Would you please recommend me a VN to read over the summer?

Happiness+

So, I just read Kara no Shoujo The Second Episode, Saya no uta, and Phenomeno. Thanks for recommendations guys. To say, I enjoyed Phenomeno would be an understatement. I did not think I would be this impressed by it. Saya no Uta, to be frank I knew about its status for a while now. I am still hitting myself for not reading it sooner. I was almost shedding a tear during one of the endings.

Anyway. Since it' summer, length isn't an issue for the moment.

I am looking for a visual novel that is artsy, poetic, and avant-garde.

The kind of visual novel that makes you think as well. The kind that pushes the VN medium to new levels.

The VN needs to be in English.

Edited by Happiness+
Clarity

1 minute ago, Happiness+ said:

So, I just read Kara no Shoujo The Second Episode, Saya no uta, and Phenomeno. Thanks for recommendations guys. To say, I enjoyed Phenomeno would be an understatement. I did not think I would be this impressed by it. Saya no Uta, to be frank I knew about its status for a while now. I am still hitting myself for not reading it sooner. I was almost shedding a tear during one of the endings.

Anyway. Since it' summer, length isn't an issue for the moment.

I am looking for a visual novel that is artsy, poetic, and avant-garde.

The kind of visual novel that makes you think as well. The kind that pushes the VN medium to new levels.

Pretty sure I know the answer, but does it have to be translated? 

If so:

Ayakashibito

Tokyo Babel

I would recommend Sekien no Inganock and Shikkoku no Sharnoth if you have not already played them, for they are quite poetic and avant-garde.

I haven't played it yet but just looking at some of the images it is clear that The House in Fata Morgana is plenty artistic.

Whole Steampunk series is very artsy and poetic, and in very good way. Sakurai Hikaru, the writer behind the series, has a very unique writing style that you could describe as poetic and a bit theatrical. Definitely not for everyone, but if the style clicks these VNs can be most beautiful experiences. Plus the "Steampunk/Alt-history/Cosmic horror"-setting of the series is super interesting and intricate. Gahtkhun of the Golden Lightning is probably the best place to start.

SeaBed is other worthwhile option, bit unusual and potentially really thought-provoking VN too. SeaBed ditches most of dramatic elements you would expect from a mystery, or just any story in general, and delivers a hypnotic story with dreamy, diary-like narration about coping with loss and living with your problems. 

I'm not sure whether both of Chaos Child and Chaos Head did have some artsy language or not, but I definitely can recommend that because at least it make you thinking. Also if you interested with dream, then you can try Hapymaher that was released today. You can also try YU-NO as well, although the graphic might be too old for you though (I find that the graphic itself is quite fine if a bit outdated). I hope my recommendations will be helpful to you.

Edited by littleshogun