Snow Fan Translation RELAUNCHED

Legendary No-Con

Hello friends! This is newly formed translation group Snowy Ryujin TL, and we have decided that after 18 years of going untranslated, we're gonna try our hand at developing a fan translation of the Studio Mebius VN, Snow

My name's Rinny, and you might recognize me from being the Project Lead & Editor for the Summer Pockets, Angel Beats 1st Beat and Miazora Fine Days projects. If there's one VN I've been absolutely dying to not only read myself but bring to English ever since I entered the VN scene, it's this one.

tlss5.pngtlss2.pngtlss3.png

The Visual Novel:

"The story of Snow starts when the main protagonist Izumo Kanata visits a small village called Ryujinmura (village of the dragon god) to help his cousin Tsugumi manage a local hotel with hot springs. In the village there is an old legend: In ancient times, the village is protected by the dragon goddess. However, one day the dragon goddesses fell in love with a human, which is strictly forbidden, and this incident finally caused the village to be always covered by snow after that. The game then tells the daily life of the protagonist in the village, and finally links the story to the legend of dragon goddess."

The Project:

Snow is a Nakige released way back in 2003, and has gained a bit of a reputation as an enigma. Many who have played it claim it is good, some even say one of the best, yet all these years later it is not only hard to acquire, but there's been next to nothing on any sort of fan translation. We aim to change that. This translation will also be of the "Plus Edition" of Snow, which contains full voices and an extra route. This is an 18+ version of the game.

Team Members:

The squad currently consists of myself, Mhmd, Takafumi and Waffletown. I'll be leading the project, handling PR and updates, as well as assisting with QC and text editing. Mhmd will be handling the translating, though we're absolutely open to more potential translators joining up to split the workload, since it's a big VN. Takafumi is our fearless image editor, as he's got plenty of RLDev and photo editing experience, and Waffletown will be handling the first run of QC and text editing.

Progress:

Overall - 5394/78154 || 6.9% Complete

Common Route - 5394/13726 || 39.29% Complete

Asahi Route - 0/10054 

Sumino Route - 0/9922

Legend Route - 0/8034

Shigure Route - 0/10744

Ouka Route - 0/15683

Meiko Route - 0/9991

Recruitment:

Right now, we're open to a second translator joining the project, but for now, we're all set! 

Contact Info:

If you have questions or wish to join the project, you can message me here or contact me at LegendaryNoCon#0558 on Discord! The latter method is much more preferable, as I have the mobile app and will therefore be able to talk with people both at home and away. Right now we're only looking for anyone who might like to join as a second translator, so if you're interested, hit us up!

Edited by Legendary No-Con
Recruitment over, project underway

I just played a little bit of it last week. Did you guys find/develop proper tools for it? I saw it uses Reallive and that's one of those pain-in-the-ass engines to work with. Btw, you should use the standard edition: https://vndb.org/r1758

It has more content, I think.

I can't offer help with translating, though. I am pretty much interested in Snow myself, so I hope you guys succeed.

8 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

I just played a little bit of it last week. Did you guys find/develop proper tools for it? I saw it uses Reallive and that's one of those pain-in-the-ass engines to work with. Btw, you should use the standard edition: https://vndb.org/r1758

It has more content, I think.

I can't offer help with translating, though. I am pretty much interested in Snow myself, so I hope you guys succeed.

We thought about that, but figured it'd be better to just do the Plus Edition at first, for the core Snow experience, and we'd do the fandiscs if this became successful! Fandiscs included for a first project are rather ambitious. So thank you, if this succeeds, that's one of the next things on our list! 

Edited by Legendary No-Con

14 minutes ago, Legendary No-Con said:

We thought about that, but figured it'd be better to just do the Plus Edition at first, for the core Snow experience, and we'd do the fandiscs if this became successful! So thank you, if this succeeds, that's one of the next things on our list! 

Ah, I see. So it has fandiscs included. I wasn't sure if they are with same content. But yeah, the original Snow already has too many lines on its own (76k is plain crazy). You'll need a lot of dedication for this. I hope you find some help for it. This and https://vndb.org/v1950 are the two titles I am mostly interested in by Mebius (well, https://vndb.org/v2352 too).

In any case, good luck ^_^

Edited by Infernoplex

14 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Did you guys find/develop proper tools for it? I saw it uses Reallive and that's one of those pain-in-the-ass engines to work with.

JelAgSH.png

Thanks for the support. It's a surprisingly lengthy novel for the time, and it's a oft-forgotten classic, so I'm not sure how much interest we'll drum up. To complete it (putting aside the fandiscs) would be an achievement.

1 minute ago, Takafumi said:

Thanks for the support. It's a surprisingly lengthy novel for the time, and it's a oft-forgotten classic, so I'm not sure how much interest we'll drum up. To complete it (putting aside the fandiscs) would be an achievement.

I didn't say it's unhackable :D I was merely asking because I had trouble with Natsuyume Nagisa back in the day (another VN with RealLive problem) and remember how much troublesome it was (Haeleth cursed us all with his OcamL and the Appleman's fork needed some modifications to work properly on it).

I wouldn't say Snow is often forgotten classic. I see it mentioned from time to time, so I wouldn't say it's forgotten. People who read it still praise it to this day so it's gotta be at least above decent.

Completing this would be an amazing achievement, even without the fandiscs. You'll need years for this, even if you find a TLer (which is sadly quite problematic nowadays). I am learning JP myself at the moment, but I cannot be of much help (at least not yet). Maybe if you ever need an editor or something like that, I could help, but for anything else, I am literally shit.

Snow is a pretty bad game imo

Also not only are all the editions easily available are the fan discs just rape nukige. (Snow itself is pretty rape game itself too.)

Also not sure how can it be 76k lines if it took me 4 days to finish 100%

Edited by Kiriririri

7 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

Snow is a pretty bad game imo

Also not only are all the editions easily available are the fan discs just rape nukige. (Snow itself is pretty rape game itself too.)

Also not sure how can it be 76k lines if it took me 4 days to finish 100%

I'm not really sure your post is pertinent to the topic?

I mean, having your opinion on the game is fair and all (even if you can't actually gauge a game's length by your own reading speed), but I'm not sure why you're making this post in this thread considering it's not a review thread and what you wrote doesn't actually address the recruitment request in any given way. :huh:

32 minutes ago, Natsururin said:

I'm not really sure your post is pertinent to the topic?

I mean, having your opinion on the game is fair and all (even if you can't actually gauge a game's length by your own reading speed), but I'm not sure why you're making this post in this thread considering it's not a review thread and what you wrote doesn't actually address the recruitment request in any given way. :huh:

That's how these threads usually work here on Fuwanovel but I was also refering to this: 

Many who have played it claim it is good, some even say one of the best, yet all these years later it is not only hard to acquire, but there's been next to nothing on any sort of fan translation.

Just in case someone is interested in the game and wants an alternative opinion. They are free to ask me more about my opinion why it is not the best VN ever.

10 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

That's how these threads usually work here on Fuwanovel but I was also refering to this: 

Just in case someone is interested in the game and wants an alternative opinion. They are free to ask me more about my opinion why it is not the best VN ever.

What are you talking about? It's definitely a kamige.

22 hours ago, Tamaki Sakura said:

I just wonder, why SNOW over another neglected nakige—one that actually has a following. For instance:

Either way, it's still a meme to announce a project without having acquired a translator.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/27/2020 at 1:53 PM, Houshi Bocchi said:

Thanks for the answer.

The project isn't alive, per se. I had moved onto being the project lead for Alka Translations and working on things such as Angel Beats, Miazora Fine Days, Summer Pockets Reflection Blue, etc. But now that I'm no longer part of the team, I'm certainly interested in trying to reignite interest in putting together a different team for this once I actually have the time to do so. And if so, I'll be sure and update things here!

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2020 at 8:19 PM, Legendary No-Con said:

The project isn't alive, per se. I had moved onto being the project lead for Alka Translations and working on things such as Angel Beats, Miazora Fine Days, Summer Pockets Reflection Blue, etc. But now that I'm no longer part of the team, I'm certainly interested in trying to reignite interest in putting together a different team for this once I actually have the time to do so. And if so, I'll be sure and update things here!

I actually started to translate a little bit after somehow piecing together how to get RLdev working and whatnot, so I'm definitely down for being part of a team going forward. I'll continue doing my own efforts in the meantime and we can make a system for how we want to do it. For reference, my Discord is Mhmd_FVC#8760

I also started working on converting the PS2 version voices to the PC version to be an added option, because I detest how overall cringe/low quality the PC version voices are in comparison, whereas the PS2 voices are fantastic IMO and are part of why I fell in love with Snow (I'd played it on PS2 because I happened to come across that version of it in a Japanese game store, knew nothing about it but I had a feeling it might be good so I just took it). While I'm at it, I'm adjusting the ORG files so that the feature in RealLive where you can toggle individual characters' voices can be added and actually work. And speaking of the PS2 version, I'm thinking an "all ages" patch would be a good idea to have as an option for... reasons. I'm OK with continuing to do this stuff solo, since the translation is the real behemoth anyhow and not everyone might agree with me on this.

Edited by Mhmd_F

• 1 month later...

Glad to hear someone's still peaking at this game! I picked up the Dreamcast version and started it recently, so was curious if there was ever a translation and found this thread. It has such a strange and cute (and scream-filled) beginning that I had to keep playing, though I can sense the sadness creeping around the corner waiting to strike. I'm curious now if the Dreamcast and PS2 versions are much different. I wanted to avoid the 18+ stuff, so I agree if you do the PC version that an all-ages patch would be nice.

Good luck and thanks for the hard work so far!