Sooooo...is "Summer Pockets" the next big Key VN?

I didn't read the VN because I'm one of the disappointments that doesn't speak Japanese. And I'm just curious. If it will ever get an english release (ha...) can I expect something like "Little Busters", "CLANNAD" or "Kanon"? Is it something you can recommend?

On a side note I didn't read "Rewrite" or "Planetarian" yet, but you always hear good things about those VNs too so if I can expect something like that I guess I wouldn't mind either. I read "AIR" but found it mediocre.

And yes, I did read Kiriririris beautiful post and the pic of this handsome muscular old men would be reason enough to empty my portemonnaie but I guess a bit more info wouldn't hurt.

I hope I'm not posting into a wrong place or something :/

2 hours ago, iwasnevergoodwithnames ;( said:

can I expect something like "Little Busters", "CLANNAD" or "Kanon"?

Well, I didn't read it and can't say for sure, but Summer Pockets has a different main writer than the titles you mentioned here, so I wouldn't expect it to have exactly the same writing style as them. On a bright note, apparently the main writer for this VN is also pretty good.

Oh, and your username is pretty funny by the way. :maple:

35 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Well, I didn't read it and can't say for sure, but Summer Pockets has a different main writer than the titles you mentioned here, so I wouldn't expect it to have exactly the same writing style as them. On a bright note, apparently the main writer for this VN is also pretty good.

Oh yeah now that I think about it that's the case isn't it? I felt curious because the games concept still seems to be from Jun Maeda but I guess it's also a little bit to soon to ask for any kind of opinion when the game isn't even out that long. I'll be patient :badnicoman:

35 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Oh, and your username is pretty funny by the way. :maple:

:wub: That's awfully nice of you. To be honest I thought people would shrug their head when seeing this username but it's nice to know that there are people who can find it funny in a way. Thanks!

Edited by iwasnevergoodwithnames ;(

After Yuu finished the script of the heroines routes, Maeda saw that the game need more "Key magic", then he made Yuu write some family drama, cus Maeda only know to force cheap melodrama that way, so in the end we have good heroine routes(most of the time) and two last routes that disrupt from the rest and are boring at least.

It's a decent tittle, could be much better, but the "Key style" with cheap drama and predictable supernatural elements make it worse, in my opinion. Maybe the problem is that i already read that type of story a thousand times.

If you like Key novels, it's a good vn, though little than Clannad, more than Rewrite. But in my metric, nothing exceptional.

It is a game that was not supposed to be "Key" but ended like rehash of every other Key game due to no good ideas.
In my opinion it doesn't suffer from that because let's be honest, who really has read Kanon or Air in this year of 2018? Instead of still trying to come up with NEW COOL stuff for the old fans, it is better to keep going the KEY path introducing the "genre" to new fans. Maeda himself doesn't really agree with this but this is only my opinion after all but I have to wonder if the writers thought this was good too.
Maeda gave pretty much free hands to the 3 (there is actually 4) writers of the game and they went with KEY magic instead of something new Maeda wanted.

The heroine routes are short, but so is the summer vacation, and has very little actual romance but that is to be expected from these short routes. The quality of these routes range from pretty meh to very emotional. None of this matters to be honest though because the secret of KEY games is the final emotional scene in the true route. People still talk about KEY games like they were MOST POP thing during their time but that is not true at all. They were popular yes but not the most popular ones. The reason why KEY games still have kind of a cult following is that they are all about that emotional final that makes them memorable. Summer Pockets belongs to this category too. Will it still be a big title in 10 years? Who knows. I have no idea really what other people thought about the true end lol. I can see the potential though. 

In the end it is a very KEY game with its multiple mini-games, hidden events inside the game that are fun to explore with a great cast, funny scenes, and filled with nostalgia.
If you are a person that likes KEY (but don't know it yet) this is a game for you. If you are a person that likes KEY and have played all of their titles then not so much I guess. Depends if you mind the similar aspects of the story or not.

16 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

It is a game that was not supposed to be "Key" but ended like rehash of every other Key game due to no good ideas.
In my opinion it doesn't suffer from that because let's be honest, who really has read Kanon or Air in this year of 2018? Instead of still trying to come up with NEW COOL stuff for the old fans, it is better to keep going the KEY path introducing the "genre" to new fans. Maeda himself doesn't really agree with this but this is only my opinion after all but I have to wonder if the writers thought this was good too.
Maeda gave pretty much free hands to the 3 (there is actually 4) writers of the game and they went with KEY magic instead of something new Maeda wanted.

The heroine routes are short, but so is the summer vacation, and has very little actual romance but that is to be expected from these short routes. The quality of these routes range from pretty meh to very emotional. None of this matters to be honest though because the secret of KEY games is the final emotional scene in the true route. People still talk about KEY games like they were MOST POP thing during their time but that is not true at all. They were popular yes but not the most popular ones. The reason why KEY games still have kind of a cult following is that they are all about that emotional final that makes them memorable. Summer Pockets belongs to this category too. Will it still be a big title in 10 years? Who knows. I have no idea really what other people thought about the true end lol. I can see the potential though. 

In the end it is a very KEY game with its multiple mini-games, hidden events inside the game that are fun to explore with a great cast, funny scenes, and filled with nostalgia.
If you are a person that likes KEY (but don't know it yet) this is a game for you. If you are a person that likes KEY and have played all of their titles then not so much I guess. Depends if you mind the similar aspects of the story or not.

tl;dr its garbo if you dont like key

its not garbo if you like bad writing 

:salt:

I intended to read it myself, but a friend did it for me ^^.

We were pretty hyped for this game... Nijima Yuu + key ? I mean it should have been awesome ^^. After his feedback, i'm not even sure i want to play this game.

Sadly from what he told me, there are two route that are not good at all (one being the true route so...). It seems that Nijima Yuu couldn't write as he wanted which is a shame since it's a good writer.

It's very high rated on EGS but you can't take that into account (Key fanboyism is still a thing ^^). Anyways, i've read some people that said it was a "Key game" (as in clannad, kanon, air, not rewrite), but not a good as the usual and that the plot was more or less the same as their previous works.

Honnestly i think they should have let Nijima write his own thing with this one. I guess they wanted to have that Key games feeling that rewrite didn't have. In the end they made Nijima write like Maeda for the sake of beng a "Key game", which is... a terrible idea if you ask me. While it is certainly not an aweful game, i wouldn't get my hope up for this one.

Edited by Tweek91330