How can we make visual novels more popular in the west?

bakauchuujin

11 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Ironically, this doesn't really have to be a problem. Just take books for example - people don't like to read? No problem, that's why we have audio books nowadays. Most VN's are very dialog focused and the bigger ones are usually fully voiced.

You are basically arguing for VNs fully voiced in English. It doesn't sound like that will happen until English languaged VNs have a completely different kind of sales. Sounds a bit like the chicken and the egg kind of problem.

21 minutes ago, tymmur said:

You are basically arguing for VNs fully voiced in English. It doesn't sound like that will happen until English languaged VNs have a completely different kind of sales. Sounds a bit like the chicken and the egg kind of problem.

You're right about that, the situation is certainly a lot different with English voices than with Japanese ones. I have yet to see a bigger VN fully voiced in English. I'm not even sure if I've ever read a shorter one with English voices. I heard Huniepop has English voices, even with semi H-scenes, but I never played that.

7 hours ago, tymmur said:

You are basically arguing for VNs fully voiced in English

If that means no Japanese voices - please, noooo! (EVNs are different matter of course).

Just like with anime - I strongly prefer subs over dubs.

More on topic - if to get more popular VNs have to completely change from what they are now - I don't see the point, and I don't want it. いやだ!:reeee:

Edited by adamstan

18 hours ago, Narcosis said:

People have to finally understand high quality, story-focused vns aren't the main focus of publishers, because - ironically - they don't sell. Why? Because almost all western people don't want to read.

Fixed for you and agreed.

Dies irae is like 100-120 hours long, Umineko too, CLANNAD as well, Rewrite, Fate/stay night Realta Nua, Root Double Before Crime After Days Xtend Edition all very long titles.

Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 are like 50-65 hours long.

Manga and anime sell well enough in the west, but Light Novels and Visual Novels not so much.

Just look at the sales of VN from the leaked Steam owners.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As long as fans or company keep translating Japanese language VN to English language VN and fans keep buying and or write article or review about Visual Novel games. it can only become more and more popular. It's pity that eroge or nukige VN sells more than story focused VN.  

Edited by Acrylic7