Scene removed in Trample on Schatten

Trevarr

5 hours ago, Trevarr said:

Apparently, JAST has removed a scene without any notifications.

Yeah, did they think they could stealth censor the game and quietly slip it under the rug?

Also does this game has static sprites like Yumina the Ethereal? I just really dislike this. The characters portraits are not static, but the spires are pretty much stuck in one position no matter what, this is pretty much the only sprite there is for these characters:

2695.jpg

Edited by Nier

6 hours ago, Nier said:

Yeah, did they think they could stealth censor the game and quietly slip it under the rug?

If you actually look through the posts in the link, you will notice JAST is surprised about it and wants to investigate. Right now it looks like somebody at JAST did it without telling JAST. I don't think it's fair to blame JAST yet because all companies can experience a worker acting against the wishes of the leadership. The real test is now that they have been made aware of the issue and how the leadership responds. I mean so far it's not like Sekai and the Maitetsu incident where the only responds is a worker (project manager?) tweeting that he doesn't really care about the VN in question.

I fully agree that just removing contents without being open about it is an issue and this will be an issue unless JAST leaders take action within reasonable time.

14 minutes ago, tymmur said:

If you actually look through the posts in the link, you will notice JAST is surprised about it and wants to investigate. Right now it looks like somebody at JAST did it without telling JAST. I don't think it's fair to blame JAST yet because all companies can experience a worker acting against the wishes of the leadership. The real test is now that they have been made aware of the issue and how the leadership responds. I mean so far it's not like Sekai and the Maitetsu incident where the only responds is a worker (project manager?) tweeting that he doesn't really care about the VN in question.

I fully agree that just removing contents without being open about it is an issue and this will be an issue unless JAST leaders take action within reasonable time.

The most likely scenario is that the project manager made a decision that wasn't properly communicated to PR. If that was even PR Sanahtlig talked to and not just some other person with the company who naturally wouldn't be fully aware of what's happening with projects they're not involved with.

8 hours ago, tymmur said:

While it isn't great, I won't hold this against JAST. They responded within reasonable time with a reasonable explanation and instantly gives the offer of a refund because they screwed up informing about what they had to do. They even encourage a fan made patch fix. I can't see what else we should expect a company to do, particularly if they communication error is a one time event and not a sign of future release handling.

7 hours ago, Decay said:

The most likely scenario is that the project manager made a decision that wasn't properly communicated to PR. If that was even PR Sanahtlig talked to and not just some other person with the company who naturally wouldn't be fully aware of what's happening with projects they're not involved with.

While this is all entirely correct, it doesn't change the conclusion that we had a lot of unknowns at the time of writing and we should wait and see what JAST would announce before making conclusions about JAST and their goals.

JAST has confirmed that Trample on Schatten!! was censored due to content it considers illegal in the US.  They apologize for failing to report this before release, and are offering refunds until 8/25.

I'm disappointed that JAST has not committed to a patch for this title.  With FAKKU able to release games such as Maitetsu uncensored, it makes me wonder why JAST doesn't just remove the game from their store and sell an uncensored version on FAKKU instead.

I do know however that a dedicated group of "fans" is working to restore the missing content.  A fix should be available soon (TM).

As a small gesture of protest, I will be postponing my review playthrough until the fix is released.  As I'll soon be tied up helping out with the VBF Kickstarter, this move could significantly delay my coverage of Trample on Schatten.  In addition, I recommend that existing customers who care about this issue request a refund, and then buy the game (if desired) when a fix is available.  This is the most effective way we have to register discontent with the handling of this title.

As for me I guess it's up to JAST I guess, because more or less I'm quite neutral in regard of this. That said, I think JAST here is slightly paranoid with the cut of child rape content, because to me it's more easier to accept if the content that was cut is like Subahibi. I understand JAST's though because child rape here is safe to say a very sticky  issue so perhaps it would be better safe than sorry. They should coordinate and announced about this beforehand though, but I guess it would impossible to do that after many years of works with lack of employee issue.

As for the sprite yeah it's only have one pose, so if you want to see more expression (Some of those were good) you should look at the left box (Duh). Also other than Yumina here, I think Alicesoft game (ie Haruka and Evenicle) also have same issue as well.

15 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

is this a new trend or something? fans fixing vns for companies?

Not new, this started years ago, I think the oldest was the konosora project from 2013 that released a few months back.

52 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

They tried to do it stealthily and failed. That is shitty attitude, but i don't disagree with their actions. Rape of a child will be very controversial.

Incredible how dense and insane westerners are, it's a visual novel!

Seems the only sane people in the world are North-East Asians, at least they have the sanity of recognizing fictional work for what it is and the maturity in being able of making the distinction between fiction and reality.

In relations to the other thread, "how can we make visual novel popular in the West?", answer you don't because of bullshit like this, especially in regards towards the restriction toward freedom of creation and the stigma in the west against japanese video games.

Edited by Nier

2 minutes ago, Nier said:

Incredible how dense and insane westerners are, it's a visual novel!

Seems the only sane people in the world are North-East Asians, at least they have the sanity of recognizing fictional work for what it is and the maturity in being able of making the distinction between fiction and reality.

In relations to the other thread, "how can we make visual novel popular in the West?", answer you don't because of bullshit like this, especially in regards towards the restriction toward freedom of creation and the stigma in the west against japanese video games.

Well, you do have a point. It still depends on the portrayal of said rape though. And please don't get your weeb panties in a twist, jeez.

By the way the sex scene in question was the one in regard of Mina who is raped in her childhood by burglar(?). I think perhaps it would be the best if JAST remove it to avoid the controversy, although in turn it remove

Spoiler

one of character (Takuto's) Freudian Excuse to have multiple personality. To be fair it should be easily explained by the girl was traumatized by the event in the past burglar rape or not, so that he'll protect his little sister (Miina) at all cost. Just in case you didn't catch on, the girl who was raped is Miina and Takuto is her older brother who will protect Miina at all cost following the rape (Or so that's what I understand from the VN).

PS - Here's the scene in question if you want to see, although beware though it's NSFW for a very obvious reason (By the way for a supposed children her breast is quite big).

Edited by littleshogun

Wow I have to say I'm very disappointed in JAST. I have been supporting them since the early days and while I was disappointed in their release of Family Project and X-Change 3 (because they didn't tell us about the censorship before the release) I thought they were done with censoring games (or at least not telling us about it). I want to say I do not care about the content in question (or even the game as I haven't picked it up yet and won't now) but I do not accept censorship that they tried to hide. They try and say it was simple human error but that's very unlikely considering this is something they would have known about way in advance and had plenty of opportunity to let us know so I'm doubtful. To find out Trample has been censored is a big blow. What's that saying 3 Strikes and your out? JAST has struck out as far as I'm concerned. How disappointing.

6 hours ago, littleshogun said:

By the way the sex scene in question was the one in regard of Mina who is raped in her childhood by burglar(?). I think perhaps it would be the best if JAST remove it to avoid the controversy, although in turn it remove

Hide contents

one of character (Takuto's) Freudian Excuse to have multiple personality. To be fair it should be easily explained by the girl was traumatized by the burglar rape or not, so that he'll protect his little sister (Miina) at all cost. Just in case you didn't catch on, the girl who was raped is Miina and Takuto is her older brother who will protect Miina at all cost following the rape (Or so that's what I understand from the VN).

PS - Here's the scene in question if you want to see, although beware though it's NSFW for a very obvious reason (By the way for a supposed children her breast is quite big).

No, it's perfectly fine to have a backstory explained in words. You don't actually have to witness the rape as a means for rape fetishists to jack off to.

7 hours ago, kyrt said:

Wow I have to say I'm very disappointed in JAST. I have been supporting them since the early days and while I was disappointed in their release of Family Project and X-Change 3 (because they didn't tell us about the censorship before the release) I thought they were done with censoring games (or at least not telling us about it). I want to say I do not care about the content in question (or even the game as I haven't picked it up yet and won't now) but I do not accept censorship that they tried to hide. They try and say it was simple human error but that's very unlikely considering this is something they would have known about way in advance and had plenty of opportunity to let us know so I'm doubtful. To find out Trample has been censored is a big blow. What's that saying 3 Strikes and your out? JAST has struck out as far as I'm concerned. How disappointing.

It's not that hard though to be disappointed by JAST considering that they've gotten quite slow with the releases and redundant announcements. So in the end, while I understand that JAST here is the company who bring the VNs to the overseas, right now many other companies were more capable to bring numerous VNs in short time so it's easy to say that JAST here has been declining. In the end, nothing that I can say other than JAST should announce that they'll gonna censored one of the scene before they release it, especially when the reason for that is understandable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 3:38 PM, littleshogun said:

It's not that hard though to be disappointed by JAST considering that they've gotten quite slow with the releases and redundant announcements. So in the end, while I understand that JAST here is the company who bring the VNs to the overseas, right now many other companies were more capable to bring numerous VNs in short time so it's easy to say that JAST here has been declining. In the end, nothing that I can say other than JAST should announce that they'll gonna censored one of the scene before they release it, especially when the reason for that is understandable.

I understand why they didn't. It's really short term thinking from them. Most likely they believe that sales will plummet if they announced that they're censoring something (and they're not wrong) consequences though is that they will get a worse reputation when people figure out they've been deceived (long term).

Make sense I suppose. So in the end I guess JAST here was in the dilemma there, but then again it's not like that it'll be that hard to announced that they did censored a child rape scene like Frontwing did (Well they would made the controversy as well though), so they kind of fumbled with they hiding the censorship. In the end, I guess it's up to them to deal with the consequences.