly incompetent/clumsy heroines. 

The big problem is that there just aren't that many VNs where the heroine is so maladjusted or incapable of taking care of herself in the most basic of fashions...  and in most cases, the heroines are dying, so it is less about cuteness and more about melancholy. 

58 minutes ago, Clephas said:

There are reasons... one reason is that relatively few yandere heroines exist in non-rape VNs.  Another reason is that very few writers can handle a believably yandere heroine, so most don't even try.

Another reason why you wouldn't find these just by cross-referencing on vndb is that you were probably looking through non-obscure translated ones... and these are obscure untranslated for the most part.

Inochi no Spare is emotionally intense and agonizing for the characters involved, but it is also the one that fits the 'caretaker' vibe the most directly.   There are some VNs where things are reversed (the protagonist is being taken care of for various reasons), but the heroine-centric nature of most VNs has relegated the disabled heroine to a minor sub-genre tag.

End Sleep is also a horror-mystery, so you might have trouble with it if you can't stand guro.

If you don't mind a bit more subtlety (the psychological vs the physical caretaking), I'd recommend Karenai Sekai to Owaru Hana... the protagonist is so intensely selfless about taking care of the heroines that it breaks your heart almost from beginning to end.

For something more comedic, Sakura Nikagetsu is a first-class game, since the protagonist is a self-proclaimed 'fixer' of hopelessly incompetent/clumsy heroines. 

The big problem is that there just aren't that many VNs where the heroine is so maladjusted or incapable of taking care of herself in the most basic of fashions...  and in most cases, the heroines are dying, so it is less about cuteness and more about melancholy. 

Your detailed and coherent response makes my analyst heart happy. I am lucky to have the guidance of those such as yourself in order to make the best use of my massive, immediate, and temporary windfall of hours made available to read VNs.

If I'm checking for the existence of English translation, is cross referencing this list currently the best way to do it, or would you suggest another way? https://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/11049-complete-list-of-all-english-translated-vns/

My heart hurts just from reading the VNDB description of Inochi no Spare. 

4 hours ago, Corrupted said:

Your detailed and coherent response makes my analyst heart happy. I am lucky to have the guidance of those such as yourself in order to make the best use of my massive, immediate, and temporary windfall of hours made available to read VNs.

If I'm checking for the existence of English translation, is cross referencing this list currently the best way to do it, or would you suggest another way? https://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/11049-complete-list-of-all-english-translated-vns/

Until you can understand enough Japanese to read untranslated (if you choose to learn), you are pretty much restricted to what is on that list for Japanese-made VNs...  I'm afraid there just aren't a ton of the VNs you want translated, sadly.

Edit: Just to be clear, none of my choices are translated.  If I make a suggestion, it is almost always going to be untranslated.  I figured, since you didn't specify, that you wanted choices for the future as much as for the now, so I went ahead and made a bunch of suggestions.  The vndb pages for those VNs also display whether there is a translation or not, as well.  

7 hours ago, Corrupted said:

That list is a bit dated I would recommend a list I made not long ago instead 

This only contains the ones officially released, though there have been a lot of releases the last few years. This list also have the different VNs sorted by amount of vndb votes and the average vote so it should be usefull for finding good VNs.

Edited by bakauchuujin

3 hours ago, Clephas said:

Until you can understand enough Japanese to read untranslated (if you choose to learn), you are pretty much restricted to what is on that list for Japanese-made VNs...  I'm afraid there just aren't a ton of the VNs you want translated, sadly.

Edit: Just to be clear, none of my choices are translated.  If I make a suggestion, it is almost always going to be untranslated.  I figured, since you didn't specify, that you wanted choices for the future as much as for the now, so I went ahead and made a bunch of suggestions.  The vndb pages for those VNs also display whether there is a translation or not, as well.  

I don't mind hearing about the untranslated suggestions. I'm happy to hear they exist, even if I can't access them. I can at least fantasize about them a little. I've still got a ways to go as far as learning, but I can at least follow along with the spoken Japanese a bit if there's audio lines. If I'm still around in a year, 

19 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

That list is a bit dated I would recommend a list I made not long ago instead 

This only contains the ones officially released, though there have been a lot of official releases the last few years. This list also have the different VNs sorted by amount of vndb votes and the average vote so it should be usefull for finding good VNs.

Thank you for the suggestion and your hard work, I shall bookmark it.

What's the difference between rating and popularity and votes on VNDB, btw? 

24 minutes ago, Corrupted said:

Thank you for the suggestion and your hard work, I shall bookmark it.

What's the difference between rating and popularity and votes on VNDB, btw? 

Popularity I would assume is based on the numbers of votes while rating I think is mostly about the average of the vote but also taking into consideration amount of votes so some VNs with almost no votes can't get to the top of the list.

Edited by bakauchuujin

On 1.8.2018 at 1:42 AM, Corrupted said:

I could write pages on how much I hate the protagonist from Grisaia. Sachi (and to a degree Michiru) redeemed that series for me, though. This does remind me that I need more hyper loyal maids in my life. (Suggestions welcomed)

Reveal hidden contents

Grisaia Spoilers: The way he took Amane's virginity was horrifying. It's the kind of thing I would fap to if I didn't have empathy for the heroine, but since I did, I'm kinda scarred from it. I also preferred the bad end on Sachi's path because WTF was he even doing? What was that completely bogus mental manipulation therapy he was attempting? There's no way that shoulda ended well. 

Yeah, I was literally fuming in those scenes as well. Most people didn't seem to care though. Still, I didn't really hate Yuuji but he's certainly far from my favorite.

Edited by ChaosRaven

Just now, ChaosRaven said:

Yeah, I was literally fuming in those scenes. Most people don't seem to care though. I didn't really hate Yuuji, but he's certainly far from my favorite.

Wow so it's not just me. Thanks,  that actually makes me feel a lot better about it. By the end of G3/Eden, thanks to all the quality action and lighthearted after-story, I was placated. But I still had to take a good little break from the series for a while. Sachi was my favorite character so I was doubly disappointed at how things went down. I had even saved her route for last. I more enjoyed her vengeful snark when she wasn't the heroine of a path, anyway. 

In the end, I guess it wasn't nearly as bad as 

Spoiler

MLA spoilers - 

Takeru's final scenes. Good god. MLA is still my absolute favorite VN so far regardless, but what the hell was up with him during that ending? It's like he had zero character growth, reverting to his starting point at the end there, babysitted in a giant protected cocoon while the noble women did all the work and sacrificed themselves for their unrequited love. All the heroines are reaching levels of titanic epicness but I can't for life of me see why such a whiny wet blanket such as Takeru was deserving of it.

Especially Meiya...she was way too good for him. She was too good for this world </3. A couple of her scenes and lines are my favorite of anything (offering her body for his stress, suffering listening to cutesy talk between Takeru and his lover in the practice machine cockpit). I'm currently struggling to find a link to MLA Altered so I can get the partial translation and get at least a little more Meiya in my life.

The main character is almost always what bothers me more than anything else in a VN. I must be spoiled from CLANNAD being my first real VN, with how cool Tomoya was in both CLANNAD and Tomoyo After. I have limited experience, so for all I know he's not even one of the greater protagonists. I just loved how kindness was his strongest attribute and how he sort of grew into it.

On this topic - do you have any suggestions for VNs with fantastic MC's? (or whatever you call them) 

This thread is becoming a sort of personal question and answer thread for me. I hope that is acceptable. If there's somewhere else I should place a thread like that, please let me know. I figure it's better to at least keep it all in one thread instead of spamming with new ones for each question/comment.

Next Question: I keep hearing boops. I think it's fuwanovel.net that's giving me audio boops but they keep coming on rather randomly. I can't quite determine if it's associated with me getting comment notifications, or not. Maybe the boops are just really belated or something, and it's bugging out and giving me multiple boops per comment notification. I'm concerned I'm getting IMs of some kind and can't figure out how to view them.  Any idea what I'm talking about?

On 7/31/2018 at 6:15 PM, Plk_Lesiak said:

Did the Chrono Clock sister route and shed a couple predictable tears. Just finished the Hishomemo intro (wew serious goosebumps). I do believe that I may be on the verge of understanding why "imoutos" seem to have such an enthusiastic fanbase o.0. Chinami is so cute imma die. So far, the MC does seem to have a bit of a patient guardian aspect to him so this is very promising. Thanks again for the suggestions!

On this topic - do you have any suggestions for VNs with fantastic MC's? (or whatever you call them) 

Well 'great' would be a hard one. Unfortuantely, the majority of VN's aren't exactly blessed with those types of protagonists.

I think Tokyo Babel had a pretty good protagonist and Suguha from Chusingura too - especially in the later chapers. The Overdrive VN's like Kira Kira, Edelweiss or Dengeki Stryker usually have decent protagonists as well. Kanon had a great one, but you're better off watching the anime since the VN is ancient now. I personally also liked the one from Koihime Musou and Da Capo 2 but I wouldn't go so far to call them great.

If you're also fine with adult ones, then Gii from Sekien no Inganock, Reiji from Kara no Shojo 1 & 2, Hakuoro from Utawarerumono and Ryou from Eden are good. (Eden also a has strong caretaker theme, but it's very sad)

Next Question: I keep hearing boops. I think it's fuwanovel.net that's giving me audio boops but they keep coming on rather randomly. I can't quite determine if it's associated with me getting comment notifications, or not. Maybe the boops are just really belated or something, and it's bugging out and giving me multiple boops per comment notification. I'm concerned I'm getting IMs of some kind and can't figure out how to view them.  Any idea what I'm talking about?

Those are just notification sounds if you were quoted, mentioned or got a post reaction. I guess you can desctivate them in your profile settings if you don't like them.

Edited by ChaosRaven

1 hour ago, Corrupted said:

Omgee what is this quote you have here. I am as tickled by the sass as I am confused by the meaning. 

"Especially, tears are unnecessary for eroge. Nakige are not suited for men. They are created by gays, bought by gays, gay games."

Hey, it was supposed to be a compliment! Gay games are super awesome!!! (ノ ̄ω ̄)ノ

Actually, I think it's just a quote from a VN named Princess X.