VN to read after senjou no maou

philipmikh

So, g senjou was my first vn and it was really good, kept me glued to the screen from the middle to the end, though only the main route was that interesting. Katawa shoujo was my second and in my opnion, quite overrated, filled with much unnecessary drama, but at least good enough on some routes. Looking for something with good writing, conclusive endings and i do like when there is a "canon" main route, preferably with a decent male protagonist rather than generic kun

Well, concidering that you're still pretty much a newbie, I'm going to list some must play classics as recommendations.

Grisaia no Kajitsu. It's a pretty popular VN with a great protagonist and good comedy in the common route, which depending on the route turns into decent thriller, romance or drama later on. It's generally considered a good starter VN, so I'm recommending it first. Note that the original VN technically doesn't have a true route, but there are two sequels which serve similar purpose.

Ever17. Another popular starter VN, though it's pretty old, and the translation is pretty bad. This one needs some patience, because it seems like a pretty generic anime game in the beginning, but in the end it turns into one of the best sci-fi mysteries that the current VN scene has to offer. One of the major drawbacks is that most characters, including both protagonists, are pretty generic, at least at first.

Fate Stay Night. Another must play VN, though it may be good to leave it for later. This one doesn't have a true route, but the route order is enforced, so it still reads like a conclusive story. It's a classical fantasy VN with good fantasy battles, great characters and "kind of annoying, but he gets better" main character.

Seriously, pickup Grisaia no Kajitsu this instant. You'll thank me later! It has the best writing I've read in a VN so far. It mixes outrageous comedy and sexual jokes, with some darker psychological themes.

Others you might like....

Clannad . Notable, in that nothing else will be capable of making you shed so many bittersweet tears. Actually has a canon route too.

ef - a fairy tale of the two . Has various types of relationship drama. Doesn't have any "routes", so that makes all the relationships canon.

Kono Oozora . Pretty light hearted all around.

Muv Luv . I've only read a bit of Extra, but it seems like some crazy anime style slice of life. Then there's Unlimited. Then there's the sequel Muv Luv Alternative, which is the highest rated VN of all time.

There's also Steins;Gate. Which I havn't read yet, but it's an epic sci fi plot about time travel

9 minutes ago, r0xm2n said:

Muv Luv . I've only read a bit of Extra, but it seems like some crazy anime style slice of life. Then there's Unlimited. Then there's the sequel Muv Luv Alternative, which is the highest rated VN of all time.

Hmm, I don't really think Muv Luv is a good suggestion here. I'm definitely going to recommend it, but maybe a bit later, after the OP finishes a decent amount of VNs.

Steins Gate should be fine though. I still haven't read it myself (though I watched the anime), but, from what I know about it, it should fit these criteria.

Sharin no Kuni since it's from the same developer as G-senjou. The official translation will only be out in October so you will have to make do with the fan patch.

Other recommendations include:

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors: Escape mystery with a bit of sci-fi

Ever17: Escape mystery with a bit of sci-fi

Root Double: Escape mystery with a moderate amount of sci-fi

Fate Stay Night: Magic and stuff

Rewrite: Magic and stuff, with a bit of slice-of-life

Grisaia no Kajitsu: Slice-of-life

Higurashi: Slice-of-life and thriller

I wouldn't really recommend Clannad since the main heroine isn't really interesting and the other side heroines which are interesting enough do not have particularly long routes.

Edited by wei123

If you liked G-senjou try sharin no kuni. it's from the same scenario writer and is an interesting VN with above average protagonist.

Muv Luv trilogy, don't skip the first one or quit because of the wimpy protagonist (Extra -> Unlimited -> Alternative).

Sharin no kuni

Ayakashibito

Fate/stay night "trilogy" (FS/N -> unlimited bladeworks -> heaven's feel), protagonist in this one is very annoying but try to bear with it

Princess Waltz

Bunny black (good gameplay)

Umineko & Higurashi for good soundtracks

Edited by pual

On 01/08/2018 at 5:03 AM, Azgn said:

I'm curious but how did you get the english patch for g senjou?

Had it in my pc since 2015, but i'm pretty sure it was a fan translation avaiable in vndb page rather than the retail one in steam.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations guys! Plenty of good stuff to start with

Will be reading Grisaia next as it certainly seems to be as good or even better than devil on g string.

Forgot to say i did play a bit of clannad vn, after watching the anime, just for kyou and tomoyo routes, might as well try other key vns in the future but i guess i don't want to shed any more tears for a while.

Edited by philipmikh