Project Leader/Typesetting/Programmer: Jansonseth

Translator: August99us

TLC: Danshi

Editor: Turbos86

Image Editor: Danshi

Trial Patch Released!

Edited by jansonseth
Better Format

Honestly, and take it solely as my view. I don't think you should bother at all, as this game will very likely be localized 'soon', as all KEY works have been (except for Angel Beats!, which technically seems dead in Japan too). Considering that you don't have anyone helping you and that the game is too long, too dense, and so recent, I think it is better for you to not go through the process so in a few months you have to stop.

It would be great if you'd use the time and effort into the many other games that will likely never see the light of the english days, helping the community to have a wider variety of good english translations.

What Silvz said. The possibility that Visual Art's will make an official localization of Summer Pockets is extremely high and the game just came out, so it's not a great idea to start a translation on it right now. Find another VN to translate, maybe another Nijima Yuu VN perhaps? And please, no matter what the project is for, find an actual translator for it, don't accept anyone who does partial machine translations.

I would say that even ignoring the facts that there's a chance that KEY will officially localized this and the proper translation process, it would be a pain to deal with the engine that Summer Pocket use in which I would guess it's Siglus. For a bit of reminder, Tsurezure (HatsuKoi's translator) did consider to officially localized Hoshiori to allow them have an easier time to dealing with the Siglus programming. So yeah perhaps dropping this would be the best outcome if we look from the prospect of painful engine work alone, but in the end it's up to you to either just dropped it or consider to go on with the project.

Edited by littleshogun

For future reference, unfortunately you're also going about this all wrong. Without a translator your project is doomed. Find a translator that's interested in a VN first before even announcing a project. They're the rarest commodity in these projects and you almost never get people putting their hand up for something you're interested in; it's the other way around - the translator needs to be interested in something and the group should form around them.

36 minutes ago, ittaku said:

For future reference, unfortunately you're also going about this all wrong. Without a translator your project is doomed. Find a translator that's interested in a VN first before even announcing a project. They're the rarest commodity in these projects and you almost never get people putting their hand up for something you're interested in; it's the other way around - the translator needs to be interested in something and the group should form around them.

Yup, I couldn't agree more here.

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing that the OP here did managed to find the translator, I decided to revive the thread here and keep my eyes on the project. As for the next plan, Alka Translation will release the trial patch at 26th later (Date may change) and it'll contain ~9,000 lines, so it should be possible to see what kind of translation that Summer Pocket will have here. Here's their homepage if you want to visit it, and since they already decided to continue the project what I can say is that good luck to the group and hopefully it'll going well.

1 hour ago, littleshogun said:

Seeing that the OP here did managed to find the translator, I decided to revive the thread here and keep my eyes on the project. As for the next plan, Alka Translation will release the trial patch at 26th later (Date may change) and it'll contain ~9,000 lines, so it should be possible to see what kind of translation that Summer Pocket will have here. Here's their homepage if you want to visit it, and since they already decided to continue the project what I can say is that good luck to the group and hopefully it'll going well.

So, who's the TLer? Tbh, I don't think it's a wise idea to start the project for it. Chances of its official localization are pretty high (actually, it might even be one of the 2 announcements by NekoNyan coming up soon). But if the OP doesn't mind to risk it, then I wish him all the luck and strength of this world to see it through till the end.

Edit:

Okay, I found out it's someone named August99us. Cool. Let me get excited for a possible translation of Summer Pockets then.

Edited by Infernoplex

3 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

But if the OP doesn't mind to risk it...

if that´s the case, i mean if he/she/whatever seriously doesn´t give a fukk about anything official, setting up some sort of homepage really is no good/wise move. like recruitment should usually be done so that no one notices, then work ur ass off and release a finished product - ideally before its offical counterpart and laugh at them hard.

As for C&D matter, I wouldn't be sure about the matter seeing that we managed to have HatsuKoi translated safely. For the note here HatsuKoi is from tone's work, and tone's work itself is one of Visual Art branch. Gonna need to be careful about that though seeing that we have Angel Beat case (And more dubious one in regard of Hanasaki), and in case the OP decided to cancel the project because of that again (Or just because NekoNyan picked this), then I'll just ask mod to move the thread again lol. Still I hope that everything will be going well for the project.

PS - By the way, here's the screenshot with the translated text that OP uploaded to VNDB before he removed it. I'm not sure what other people think, but I think it looks fine enough. Just look at the demo later if you want more sample.

115305.jpg

115306.jpg

115307.jpg

115308.jpg

Edited by littleshogun

1 hour ago, VirginSmasher said:

Have fun with the C&D Visual Arts is gonna hit you with.

They're probably looking for VA's attention (to try to get their script bought) if they're going for a Key title. Though that's probably not going to happen after what happened with Ixrec and Rewrite+Harvest Fiesta.

Edited by 1P1A

1 hour ago, littleshogun said:

As for C&D matter, I wouldn't be sure about the matter seeing that we managed to have HatsuKoi translated safely

there´s a massive difference between fantranslating a title that´s unlikely of getting licensed and one that´s almost guarantied to be.
sure both can get u potentially c&d´ed, but in the latter case handling things more undercover would really help them see it through.

5 hours ago, littleshogun said:

As for C&D matter, I wouldn't be sure about the matter seeing that we managed to have HatsuKoi translated safely. For the note here HatsuKoi is from tone's work, and tone's work itself is one of Visual Art branch. Gonna need to be careful about that though seeing that we have Angel Beat case (And more dubious one in regard of Hanasaki), and in case the OP decided to cancel the project because of that again (Or just because NekoNyan picked this), then I'll just ask mod to move the thread again lol. Still I hope that everything will be going well for the project.

PS - By the way, here's the screenshot with the translated text that OP uploaded to VNDB before he removed it. I'm not sure what other people think, but I think it looks fine enough. Just look at the demo later if you want more sample.

115305.jpg

115306.jpg

115307.jpg

115308.jpg

It looks stilted as hell and has a couple of errors. I'm not particularly excited for anything based off of those screenshots.

So I talked to the main TLer and he said that Janson did ask VA about a potential localization to which they replied that it's not yet in the plans. So in theory, Summer Pockets could be safe. But that's in theory only, of course. And it might be that NekoNyan doesn't have the license for it either (I am still suspecting HatsuSaku and Aokana to be their secret announcements). Either way, now that there's a TLer who seems to be passionate, my hopes for this went sligthly up.

Based on the screenshots, yeah, I agree with Virgin that it doesn't look too professional (that "Oi" in the third screenshot is already telling me that it's a literal TL). Actually, for all 4 lines I can kinda tell what JP text was behind them. Still, I wouldn't go as far as Virgin to say it's bad. I don't expect masterful prose writing from someone who just began his first VN translation ever (and who has no editor). For what it is, it looks okay to me. It could be way better, of course, but no one became a pro overnight. So yeah, there's room for improvement but I am not gonna disregard my hopes. I'll definitely check out the trial once it comes out and give some feedback.

1 hour ago, Infernoplex said:

Based on the screenshots, yeah, I agree with Virgin that it doesn't look too professional (that "Oi" in the third screenshot is already telling me that it's a literal TL).

"Oi" could just mean the TL is a Brit, or just that they like the sound of that particular word. I wouldn't read too much into that.

Frankly, I think this is too small a sample size to make any kind of judgment.

22 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

"Oi" could just mean the TL is a Brit, or just that they like the sound of that particular word. I wouldn't read too much into that.

Frankly, I think this is too small a sample size to make any kind of judgment.

I agree it's too small of a sample to make any kind of judgement. That's why I said I'll definitely try out the trial (I'm glad they are going to release it). And sorry, yeah, you may be right. I know "oi" in Japanese, so I thought it was perhaps a literal TL.

8 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Who cares ss long as we understand it?

This kind of moronic attitude is why Ixrec and the original translator for Hoshimemo were able to get away with their bad translation work. :ren:

Either way, it is a small sample size, so I may have jumped the gun a little. I'll wait to see how the prologue patch is before giving a complete opinion. 

17 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

This kind of moronic attitude is why Ixrec and the original translator for Hoshimemo were able to get away with their bad translation work. :ren:

Either way, it is a small sample size, so I may have jumped the gun a little. I'll wait to see how the prologue patch is before giving a complete opinion. 

No, your kind of "moronic attitude" is one of the reasons we have such a decline in fan translations. Go harp on in officially published vn's and chill the fuck out when it's fan translated. Not any fun translating anything for fun when people expect absolute perfection and are pretty damn vocal when it's not, do your best to wrap your head around this. People need time to develop their skills, and they'll likely translate and re translate in time once they're better. Still for a fan translation i settle for an understandable translation.

34 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

No, your kind of "moronic attitude" is one of the reasons we have such a decline in fan translations. Go harp on in officially published vn's and chill the fuck out when it's fan translated. Not any fun translating anything for fun when people expect absolute perfection and are pretty damn vocal when it's not, do your best to wrap your head around this. People need time to develop their skills, and they'll likely translate and re translate in time once they're better. Still for a fan translation i settle for an understandable translation.

Dude, nobody actually expects perfection from a fan TL. And people who do are probably extremely elitist and critical either way. I just want a translation that reads well and is accurate. I don't know about this one's accuracy, but to me, it doesn't read well. It feels awkward to read and a TL shouldn't give off an impression like that. People should expect more and not lower their standards just because it's made for free.

Also, the guy literally removed the screenshots from VNDB. That may indicate the translator/project leader didn't feel that they were good enough, which is a fair judgment on their part.

Either way, there's most likely gonna be an edit of those lines and we'll have to wait until the prologue patch is out to actually see the quality in its finished form. 

22 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Lol, fan translations are in decline because they are pretty much pointless now. Nowadays, official localization companies can provide more titles than fan-tls with better quality.