Hello, pleb here

I'm a Singaporean who recently learnt about visual novels and decided to give them a try, I hope I came to the right community.

I started reading the visual novel, spice and wolf. Shortly after I learnt there were other types of visual novels, that are game like. I assume this community mostly focuses the latter.

I decided to try out a visual novel but I couldn't find a translated version of it, anything to do about this?

Also looking for good visual novel for beginners.

Edited by Visual Novel Pleb

Hello there! You sure came to the right place. I wonder what do you mean by visual novels that aren't "game like"? You mean physical light novels, or VNs without gameplay? ^^

You can find tons of translated or original-English visual novels in places like Steam or specialized shops such as MangaGamer or JAST USA (NSFW). If you can tell what VN you wanted to read, it's easy to check whether it was translated on The Visual Novel Database.

And I'll recommend you Katawa Shoujo, Cinderella Phenomenon, One Thousand Lies and Soundless, as a good start. They're all free, so time is the only investment you'll need there. :)

1 hour ago, Visual Novel Pleb said:

oh oops, I thought they were the same

Heheheh! However no worries since we got you covered! If you love Light Novels that much, I'll be able to grant.... Guidance in a certain place in cyberspace where you could obtain discretely.... :sachi:

Well for starters if you like to play/read a certain Visual Novel, its better to begin with the basic ones such as Fault Milestone 

Anyways welcome to the community and hope you'll enjoy staying here!  :mare:

2 hours ago, Visual Novel Pleb said:

oh oops, I thought they were the same

Light Novels and visual novels are quite different. A light novel as you have experienced is a physical book with occational drawings here and there while a visual novel consist of a combination of text, drawings, sound and often voice acting. The typical way a visual novel is built up is that you have the majority of the time spent looking at character sprites over a background with text at the bottom and often voice acting for the written text. Other than that there are also some drawings that are used for specific scenes these are called CG. There is a wide variety of visual novels so I guess I could tell you some basic info. Most visual novels have some sort of choices that make the story move in a different direction. For instance some feature many cute girls and depending on your choices you get get into her character route where the main character who you play gets together with the girl, think of it as a harem anime, but where you can choose to go after the girl you like the best. It can also be used in things like mystery VNs where your choices determine how things turn out, whether or not you are sucessful or whether you fail. There is also another type called Kinect visual which is a visual novel without any choices, here you just progress through the story by clicking each time you want to move on to the next textline/voiceline, so the important thing is that there is no branching story. There are also some visual novels that are a hybrid with other types of game genres, for instance RPGs or fighters that use visual novel format for the storytelling parts. While they are quite different from light novels they still both have lots similarities in terms of writing and authors can often be writer for both types of media. For instance you mentioned spice and wolf, the author of spice and wolf also wrote the visual novel World End Economica.

Edited by bakauchuujin

11 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Spice and wolf isn't a visual novel. It's a light novel. These are different terms. You can't find a visual novel that isn't "game-like" because technically they are games.

Well, welcome anyway. :sachi:

There is actually a Spice and Wolf vn for the DS, it is just not translated.

Anyway, welcome Pleb! I hope you can educate yourself on this genre we are all fond of

I would suggest maybe playing Katawa Shoujo  or World End Economica since it is written by the same person who wrote spice

As for Spice and Wolf VN, as of now it's untranslated so if you want Spice and Wolf translated VN there's nothing so far. Anyway, welcome to Fuwanovel and if you interested with more VN i can suggest you something like World End Economica (Same author as Spice and Wolf), Chaos Head and it's spiritual successor Chaos Child (Or maybe you want to jump to Steins Gate immediately), Kanon, and Fate Stay Night. I hope that you'll have fun here, and feel free to ask for more suggestion if you already read the title that I mentioned.

Edited by littleshogun