Legendary No-Con

Snow Fan Translation (Recruiting Translators)

Hello friends! This is newly formed translation group Kinniku22, and we have decided that after 15 years of going untranslated, we're gonna try our hand at developing a fan translation of the Studio Mebius VN, Snow

The Visual Novel:

"The story of Snow starts when the main protagonist Izumo Kanata visits a small village called Ryujinmura (village of the dragon god) to help his cousin Tsugumi manage a local hotel with hot springs. In the village there is an old legend: In ancient times, the village is protected by the dragon goddess. However, one day the dragon goddesses fell in love with a human, which is strictly forbidden, and this incident finally caused the village to be always covered by snow after that. The game then tells the daily life of the protagonist in the village, and finally links the story to the legend of dragon goddess."

Snow.(Visual.Novel).full.227056.jpg27749.jpgSnow.(Visual.Novel).full.3546.jpg

The Project:

Snow is a Nakige released way back in 2003, and has gained a bit of a reputation as an enigma. Many who have played it claim it is good, some even say one of the best, yet all these years later it is not only hard to acquire, but there's been next to nothing on any sort of fan translation. We aim to change that. This translation will also be of the "Plus Edition" of Snow, which contains full voices and an extra route. This is an 18+ version of the game.

Team Members:

Right now it's just myself and a fellow who goes by the name of Takafumi. We'll be handling the development of the patch itself and the QC, as well as a bit of the translating. We're looking to recruit some folks here from the community who would like to see this project done. Anyone experienced/fluent in Japanese that can communicate with the team in English is more than welcome to come on board! 

Progress:

As we have only just begun, we're busy combing through the files for now. We estimate about 76,000 lines needing to be translated, about a thousand more than the original Little Busters! This section will be updated as we gain more team members and the project gets rolling.

Recruitment:

As mentioned above, we're looking for translators to help us with this. I'm sure many people would love to help out with this, but due to the sheer amount of translating that needs to be done, we're looking for folks who are pretty experienced, if not fluent in Japanese. We're also native English speakers, so please be able to speak English on a conversational level so we can all communicate properly! This is also a for-fun translation project, so we're not asking any new team members to devote every second of their lives to this. Unless they want to, of course! 

Contact Info:

If you have questions or wish to join the project, you can message me here or contact me at Rinny#0558 on Discord! The latter method is much more preferable, as I have the mobile app and will therefore be able to talk with people both at home and away. 

I just played a little bit of it last week. Did you guys find/develop proper tools for it? I saw it uses Reallive and that's one of those pain-in-the-ass engines to work with. Btw, you should use the standard edition: https://vndb.org/r1758

It has more content, I think.

I can't offer help with translating, though. I am pretty much interested in Snow myself, so I hope you guys succeed.

8 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

I just played a little bit of it last week. Did you guys find/develop proper tools for it? I saw it uses Reallive and that's one of those pain-in-the-ass engines to work with. Btw, you should use the standard edition: https://vndb.org/r1758

It has more content, I think.

I can't offer help with translating, though. I am pretty much interested in Snow myself, so I hope you guys succeed.

We thought about that, but figured it'd be better to just do the Plus Edition at first, for the core Snow experience, and we'd do the fandiscs if this became successful! Fandiscs included for a first project are rather ambitious. So thank you, if this succeeds, that's one of the next things on our list! 

Edited by Legendary No-Con

14 minutes ago, Legendary No-Con said:

We thought about that, but figured it'd be better to just do the Plus Edition at first, for the core Snow experience, and we'd do the fandiscs if this became successful! So thank you, if this succeeds, that's one of the next things on our list! 

Ah, I see. So it has fandiscs included. I wasn't sure if they are with same content. But yeah, the original Snow already has too many lines on its own (76k is plain crazy). You'll need a lot of dedication for this. I hope you find some help for it. This and https://vndb.org/v1950 are the two titles I am mostly interested in by Mebius (well, https://vndb.org/v2352 too).

In any case, good luck ^_^

Edited by Infernoplex

14 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Did you guys find/develop proper tools for it? I saw it uses Reallive and that's one of those pain-in-the-ass engines to work with.

JelAgSH.png

Thanks for the support. It's a surprisingly lengthy novel for the time, and it's a oft-forgotten classic, so I'm not sure how much interest we'll drum up. To complete it (putting aside the fandiscs) would be an achievement.

1 minute ago, Takafumi said:

Thanks for the support. It's a surprisingly lengthy novel for the time, and it's a oft-forgotten classic, so I'm not sure how much interest we'll drum up. To complete it (putting aside the fandiscs) would be an achievement.

I didn't say it's unhackable :D I was merely asking because I had trouble with Natsuyume Nagisa back in the day (another VN with RealLive problem) and remember how much troublesome it was (Haeleth cursed us all with his OcamL and the Appleman's fork needed some modifications to work properly on it).

I wouldn't say Snow is often forgotten classic. I see it mentioned from time to time, so I wouldn't say it's forgotten. People who read it still praise it to this day so it's gotta be at least above decent.

Completing this would be an amazing achievement, even without the fandiscs. You'll need years for this, even if you find a TLer (which is sadly quite problematic nowadays). I am learning JP myself at the moment, but I cannot be of much help (at least not yet). Maybe if you ever need an editor or something like that, I could help, but for anything else, I am literally shit.

Snow is a pretty bad game imo

Also not only are all the editions easily available are the fan discs just rape nukige. (Snow itself is pretty rape game itself too.)

Also not sure how can it be 76k lines if it took me 4 days to finish 100%

Edited by Kiriririri

7 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

Snow is a pretty bad game imo

Also not only are all the editions easily available are the fan discs just rape nukige. (Snow itself is pretty rape game itself too.)

Also not sure how can it be 76k lines if it took me 4 days to finish 100%

I'm not really sure your post is pertinent to the topic?

I mean, having your opinion on the game is fair and all (even if you can't actually gauge a game's length by your own reading speed), but I'm not sure why you're making this post in this thread considering it's not a review thread and what you wrote doesn't actually address the recruitment request in any given way. :huh:

32 minutes ago, Natsururin said:

I'm not really sure your post is pertinent to the topic?

I mean, having your opinion on the game is fair and all (even if you can't actually gauge a game's length by your own reading speed), but I'm not sure why you're making this post in this thread considering it's not a review thread and what you wrote doesn't actually address the recruitment request in any given way. :huh:

That's how these threads usually work here on Fuwanovel but I was also refering to this: 

Many who have played it claim it is good, some even say one of the best, yet all these years later it is not only hard to acquire, but there's been next to nothing on any sort of fan translation.

Just in case someone is interested in the game and wants an alternative opinion. They are free to ask me more about my opinion why it is not the best VN ever.

10 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

That's how these threads usually work here on Fuwanovel but I was also refering to this: 

Just in case someone is interested in the game and wants an alternative opinion. They are free to ask me more about my opinion why it is not the best VN ever.

What are you talking about? It's definitely a kamige.

22 hours ago, Tamaki Sakura said:

I just wonder, why SNOW over another neglected nakige—one that actually has a following. For instance:

Either way, it's still a meme to announce a project without having acquired a translator.