I need help with understanding how to find H-codes in VNs

Hi all! I would like to learn how to find H-codes in games. It is a small dream for me, since the time a started to read vns. I was interested in how everything computer related works since my childhood. As of now I am learning java, so i have basic understanding of programming languages. Also a am reading a book about assembly, so i also have basic understanding of how cpu and memory works but i cant put all the pieces of the puzzle together without little help from someone.

When I try to find an H-code I use guide for cheatEngine https://wiki.anime-sharing.com/hgames/index.php?title=AGTH/Tutorial

I can easily find address where text is stored, but then, when a need to find what is accessing this memory address, I cant understand what command, from the list a get, is the best to use in further steps. Is it a command which is used maximum number of times or maybe command which uses some special cpu registers. And i also cant understand what to do next, what should i look for in the registers and memory, when I setup the breakpoint?

Even a small help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ignatius21

You could use debugger to see the surroundings of a command and pick the one that looks likely to be correct, for example if it has WinAPI call like TabbedTextOutA nearby. Or you could put a break point and look at call stack to see what calls that command. Just note that if game has DRM it may have measures against debuggers.  For general advise I suggest this free book http://beginners.re/

On 24.07.2018 at 4:34 PM, pual said:

You could use debugger to see the surroundings of a command and pick the one that looks likely to be correct, for example if it has WinAPI call like TabbedTextOutA nearby. Or you could put a break point and look at call stack to see what calls that command. Just note that if game has DRM it may have measures against debuggers.  For general advise I suggest this free book http://beginners.re/

Thanks for the book suggestion.

17 hours ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

Am I the only one who thought "H-codes" was like a way to find where the H-scenes faster in the code 

h-code stands for hook-code:)

13 hours ago, 1P1A said:

There's some video tutorials on hongfire.

NSFW (ads) Link:

Hide contents

As far as i understood, ollydbg doesn't work correctly with 64bit windows.

!!!!First i found address where text is stored. Then I attach debugger to see what accesses this address. I see this picture. What instruction should i analyze futher? k9svvq.jpg.

x64dbg is like ollydbg but also supports 64-bit.

edit: hard to say which one of them without context, but the five mov [edi+ecx*4-xx],eax look like some sort of switch case, maybe for handling script commands

Edited by pual