"Your Diary" is coming out

Antera

5 minutes ago, kokoro said:

You're trying to ruse me, aren't you?

No, no, not me. Why would I do something like that? I am not like that, LOL.

3 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

I would say it looks like they ran the Japanese through google translate and plonked it straight in, but TBH that's doing a disservice to google translate.

It's pretty obvious it's a bad machine TL edit. Someone who doesn't speak English very well tried to make sense of it, but failed terribly. Now what they used to MTL is up for debate, but it's an MTL nonetheless.

54 minutes ago, kokoro said:

Reminds me of that guy who said official translations were objectively better than fan ones.

Yes, yes, never let @Chuee live it down!

Spoiler

1531243406360.jpg

Also holy shit at those 120deg exclamation points...

3 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

This translation actually compliments an average american's reading comprehension level.

Wut'chu say 'bout my mama!?

Edited by 1P1A

1 hour ago, Narcosis said:

This translation actually compliments an average american's reading comprehension level.

This is an important point I think. Next time someone tries to translate Cross Channel, they should do it in Trump-speak. No more problems with that complicated prose and snobbish nuance. 

"Our club worked on the roof. It was a fantastic roof. We had an antenna there. A tremendous antenna. No one had an antenna as big as ours."

1 hour ago, Infernoplex said:

Objectively, I still agree with you. Proper localization companies do indeed make better TLs than fan-translators (every other non-proper localization company is a scammer).

I honestly don't remember saying that. Of course, I agree somewhat, but with companies like MoeNovel, SakuraGame, this company, the one that TLed ChuSingura, I can't fully agree with what I may have said in the past.

Also, SP takes fan TLs and makes them official and some of those are of questionable quality, so not even the big companies get it right all the time.

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

This is an important point I think. Next time someone tries to translate Cross Channel, they should do it in Trump-speak. No more problems with that complicated prose and snobbish nuance. 

"Our club worked on the roof. It was a fantastic roof. We had an antenna there. A tremendous antenna. No one had an antenna as big as ours."

"The other roofs were bad roofs. Very terrible roofs. Very low energy roofs. Really they were just jealous of our fantastic incredible roof."

Edited by Ranzo

31 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

I honestly don't remember saying that. Of course, I agree somewhat, but with companies like MoeNovel, SakuraGame, this company, the one that TLed ChuSingura, I can't fully agree with what I may have said in the past.

Also, SP takes fan TLs and makes them official and some of those are of questionable quality, so not even the big companies get it right all the time.

I was mostly referring to this

Back there we talked about fanTLs being of lower quality than official localizations because of your third point. But yeah, there's no point about making a case when there are no set rules in this scene. Both fanTLs and official localizations can just turn out bad/good depending on who is working on them.

TBH, the thing about official releases being better than fan releases sounds like something I've said before, and regardless, I'll still say it's true, as long as you interpret that the right way.

Outliers are always going to exist, but I still feel confident saying that if you had a "quality meter" on TL quality of releases, the mean, median, and maximum quality of official releases are all way higher than those same values for fan TL releases. That becomes even more true when you discount obvious hack releases like this one and SakuraGame's releases (I won't include Moenovel, since A Sky Full of Stars, while not good, was also not terrible, and would fall on the very high end of the quality spectrum among fan translations, though not among officials; obviously the rest of Moenovel's releases are not doing so hot on that scale). Fan TLs by and large range from bad to mediocre, with a tiny handful of outliers that are pretty darn good, and are weighted pretty heavily towards the bad side. Official TLs range from bad to pretty darn good (and there are honestly a lot of these), and tend to be weighted towards the middle of that, rather than towards the bad side of it.

At the end of the day, sure, it depends on the people doing it, but the people doing official TLs are just by and large better at what they're doing than the people doing fan TLs.

5 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

At the end of the day, sure, it depends on the people doing it, but the people doing official TLs are just by and large better at what they're doing than the people doing fan TLs.

But we have a problem Fred. If you look at the people working on official projects nowadays... you're gonna see that many many of them came from the fanTL scene. I would never talk down fanTLs because I know for a fact that many of them end up working officially nowadays, no matter if they are bad or good (mostly good ones end up working officially).

17 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

I was mostly referring to this

Back there we talked about fanTLs being of lower quality than official localizations because of your third point. But yeah, there's no point about making a case when there are no set rules in this scene. Both fanTLs and official localizations can just turn out bad/good depending on who is working on them.

I guess I kinda implied that. My main point was basically that mediocre TLs would become the norm again, while the quality nowadays is better than it used to be.

5 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

If you look at the people working on official projects nowadays... you're gonna see that many many of them came from the fanTL scene.

How is that a problem though?

What separates an amateur from a professional? Experience.

Just now, 1P1A said:

How is that a problem though?

What separates an amateur from a professional? Experience.

I didn't mean that part was a problem :D What I meant is... that those same fanTLers who produce "lower quality" end up working officially. Also, how do we know that they improved enough by just doing fan-projects? You say experience, but there's no proof that someone got automatically better at something just because he worked on a fan-TL project.

4 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

What I meant is... that those same fanTLers who produce "lower quality" end up working officially.

Lower quality generally implies inexperience in either the target or source text. More exposure is going to make it more natural.

Also, how do we know that they improved enough by just doing fan-projects? You say experience, but there's no proof that someone got automatically better at something just because he worked on a fan-TL project.

Well that's life. But 99% of the time someone with experience is going to out perform someone without it. People who strive to improve will, and those who don't, don't.

1 minute ago, 1P1A said:

Lower quality generally implies inexperience in either the target or source text. More exposure is going to make it more natural.

Exactly. And now here comes one important reason why some TLers and editors aren't good. Lack of exposure to the language/languages they are working on. Many wannabe TLers (and editors too by the way) don't read enough stuff in general and aren't exposed to the language/languages they are working with. So no, just working on a fan project by itself isn't enough. These people need to be exposed to lots of text in languages they are working (i.e. they need to read lots of Japanese and/or English texts and aim for comprehension). Also, writing... these people need to learn how to write a sentence in the target language. Many fanTLs that we label as bad just have terrible English (they don't neccesarily have to be a bad TL).

6 minutes ago, 1P1A said:

Well that's life. But 99% of the time someone with experience is going to out perform someone without it. People who strive to improve will, and those who don't, don't.

Yes, experience certainly helps, but it's not the core trait I'd be looking for if I were to hire someone (if I were a localization company, that is). And I don't think 99% of time someone would outperform someone else just with experience. Those who strive to improve will also attempt to learn their job, not just keep doing it mindlessly.

2 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

And now here comes one important reason why some TLers and editors aren't good. Lack of exposure to the language/languages they are working on. Many wannabe TLers (and editors too by the way) don't read enough stuff in general and aren't exposed to the language/languages they are working with. 

These people need to be exposed to lots of text in languages they are working (i.e. they need to read lots of Japanese and/or English texts and aim for comprehension). Also, writing... these people need to learn how to write a sentence in the target language.

Those who strive to improve will also attempt to learn their job, not just keep doing it mindlessly.

Agree 100%.

3 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

So no, just working on a fan project by itself isn't enough.

It definitely isn't. 

Yes, experience certainly helps, but it's not the core trait I'd be looking for if I were to hire someone (if I were a localization company, that is).

I'm not sure what you would be looking for, if not experience. Most translation jobs I look at just ask for JLPT N1 or equivalent which just isn't satisfactory. 

Also nice post count. :D

26 minutes ago, 1P1A said:

I'm not sure what you would be looking for, if not experience. Most translation jobs I look at just ask for JLPT N1 or equivalent which just isn't satisfactory. 

Experience is not the only trait you can judge someone by :) But yeah, I know that for JP TLers they often just ask you for JLPT and similar. And yeah, I don't think that's enough just by itself either.

30 minutes ago, 1P1A said:

Also nice post count. :D

Didn't even notice it. :D RIP