Detective VN

Roulette

Any worthwhile detective fiction? I've read almost all of the english translated ones so a recent or untranslated vn is what I'm looking for.

Also, things involving science fiction and supernatural elements is a big no-no for me. Something grounded in reality like G-senjou is what I want.

I'm currently reading Chaos;Child but since it's a sequel to Chaos;Head(which I do not have a fond memory of), I can already see myself whining and nitpicking at the end of the game and it too has sci-fi elements so there's that.

Edited by Roulette

That's one of rare genre in the VNs there, so the title itself is quite limited. As for the translated one maybe you can try Phoenix Wright, especially the Investigation spinoffs. While if you want to try untranslated one, perhaps you can try both of Caucasus and Pianissimo (Both from same developer as Kara no Shoujo). Also if you still didn't try that yet, you can try OELVN Lucid9. I hope my recommendations will be helpful to you.

3 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Have you played Cartagra or Kara No Shoujo yet?

If not then go for that.

Well I said I read almost all of the translated ones. Cartagra and Kara No Shoujo and its sequel I've already read.

57 minutes ago, Silvz said:

So no Umineko for you? Well, ~if~ you change your mind about supernatural elements, go for Umineko no Naku Koro Ni.

As for games, I really can't remember any. What I can recommend is to read Agatha Christie, and you probably know why.

Already read Umineko. My best vn to date.

Also read most of Agatha Christie's work as I'm a big fan of whodunnit type novel not to mention she was the queen of detective fiction, still is.

3 hours ago, littleshogun said:

That's one of rare genre in the VNs there, so the title itself is quite limited. As for the translated one maybe you can try Phoenix Wright, especially the Investigation spinoffs. While if you want to try untranslated one, perhaps you can try both of Caucasus and Pianissimo (Both from same developer as Kara no Shoujo). Also if you still didn't try that yet, you can try OELVN Lucid9. I hope my recommendations will be helpful to you.

Phoenix Wright is already on my list.

Sorry to say this but I'm not particularly a big fan of Innocent Grey. Cartagra and KnS left a bad taste for me constantly breaking my immersion cause of the characters and the convoluted plot lines. It's seems that for once, weird japanese shit doesn't mix well with detective story grounded in reality.

Lucid9 seems cool also it's an OELVN so that's a plus. Added to list.

If it really is such a rare genre then I guess I should abandon my hopes of finding another game like G-Senjou..

Thanks for the suggestions guys. If there's any more then please recommend by all means.

https://vndb.org/v16858

Based in past Japan.  The protagonist is a Japanese magistrate in the Edo era.  For a bit of background, a magistrate during the Edo era served as investigator chief, prosecutor, jury, and judge all in one.  Because of this, magistrates in the later Edo era were often badly corrupt or obsessed with making examples rather than discovering the truth of an incident.  The protagonist is a strait-laced type though.

Butterfly Seeker would have been a recommendation for me, if the protagonist wasn't a (very limited) psychic.  It is one of the few mystery VNs I've honestly enjoyed.  The protagonist in this one is part of a school club of detective trainees, each with a peculiar talent (such as the main heroine's extreme empathy, another one's analytical abilities, or the last one's natural talent for subduing suspects).  He's got a sort of Hannibal Lector/Clarice dynamic going with an imprisoned killer that makes it more interesting, at least to me. 

Same thing for Sakura no Mori Dreamers (both are based in cities with extremely high murder rates from serial killings), though Sakura no Mori is a lot more heavy on the fantasy crap. 

I know a couple of detective Visual Novels since its one of my favorites! :nico:

Although they are kinda old if that's alright with you, hope you like it!!! :mare:

Eve: Bust Error

Adam: The Double Factor

Chain The Lost Foot Footprints

Hmm... I still have one to recommend however you say don't like science fiction and supernatural elements and a big no no correct? 

Anyways here it is and never hurts to try....

Divi Dead

Believe what you will, but the Supernaturals are very real...  Heck even Hitler was a satanist, he even practices divination. Crazy dude:makina:

And that's one of the reasons why he hated Jews...

As for science fiction, long time ago, Artificial Intelligence, Jet Pack, Robots were a work of fiction. Time has passed then these things are now in the present and is very real... Fiction is a clever way to tell a lie even though it isn't 

Anyhow wish you all the best and hoping you'll widen your horizons, you'll be missing a lot if you disregard playing VNs/Games with science fiction or supernatural elements... Heck even a hardcore RTS gamer like me wants to take breaks from playing realistic WWII games such as Company Of Heroes, The Commandos Series, Men Of War, Sudden Strike. The list goes on :mare:

Edited by Templarseeker

10 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

From what I've read so far, Chaos;Child has a lot of elements of detective work and is basically a giant mystery. I've been really enjoying it so far and I think you should try it out.

Currently reading that.

10 hours ago, Clephas said:

https://vndb.org/v16858

Based in past Japan.  The protagonist is a Japanese magistrate in the Edo era.  For a bit of background, a magistrate during the Edo era served as investigator chief, prosecutor, jury, and judge all in one.  Because of this, magistrates in the later Edo era were often badly corrupt or obsessed with making examples rather than discovering the truth of an incident.  The protagonist is a strait-laced type though.

Butterfly Seeker would have been a recommendation for me, if the protagonist wasn't a (very limited) psychic.  It is one of the few mystery VNs I've honestly enjoyed.  The protagonist in this one is part of a school club of detective trainees, each with a peculiar talent (such as the main heroine's extreme empathy, another one's analytical abilities, or the last one's natural talent for subduing suspects).  He's got a sort of Hannibal Lector/Clarice dynamic going with an imprisoned killer that makes it more interesting, at least to me. 

Same thing for Sakura no Mori Dreamers (both are based in cities with extremely high murder rates from serial killings), though Sakura no Mori is a lot more heavy on the fantasy crap. 

Ouka Sabaki added to list.

Planning to read Butterfly Seeker simultaneously with C;C. I wouldn't be bothered with some amount of psychic stuff as long as its a good detective story. Also this game having one of the best part of Silence of the lambs integrated in it is something I can't wait to read.

Already planned to read Sakura no Mori since I heard a lot about this game but just not now when I'm a bit fed up of fantasy stuff.

3 hours ago, Templarseeker said:

I know a couple of detective Visual Novels since its one of my favorites! :nico:

Although they are kinda old if that's alright with you, hope you like it!!! :mare:

Eve: Bust Error

Adam: The Double Factor

Chain The Lost Foot Footprints

Hmm... I still have one to recommend however you say don't like science fiction and supernatural elements and a big no no correct? 

Anyways here it is and never hurts to try....

Divi Dead

Believe what you will, but the Supernaturals are very real...  Heck even Hitler was a satanist, he even practices divination. Crazy dude:makina:

And that's one of the reasons why he hated Jews...

As for science fiction, long time ago, Artificial Intelligence, Jet Pack, Robots were a work of fiction. Time has passed then these things are now in the present and is very real... Fiction is a clever way to tell a lie even though it isn't 

Anyhow wish you all the best and hoping you'll widen your horizons, you'll be missing a lot if you disregard playing VNs/Games with science fiction or supernatural elements... Heck even a hardcore RTS gamer like me wants to take breaks from playing realistic WWII games such as Company Of Heroes, The Commandos Series, Men Of War, Sudden Strike. The list goes on :mare:

Those are some really old games. Heard about Eve and Divi and are already on my list. Added the others too.

I don't hate sci-fi and supernatural elements in a detective fiction. I think I have read more mystery vn with sci-fi/fantasy stuff than not. In fact, my favourite vn is Umineko which contains loads of supernatural elements. I'm just looking for something more grounded like G-senjou for a change of pace.