"Your Diary" is coming out

Antera

9 hours ago, Hetzer123 said:

Some companies (like Mikandi) might be scammed about translation quality.

Well, there is a slight difference. The Mikandi folks are native English speakers, and they had ample, well-founded feedback from the community early on that they should have been able to read and understand, to signal that they needed to axe the loc team they had and hire someone competent (who would have been delighted to get the kind of money those clowns got...). The situation with Japanese companies venturing into English localization on their own is a little different; they don't really know who to trust.

Honestly, I worry every time I see a US-based localization company looking into localizing into other languages (Chinese, etc.). I sometimes wonder if, even when those companies are producing quality English localizations and are intending to produce a quality Chinese localization, they're doing the same thing to Chinese readers that Hikari Field, Sakuragame, and now Hobibox do to us English readers.

6 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Well, there is a slight difference. The Mikandi folks are native English speakers, and they had ample, well-founded feedback from the community early on that they should have been able to read and understand, to signal that they needed to axe the loc team they had and hire someone competent (who would have been delighted to get the kind of money those clowns got...). The situation with Japanese companies venturing into English localization on their own is a little different; they don't really know who to trust.

Honestly, I worry every time I see a US-based localization company looking into localizing into other languages (Chinese, etc.). I sometimes wonder if, even when those companies are producing quality English localizations and are intending to produce a quality Chinese localization, they're doing the same thing to Chinese readers that Hikari Field, Sakuragame, and now Hobibox do to us English readers.

Reminds me of this.