Looking for some non-depressing VNs

eru777

Do you have suggestions on non-depressing visual novels? I'm interested in something in Japanese, so that I can practice (I studied for 5 years and quit a year ago).

I don't have anything specific in mind, eroge or not. I'm just interested in a nice story mostly. I am probably going to order the game "Island" by front wing one of these days, after a long search. Looks like a nice story but without too much drama. Basically I really enjoy the music in KEY games but they are far too depressing (I hear) so I'm staying away from them.

I've played: Persona 3, Tears to tiara II, Danganronpa, Steins;Gate

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm mostly looking for a PC title. I was thinking of getting a PSvita but it's at the end of its life-cycle and already discontinued in my country (Sony is probably going to release a new handheld soon).

Edited by eru777

1) Assuming your definition of far too depressing is clannad, then you are wrong. Not all Key's stuff are like that VN. Rewrite is one of the most unique VNs I had ever read as it combines several genres together successfully (imo) into a single VN (but also features one of the most convoluted stories I had ever read). Summer Pockets also seems quite far away from Clannad. Ofc both have have pretty serious theme for it's story, but I think they are far from depressing.

2) Shogun-sama wa Otoshigoro

Reading an incomplete leaked CN patch of it now. I think it's a cliche-filled, but interesting VN; catchy music, a interesting (ancient JPN) story setting (I don't think there are a lot of VNs set in the historical JPN era), likeable characters, humorous written story which can maintain my interest, among others. Give it a try ^_^

Clannad is not that depressing most of the time, I mean, it has a lot of drama for every character, but also tons of slice of life. I feel that Kanon, that was the VN that started the former Key trend, is way more tear-inducing. I really only cried with Ushio.

Also remember that nakige always ends on a positive note, so the negativity is undone.

Edited by Okarin

Fureraba . The plot is basically "high school dating drama". It is loaded with comedy though.

* Nekopara series. If you want a mindless read about ultra cute (and ultra horny) catgirls, look no further.

Kono Oozora . Light hearted all around, but still has some light drama and adventure.

Grisaia no Kajitsu . A mixed bag. The comedy is insanely good. But it does have some pretty dark moments too. Still, watching those girls move past their traumas in the good endings is rewarding too.

As for Clannad ....... it's far less "pure depression" and more "it's themes will smack you in the heart", to make you cry bittersweet (and sometimes happy) tears.

Late to the party here, but I guess it's better late than never lol. Anyway as far as recommendation for non- depressing VN concerned, I would like to recommend both of Wagahigh and HatsuKoi although beware though that the latter MC might be not satisfy you. Those two VNs were more or less full of lighthearted moment, so I think it might be interesting to you. Other than that, you can try both of Noble Works and Dracu Riot in which both of those were pretty much very light hearted VNs despite some drama. Oh and I would like to seconded Fureraba here, and maybe Koiken Otome as well. I hope my recommendations will be helpful to 

Edited by littleshogun